PDA

View Full Version : Impose Standard Cset Guidelines?

ShadowTiger
09-02-2002, 11:25 AM
When I started my first "real" Quest, (My first 3 I stopped B/C I only had V1.90.) using PrinceMSC's Mystic Land Tileset, (The earlier one.) I had to import some enemies from NewfirstFIXED in 163. (or 152. Forgot which :confused:.) So when I imported them, they all had yellow outlines, and totally messed up colors! Naturally, I was rather discouraged. (But the might of ZeldaClassic prevails yet again, and I found myself toiling over an overheating computer for many hours fixing the colors without any wish to stop. -Such is the power of ZC!:D)

So I would like to ask you all if we could make ALL Csets use permanent colors. This would entail:

1) making the last spot 63,63,63 (White) and the spot before that pure black. (0,0,0) This would be applied to all quests.

2) Making all colors, wherever they are on the Cset, go in descending order of color, so if you had three blue colors, the lightest blue would go in slot 9, the next darker in 10, the darkest in 11. (Blue, of course, would not be restricted to those spots. :lol:)

Now many of you I am sure enjoy making custom Csets, and by extension new graphics packs totally from scratch. I too have dipped my flippers into that area numerous times. It isn't that hard, but when dealing with other people's Csets along with yours, things tend to get kinda messed up.

So I'm thinking: Wouldn't these standard Cset Guidelines make things easier?....

Nick
09-02-2002, 01:10 PM
It's rather easy to select the red color wand, select the color black, then click on the color you want to be black. :eyebrow:

Also, doing csets like that would greatly limit originality and I'm not about to go with it.

Importing from other sets requires recoloring. It's one of the facts of Zquesting that can't be changed.

Teilyr
09-02-2002, 01:12 PM
That's what I was thinking.. Recoloring is a fact you have to deal with if you want to import tiles from other tilesets that use different palettes.

Knightcrawler
09-02-2002, 07:05 PM
Brittanianhero, almost everyone who makes their own tiles needs new colors for certain things. If you do this, there will be less custom tiles around because people will be limited in what to do. If you're using other people's work, keep in mind that they worked for you harder than you're working to correct the colors.

Kairyu
09-02-2002, 08:58 PM
Anything BUT a good idea... This pretty much eliminates the purpose of a Pallette editor. Besides, that Pallette would clash with every Pallette I've personally designed. EVER. I just go Transparent, White, middle Grey, then whatever colors vary for the Pallette, and for the last color, I have Black. It'd just mess stuff up without having enough advantages to make up for it.

ShadowTiger
09-03-2002, 11:02 AM
My point here was that all of the Csets should have only the white and black AND their positions altered. Well, not exactly altered, but in all future Csets if they will be alike, there would be less problems. So I'm not saying that everyone should alter theirs Now, but in the future, since everyone's white and black will be the same, you won't even have to do that little amount of red-wanding. See what I mean?

Tygore
09-03-2002, 05:56 PM
Good idea on paper, but it wouldn't work. Quests woul have to be redone to ensure backwards compatability. Just do the work, it's not so bad.

Nick
09-03-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Britannianhero4
but in the future, since everyone's white and black will be the same, you won't even have to do that little amount of red-wanding.

This translates to, "I'm too lazy to click the mouse two or three times". Ok... maybe not that harsh, but it sounds like that to me. :eyebrow:

Basically, I still hold the same arguement as before. Some sets don't even have a solid white or solid black in them either, so this system simply won't work.

I can see why you complain though. The process is long and lengthy with multiple tiles. Importing tiles and recoloring is rather easy once you get the hang of it. You can even use the right mouse button as a second color like in paint, thus there is another time saver.

ShadowTiger
09-06-2002, 10:43 AM
Rest assured, good non-Zora types, that I am not lazy. I took the time to recolor the whole thing. (It just took a while. :sweat: ) I know about the right click thing. I was merely trying to suggest something to make things easier, but no I see the error of my ways. (Perhaps I should have put it in suggestions.... :confused: )