PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Fanboy V. 2 (IGN)

Warlock
08-31-2002, 04:06 PM
Warning in advance, this will prob. take multiple posts (damn character limit).. here's the link for Insiders, otherwise the thing is below:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/369/369681p1.html

----------------------------------------------------
This week's topic: How should Nintendo market Metroid Prime?

Peer responds: I think this goes back to what we talked about last time. Nintendo was off to a good start with the GameCube commercials last year, but you can't change the consumer's image of the company with one set of commercials. "Playing Nintendo" once meant playing videogames. Now it basically means, "what my kids are playing." Nintendo, not just Metroid, has to be seen as cool.

My suggestion is to go with a campaign that introduces a slogan like: "This is Nintendo?" Start the commercial off with footage of the original Metroid -- cue the latest version of the Metroid intro music. Have a movie-style narrator say: "In 1986, one woman redefined videogame shooters." Cut to Super Metroid. "In 1994, she returned in what many call the best game of all time." Then cut to the space station from the Metroid Prime intro -- without sound. Camera slowly zooms in on Samus. Narrator: "It's been eight years. She has changed. You have changed. WE have changed." Camera quickly goes into her helmet to switch to the first-person perspective. BOOOOM! Unleash 10 seconds of quick, cut-together scenes from the game that show off some of the coolest monsters and weapons, the visor effects, the morph ball -- loud stuff, a la the Alien trailer. "Metroid Prime" -- then flash some stats at the side that show "Dolby Surround," "HDTV-compatible," "Real-time lighting," "Bump mapping," and "Only on Nintendo GameCube."

The idea is to capture the attention of geeks with the old footage, but also show mainstream gamers that this is not your little brother's Nintendo anymore. Nintendo has been way too conservative in touting what the system can do. Throw around the big words that older gamers like, even if many don't understand what they mean. Let them know that GameCube is cutting edge. Show them that Metroid is cutting edge.

Matt responds: I like the idea of the commercial. I would have suggested something entirely similar had you not beaten me to it. You bastard.

But I don't think that one more cool commercial is enough to change Nintendo's image, either. It needs to really build up to something big with Metroid Prime; really stress that the game is hip, cutting-edge, and designed for adult audiences. Perhaps a viral campaign -- something similar to the DataDyne-related Perfect Dark marketing -- could be effective. That, though, is only a starting point.

The simple truth is that it needs to spend some money. It can't whip up a half-assed attempt to sell the game and then rely on brand recognition to do the rest. As much as Nintendo might want it to be, the Metroid franchise is not Mario or Pokemon -- it's a relative unknown to the mainstream audience.

Microsoft faced a similar hurdle when it brought out Halo and it succeeded far better than anybody could have dreamed. Why? It laid out the cash. It had a great product and it promoted the hell out of it. It turned the game into its flagship title and people bought it.

Nintendo has the momentum. Metroid Prime at least comes from a partially recognized brand. To the hardcore audience, the franchise is one of the best. It also has massive hype. The game exceeded expectations at E3 2002 and has continually been named as one of the products to get later this year. So Nintendo needs to capitalize on that.

Run the commercials. Hell, blitz the nation. Spend money. Spend money. Spend money. Nintendo can afford it. Game over gimmicks: show gameplay footage, not Samus running around in a stuffed suit. The footage, with the right presentation, is all anybody needs.

Peer was definitely onto something when he noted that Nintendo should stress the technology too. That's absolutely right. Prove that GameCube can compete. The biggest misconception in the industry is that GCN is less powerful than PS2. People are hesitant to buy into what they perceive to be the crappiest console. That's a lie Nintendo itself nurtured as it refused to ever say otherwise, to always stay conservative. So squash it. Show the footage and say that it runs at 60 frames, that it runs in progressive scan, that it supports Dolby Pro Logic II.

Make Metroid Prime the flagship game. It's clear that the gaming audience is older so why not appeal to them? Mario will still sell. Pokemon will still sell. Metroid Prime, however, will sell systems. Offer it in the bundle. Make available a limited edition Samus colored gold GameCube and ship it with the game for a reasonable price. And again, spend some damn money to promote it.

Craig responds: Back when Star Fox was coming out for the Super NES, Nintendo did a series of teaser ads a month before the game was set for release. They were 15-second shots -- quick blips of gameplay footage (and other stuff, since the graphics were kind of ass in these brief, split-second clips) combined with the release date fading in dramatically.
Now, I don't know if it was because I was eagerly awaiting the game's release, but those ads really got the adrenaline going. Nintendo can definitely do the same thing here with Metroid Prime and perhaps even trigger the Nintendo nostalgia with quick (and I mean, really quick) shots of Samus in her yesteryears -- blown-up pixels and all. Show how much she's evolved with gratuitous, external fly-by shots of her standing and posed via GameCube in-game footage, of course.

And, hey, the tagline: "The Bitch is Back."

Mmm, nah. Too far, methinks. But then again...

Fran responds: Craig, if you ever bad-mouth Samus again, that will be the last of you! Even if just for a joke, I'll have none of it.

Moving on, I think you all have some very good ideas. Like Link and Mario, Samus definitely has nostalgic appeal. Certainly not nearly as much, but the old-school gamers remember her fondly. So, Nintendo should definitely do some kind of 15-second TV spot to appeal to that audience. I was thinking something along the lines of what Peer had in mind. Cue up the music that played in the intro to Super Metroid. From the inside of a Samus's high-tech visor, we see her scanning her past. Clips of Metroid on the NES, Metroid II on the Game Boy, and Super Metroid on the SNES play in high-contrast to the background that lies beyond the visor. I think something like this would be a great approach, because it focuses on the new first-person view behind the visor as well as highlighting her past.

There's obviously a lot of room to stick text onto the visor as well, which has a lot of flexibility. Anyhow, at the end of the shot the camera can dramatically -- in a David Fincher directed sort of way -- pull out of the visor to reveal the ultimate sci-fi hero, the "here to kick a$% and chew bubble gum" bounty hunter, that Samus has become. I'm sure Nintendo could find an in-game scene to suit this need. The taglines at the end could read:

Making History
Metroid Prime
November 18, 2002

This should only be the start, though. Like Matt said, Metroid Prime is a title that will sell systems. Maybe Nintendo doesn't realize it, but if Microsoft can successfully catapult itself into the market place with the image of "Combat Evolved," basically the U.S.-Army in the year 3000, then Metroid Prime should be extremely potent. This isn't a franchise that is distinctly Mario or Zelda. In contrast to that, Metroid Prime has the added advantage of being ultra-cool sci-fi. If Nintendo wants to change its image or prove that it caters to both ends of the demographic spectrum, this is the game to do it. It is not comical. It is not light-hearted.

It's slick. It's cool. It's sexy. The first person at Starcom or Leo Burnett -- Nintendo's advertising think tanks -- that thinks differently should be removed from the account.

I totally agree with Matt. Make a budget for Metroid Prime -- and then double it. Sony and Microsoft may not have as big franchises this year, but they do already hold a ton of consumer interest. The longer Nintendo takes to get aggressive, truly aggressive, the bigger the gamble, and there's no turning back. Now is the time to strike, and Metroid is the right the property to do it.

There's more I want to say, but I'll take a breather before I continue.

Matt responds: I had a buddy over to the office the other day who used to play videogames, then joined the Air Force, and as a result hasn't really followed the scene for several years. After showing him Super Mario Sunshine and Star Fox Adventures, both of which he thought were "nice," he asked me what game I thought was going to be Nintendo's must-have offering this year. I told him Metroid Prime, and then showed him the E3 2002 footage.

His eyes lit up. He kept asking, "This is the Metroid from the old systems?" He was pretty well blown away. Then, the most revealing comment to me, he said: "I can't believe Nintendo is making this."

I think that's the perception that a lot of gamers and non-gamers have -- that Nintendo makes Mario and Pokemon; that "adult" games are on the other systems. So Nintendo would be really smart to play off that and to show its potential buyers that GameCube has all kinds of titles, including dark, sci-fi themed ones with unbelievably cool main characters.

The buyers interested in Mario and Pokemon alone already own a GameCube. Metroid Prime will sell the system to the other guys.

Warlock
08-31-2002, 04:10 PM
Cory responds: I can't agree more with Matt and Fran on one point in particular: spend that marketing budget, Nintendo! The company obviously can't rely on brand name recognition alone to sell Metroid Prime a million times over, because, as everyone has said, it's just too niche. And it's been so long since the last Metroid title, that even the hardcore Metroid fans are starting to forget what Samus is all about. There's really no other way around it -- it's time to hit the airwaves, Nintendo!
And, as cool as gimmicky events can be, please don't dress up some poor college student in a big fluffy Samus suit and drive her across the country in the "Primemobile" with GCNs strapped to her hips. That kind of marketing is always fun and creative, but it just doesn't reach the scale and type of audience that this title yearns for.

If I could offer one piece of advice to those sitting around the Metroid marketing table, it would be this: movie trailers! Combine the best of the ad footage ideas given by Peer, Matt, Craig, and Fran, and do what you did with the AWESOME Majora's Mask movie trailer. Could you imagine a Metroid Prime trailer of this style running before a Friday night flick? Opening night movie crowds are target-rich environments for future Metroid gamers -- like Matt said, the type that are looking for a good excuse to buy a GameCube. Put together a quick, 30-second trailer that's packed with so much dark, eerie, ass-kicking Metroid style that people stand up and applaud.

Send them running from the theatre to their local game store to get their names on the preorder list.

Be bold. Don't be clever. Be aggressive. Don't hold back -- Nintendo can't afford to be conservative at this point in the game. The significance of a successful Metroid Prime launch goes far beyond just the financial success of one deserving Nintendo title. Nintendo's image has finally reached a breaking point in the mind of gamers -- the unjust "kiddy" mentality has recently spread to epic proportions throughout the gaming community. Metroid represents the climactic battle in Nintendo's war for widespread popularity with the older gamers. If it does something risky, something hardcore, and even something flat-out badass, then perhaps our favorite gaming company will have some long-term hope for turning the tide in the years to come.

Matt responds: Good tip, Cory. A rocking movie teaser campaign would be sweet.

Another area where Nintendo has really been lacking is in retailers. I think that it could and should turn over a new leaf with Metroid Prime and the Platinum Edition GameCube.

For example, the GameCube kiosks. Have you seen these things? They are craptacular. They're these small, stupid, toyish kiosks with terrible televisions and sound that retailers like Electronics Boutique tuck in the backs of their stores. When the Star Fox Adventures demo came out I went to EB to see if it would draw attention and nobody cared; the kiosk sat, dusty and all, in the back of the store. The volume was so low on the game that I couldn't even hear it. The screen was washed out. What the hell kind of demonstration is that? It's as if Nintendo doesn't want to be taken seriously.

It needs to shell out some cash and give Metroid Prime a proper promotion. Release a single-level demo -- the one from E3 2002 even, and put it in new kiosks with progressive scan televisions and booming sound. The bigger the screen the better. Encourage retailers to turn it up. Get the attention of gamers. Also, I'd tie the game into the Platinum system as much as humanly possible. All Metroid kiosks should come equipped with the silvery console. It just looks cooler.

Get Samus POP displays out there -- now! Don't wait. Build hype. Get people to know the game. I guarantee you retailers will put those POPs up the same minute they get them in and then gamers will start to ask about Prime, to wonder what it's all about. Then follow with the new and improved Kiosks.

Cory responds: And to take Matt's playable kiosk idea one step further, why not do something that gamers have been begging Nintendo for since day one?

Playable demo disks!

A playable version of Metroid Prime delivered in the mail to gamers across the country would be the perfect capstone to the awesome marketing campaign that we've described above. And I'm not talking about just sending it out to Nintendo Power subscribers -- we all know that those guys are already on the preorder list.

Package the demo disk along with other things:

Sent out to IGN, EGM, GamePro, and other subscribers.
Sitting on retail counters, free for the taking!
Packaged with upcoming Nintendo titles, such as Star Fox Adventures!
Other creative outlets, such as cereal boxes, night clubs, or schools.

Even if it's the same E3 2002 demo we played this past May, put a taste of Metroid in their mouths and make gamers start frothing and foaming for more. These discs would get passed around from friend to friend, shown off at parties, mailed to relatives -- it would be huge for Nintendo.

It would be perhaps the smartest marketing move Nintendo could make to build the Metroid hype. We all know that nothing builds hype faster than word of mouth, and nothing would get gamers more excited to talk about Metroid Prime faster than having played the killer title for themselves. Now all Nintendo has to do is just step up to the plate and spend that marketing budget!

Craig responds: And get that E3 demo of the GBA Metroid Fusion sitting right next to that GameCube kiosk. You don't have to give away the connection...but folks seeing the new, old-school style Metroid sitting there, ready to play, hoo man. Bait that hook and reel them in.

Fran responds: Continuing on those thoughts, I think you may be going a bit overboard with progressive scan kiosks, Matt. It's hard enough for electronics stores to get demo progressive scan units, let alone thousands of GameStops and Electronic Boutiques across the country. But, beside that point, you are absolutely right. The GameCube kiosks are very, very poor. Talk about an afterthought, huh? Maybe Nintendo just hasn't any faith in letting gamers have the hands-on experience. Seems kind of backwards to its philosophy that if it has good games it will sell systems, though.

Oh, and speaking of the Platinum GameCube, if Nintendo is going to do any marketing of the console this year, I think that the silver colored edition should be pushed hard. Even if it is limited, it looks very cool. It's that edgy look they need to get across to consumers. Metroid, Star Fox, and anything specifically not targeted towards the younger audience should use the black and silver consoles in the commercial.

As for movie trailers, that was next on my agenda. Cory read my mind. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time trailer was genius. Nintendo used music that tugged at the strings of every gamers heart, and packed in footage of some of the coolest parts of the game. Nintendo absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, needs to get into movie theatres in a big way this holiday season. The second year of a console's life is one of its most important. Like we're all saying, there's no room to sit back and gamble on Metroids or GameCube's success this holiday season. Going overboard is not going to hurt. If anything, it will have the competition choking to catch a breath.

There are also a few very good opportunities to capture the attention of could-be Metroid Prime fans. The Core and Solaris have familiar sci-fi themes. Following I'll list the short descriptions of the films:

The Core: "When Earth's core starts to change and threatens to stop the planet from revolving, a band of NASA "terranauts" is formed to pilot an experimental deep-earth ship to try to fix it by setting off a nuclear detonation."
Solaris: "Directed by Steven Soderbergh. After the mysterious demise of one of three scientists on a space station above an ocean planet, the replacement arrives to find the other two cold and secretive, along with visions of his dead wife."

Okay, so Solaris's theme really isn't quite as familiar as The Core's, but it's going to be an awesome sci-fi space movie, I'm sure. The point is, along with getting gutsy and spending a ton of money to get a trailer before Lord of the Rings: Two Towers, those two movies would be nice candidates too -- both for doing trailers and also promotions of some kind. I could see radio stations across the country giving out free silver GameCubes, Metroid Prime, and tickets to Solaris. How cool of a prize package would that be?

Finally, I do think that there is some amount of room available for witty or clever ads. But they'd have to be handled real delicately. For example, I was thinking that one of the coolest things about Metroid Prime is that Samus Aran is easily one of the sexiest female lead characters ever. She's this mysterious, green-haired or blonde-haired girl that wears, like, cloth bikinis under her ultra cool space suit. Behind that visor, she's a whole lot of woman. ...Okay, yes, I know she's not real. But, let's face it, Lara Croft is popular for a reason. Nintendo could do cool little magazine ads in Maxim and Playboy. Maybe something that revolves around "Size S," and have the logo instead. It's not like they have to ruin it and show Samus, but they could show her legs and space suit behind the drape of a dressing room. Or maybe just have her suit hanging somewhere on the "Size S" rack. I don't have a detailed idea of this, but the point I wanted to make is that there is room for some amount of cleverness if Nintendo wants to be. They just have to be careful not to stray too far from being serious.

The Silent Assassin
08-31-2002, 04:16 PM
The biggest point I saw that is so true:

Boast. Nintendo can do it a press conferences, they did it back in the NES/SNES days...they don't do it now! Get the message out!

Promo Tapes! Where the HELL DID THEY GO. Though cheesy, they at least gave you live footage of the games!

DEMOS. HOLY FUCK. NINTENDO NEEDS TO START RELEASING DEMOS NOW THAT IT IS PLAUSIBLE.

Or even better, release TEASER CD's (like the one that came with Nintendo Power awhile back) for your computer.

mrz84
08-31-2002, 05:14 PM
i must say that these guys have the right things in mind that the big n lacks. creative advertising ideas. sure nintendo had some good ones. but these ideas make them pale in comparison. :kawaii:

vegeta1215
09-01-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
The biggest point I saw that is so true:

Boast. Nintendo can do it a press conferences, they did it back in the NES/SNES days...they don't do it now! Get the message out!

Promo Tapes! Where the HELL DID THEY GO. Though cheesy, they at least gave you live footage of the games!

DEMOS. HOLY FUCK. NINTENDO NEEDS TO START RELEASING DEMOS NOW THAT IT IS PLAUSIBLE.

Or even better, release TEASER CD's (like the one that came with Nintendo Power awhile back) for your computer.

Yeah, Nintendo really does need to do all those things.

I remember the videos they used to send to NP subscribers. They were great. DK Country, Starfox, N64, Jet FOrce Gemini, man, all those game they sent videos out for were really top notch games. I don't know why they ever stopped doing that.

Oh, the teaser cd as TSA mentioned was really cool.

The Silent Assassin
09-01-2002, 03:51 AM
Nintendo of America needs to hire an AMERICAN advertising specialist...or else stop applying Japanese Business Models to the US...