PDA

View Full Version : HP and Dell drop M$ Office in favor of Corel

AlexMax
08-29-2002, 07:22 PM
Too good to be true?

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1028186043520&p=1012571727304

Yep, HP and Dell are finally offering alternatives to Microsoft products bundled on their machines.

Rejoyce!

vegeta1215
08-29-2002, 07:53 PM
I was excited when I heard that Dell and HP are getting smart and trying to get away from MS, but switching to Word Perfect? Come on, the thing's practically dead, even Corel is trying to forget they own it by withdrawing the international versions.

My question is, why not Open Office or Star Office? They're much more recent, will continue to be developed, and are very compatible with MS Office documents! If you ask me, Dell is gonna remain Microsoft's #1 bitch. As for HP, I dunno.

AtmaWeapon
08-29-2002, 08:03 PM
To me, that just means that now if I buy a Dell, I'm going to have to take the time to go and buy MS office myself.

Oh, and it's spelled "rejoice", but you were probably too busy configuring your toaster to telnet and be an IRC server to worry about that.... :P j/k I AM NOT MEANING THAT IN AN INFLAMMATORY WAY!! IT'S A JOKE OK????

vegeta1215
08-29-2002, 08:05 PM
Why pay so much for MS Office when Open Office is free?

AtmaWeapon
08-29-2002, 08:09 PM
1) I like MS Office
2) The computers at my school and everywhere I go use MS Office
3) I know you can probably use Open Office to save in MS Office format, but it's easier to use MS Office and not worry about it.
4) I already know MS Office, and from my experience with Star Office it's just too hard to adjust.

gdorf
08-29-2002, 09:28 PM
Star office is much like MsWord.. but I won't say anything else, because you obviously get angry when people are anti-microsoft. :tongue:

AtmaWeapon
08-29-2002, 09:35 PM
I just hate when I tell people I like a specific software program, and they're all like, why? Why the crap do I need to explain to you why I like a software suite? I like it. Live with it. If you want to use an alternative, good for you. Don't try and tell me how stupid I am for using MS Office.

vegeta1215
08-29-2002, 11:14 PM
Well, I do agree with you in some respect. Once you get used to a program, it's hard to start using something different. For instance, it's taking me a long time to learn the GIMP cause I'm so used to using Paint Shop Pro.

btw Atma, no one was calling you stupid, but if it seemed like I was harping on you, I'm sorry.

AtmaWeapon
08-29-2002, 11:23 PM
Nah. I want to learn the GIMP. Me want. I tried once, but I think the fact that I know nothing about image manipulation in the first place is the reason I couldn't figure out how to do a lot of things. From what I've read, the GIMP is supposed to be every bit as good as Photoshop... and it's free...

mrz84
08-29-2002, 11:24 PM
now if only they could send gates back to the nether regions everyone would be happy. :p ya i use ms stuff but i hate bill gates. can't i do both if i wanna? :kawaii:

The Savior
08-29-2002, 11:24 PM
Photoshop is also free if you know the right people.

The Desperado
08-29-2002, 11:57 PM
One step at a time people. We should just rejoice the fact to someone is taking the first step. Things cant just change around in one move. they probably choose Corel because the name "Word Perfect" is more familiar to consumers. Most causal buys dont know what Star Office is like, so they would be more inclined to stick with Microsoft (since they know the name). Word Perfect is about the most recognized word processor other then M$ word. So it makes since to offer a alternative that people are familiar with.

gdorf
08-30-2002, 12:31 AM
Photoshop is also free if you know the right people.

I don't really know the people I download things from on kazaa. :tongue: