PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Power alternative?

Erasul
08-25-2002, 09:54 PM
Nintendo Power just isn't what it used to be. I've been a subscriber for about 10 years I guess, and it's just gone downhill. I'm looking for a new magazine, any suggestions? I'm thinking about buying a couple of magazines when I go to get Mario either Tuesday or Wednesday and see which one I like best. I just want some opinions on various magazines.

Tygore
08-25-2002, 09:57 PM
I persoanally reccomend Game Informer.

Dragon
08-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Of the multi-platform magazines I would recommend Electronic Gaming Monthly. However, while I don't know the names, there are some other Nintendo-only magazines that are better than Nintendo Power... they might be a better replacement.

Daarkseid
08-28-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Dragon
Of the multi-platform magazines I would recommend Electronic Gaming Monthly. However, while I don't know the names, there are some other Nintendo-only magazines that are better than Nintendo Power... they might be a better replacement.

EGM is the best, in my opinion. The editors seem perfectly non-biased towards any system, and as well, the magazine is very entertaining. Its not uncommon for me to find myself laughing at some of the things in the magazine.

satanman
08-28-2002, 09:37 AM
:king: NGC :king: is probably the best for anyone in the UK (and a few european countries), but they probably don't do them in america. :eyebrow:

ZeldaLord
08-28-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by satanman
:king: NGC :king: is probably the best for anyone in the UK (and a few european countries), but they probably don't do them in america. :eyebrow:

I second that (I live in Europe).

Nintendo Official Magazine (Europe's Nindendo Power) is just as bad as NP (biased reviewers, short, boring reviews, ect.).

And no, I don't think you can get NGC in America (and even if you could, you'd have to pay rediculously high postage fee).

Mak-X
08-28-2002, 04:29 PM
Electronic Gaming Monthly
http://egm.gamers.com

Great for lots of previews and reviews on games for all platforms, not biased, and they have great content. I need to subscribe instead of buying a issue every month.
They aren't big on game strategies though, previews and reviews and news are their big points.

AlexMax
08-28-2002, 04:56 PM
EGM, by far.

Oh and by the way, I did pick up a Nintendo Official Magazine when I was over in Europe Last. The cover was Jet Force Gemini, and it tried to pump up what ended up being a mediocre and hard as hell game. It did, however, show a preview of Perfect Dark, and when i came back to the US, nobody at my school had even heard of it.

"Hey Tilton, do you like Goldeneye?"

"Yeah."

"Theyre making an even better Goldeneye. It's called Perfect Dark."

"Nah...Goldeneye will always be king..."

And then it came out... ^_^

mrz84
08-28-2002, 05:15 PM
i say egm. i agree with daarky and the others. on top of what they said, it also has an interesting comic. now if only i could get those guys to send me the other 23 issue they owe me from last spring. :P

Erasul
08-28-2002, 10:54 PM
I guess I'll go with EGM then. Thanks guys. I think I'll go play Mario Sunshine now...

Fade to Black
08-29-2002, 06:41 PM
I'd go with either EGM or Gamepro. I like Gamepro myself, I find it to be funny at times, and they usually have a lot of content.

Daarkseid
08-29-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Fade to Black
I'd go with either EGM or Gamepro. I like Gamepro myself, I find it to be funny at times, and they usually have a lot of content.

Gamepro seems horribly cheap to me. Its always seemed that way, actually. I didn't particularly care for any gaming magazine after I stopped subscribing to NP in 1998. But then somehow, not sure how, but I got a free deluxe issue of EGM, and was kind of amazed at how much content the magazine had and how well it seemed to be put together. I subscribed around 6 months later, because somehow I signed up for some EGM deal where I thought I was going to be sent a free issue, from then I could subscribe, but instead they took it as a subscribe now, pay later, and 6 months later they were making some sort of threats in their subscription payment letters.

mrz84
08-29-2002, 08:51 PM
lucky you. i paid for a 2 year subby (24 issues) and only got 1. that was about 4-5 months ago. and its already paid and junk so where's the other 23 they owe me? did i do something wrong to deserve this? :shrug: