PDA

View Full Version : Super Justin Bailey patch!

vegeta1215
08-25-2002, 12:16 AM
I know some of you may have heard about this before, but I tried it out and wanna tell ya what I think ;)

For those that don't know, the Super Justin Bailey patch is a ips patch for the Super Metroid ROM that lets you play as Samus in her bathing suit (just like in the original Metroid when you used the Justin Bailey code or beat the game in under 3 hours).

At first, I heard alot of criticism about the patch (esp from the FAQ doc included in the download), but after trying it out, I must say I am very impressed: Samus looks excellent. All her poses and movements flow very nicely, and the "zapper" gun in her hand looks really neat. Even the background of the Samus menu screen (hit start then R) has been changed to reflect her new look. Though I didn't play long, I'm anxious to see how Samus's look changes when she gets the Varia, Gravity suit, and other items.

In short, if you haven't already, try the Super Justin Bailey patch out: http://www.classicgaming.com/mdb/fanapps.htm

Icey
08-25-2002, 12:35 AM
Yeah, that's a pretty cool patch. It was really well done.

Daarkseid
08-25-2002, 02:26 AM
Some of you are going to think I'm a freak for this, but here I go...

whoever gave this a bad review is a fag. And I don't care how many more girls this 'fag' has gotten than I have, but how could not appreciate the gorgeous cleavage that Samus now bears?

I also got the Varia suit, and the only difference is the color of her suit. First its purple, with the Varia, its red.

MottZilla
08-25-2002, 03:08 AM
I think the patch is high quality and pretty neat. Esspecially considering what he had to work with.

MasterSwordUltima
08-25-2002, 06:41 AM
Oh how I wish I could download stuff from Fileplanet.com...

Warlock
08-25-2002, 06:43 PM
Hey, someone post some pics.. I want to see it but I don't feel like downloading and patching right now :p

vegeta1215
08-25-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
Some of you are going to think I'm a freak for this, but here I go...

whoever gave this a bad review is a fag. And I don't care how many more girls this 'fag' has gotten than I have, but how could not appreciate the gorgeous cleavage that Samus now bears?

Exactly! I was really shocked when I read the FAQ that came with the patch. The FAQ had some questions like:

Q1- Who the heck is Justin Bailey, anyway?
Q2- Have you no sense of anatomy?
Q3- But I think they all look really bad. Not very professional
Q4- Why are her feet so small?
Q5- That looks nothing like Samus!
Q6- Why does she have a Star Trek lookin' blaster? She's supposed to have an arm
-cannon!

I don't know if the writer of the patch made those questions up himself to appease even the hardest critics, or they were actual questions from another person. Either way, they are bogus questions. This patch rules, period.

btw, Warlock, I'll try to post some pics. I just hope the Linux version of ZSNES can take snapshots like it's DOS/WIN wounterparts.

Icey
08-25-2002, 06:59 PM
Those questions sound like they came from a two year old... I mean, those are pretty retarded. The patch was well done and was great.

jman2050
08-25-2002, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I posted a topic on this a while ago, as well as on the Metroid hack Metroid X. The guy who did this is awesome. Sure Samus could have looked a BIT better, but c'mon, he said himself he wasn't professional. And Samus looks sweet :D .

Warlock
08-25-2002, 07:35 PM
I tried running it, but the thing runs like crap. The graphics become garbled when the station is read to explode, and when she gets to Zebes, it usually freezes on me! doh! Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe it's just my rom

Edit: was my rom.. downloaded a new one and it ran fine.. wierd.. I think I was using the japanese rom tho (because the place I originally got it at said the %@%@$@ german/french one was the english one!!).

MottZilla
08-28-2002, 02:24 AM
Ya, with the wrong rom everything is offset wrong and it could very easily destroy graphics and vital game code.

Warlock
08-28-2002, 01:40 PM
I beat it w/ the patch.. I did notice a couple bugs tho, most namely being that Mode 7 scaling of Samus (Grappling Beam) got messed up sometimes (seemed to be when I was on one of those walls of grappling blocks, you know where you use the GB to climb the wall).. also there were some things about the Samus sprite I would have improved (her legs didn't seem shaded right to me :D), but otherwise it was pretty good :D

vegeta1215
08-29-2002, 12:08 AM
Neat. So I guess her bathing suit turns red when you get Varia, right? What color does it turn when you get the Gravity suit? A purple color similar to the one you have at the start of the game?

Also, any other neat or different things happen when you use the Sped Boost or Screw Attack? Like, how does Samus look during those techniques?

Masamune
08-29-2002, 09:42 AM
i thought samus had green hair... o_0 other than that this patch kicks!

Warlock
08-29-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by vegeta1215
Neat. So I guess her bathing suit turns red when you get Varia, right? What color does it turn when you get the Gravity suit? A purple color similar to the one you have at the start of the game?

Also, any other neat or different things happen when you use the Sped Boost or Screw Attack? Like, how does Samus look during those techniques?

It turns blue :/

And the other ones sort of look the same as before, except of course, like samus w/o the suit..

MottZilla
08-30-2002, 03:30 PM
Still, I think the creator deserves alot of credit for making something that good.

vegeta1215
08-30-2002, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I think it's a badass patch. He definitly deserves more credit.

I'd also like to try MetEdit, which is also for download in the MDB. Betcha that's really cool too.

MottZilla
08-30-2002, 03:55 PM
MetEdit allows you to move "objects" and change their type. However You cannot create new objects. This can put a kink in your plans.

Anyway, it's a really neat editor. If you knew how you might be able to use it in combination with some hacking skills to create a very nice hack.