PDA

View Full Version : The search function

Beldaran
08-19-2002, 06:06 PM
One thing that I've not liked about the disabling of the search function is that the button entitled "View New Posts" no longer works. I used to use this button all the time, and have felt slightly one legged since its dismantling.

Is there any way to enable the search function so that part of the boards will work, still blocking normal usage of the search function, while at the same time not causing the boards to suffer whatever it was that the search function caused?

Just curious.

Daarkseid
08-19-2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran

Is there any way to enable the search function so that part of the boards will work, still blocking normal usage of the search function, while at the same time not causing the boards to suffer whatever it was that the search function caused?

Just curious.

Its my understanding, that if the search option were brought back without using the 300 or so MBs of disk space for caching, searching would take way too long to finish.

slothman
08-19-2002, 06:51 PM
I'm still not sure why the "view new posts" option can't just look in all forums for posts newer than your last visit. It wouldn't need a cache at all. Though I don't know how long it would take to do that. In either case it probably won't be reimplimented. :(

Cyclone
08-20-2002, 02:02 AM
I hear ya, sloth. I never use that button here, though I do use it at another board.

There must be a way to write a hack that compiles anything new from any forum; I mean, it can easily tell you a new topic when you open the forum, so why not allow a comprehensive, regardless-of-forum list?

Cyclone

Starkist
08-20-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Daarkseid
Its my understanding, that if the search option were brought back without using the 300 or so MBs of disk space for caching, searching would take way too long to finish.

I have DSL now, bring it on! :pimp:

slothman
08-20-2002, 03:39 AM
I looked at the vBulletin place for hacks and there is a thing that allows you to do that. I can get the link if you like. Unfortunately I don't know much about vBulletin so I can't help any more.

Icey
08-20-2002, 03:43 AM
I think it would be rather cool to have the View New Posts button re-enabled.

I do like all of search, but I'll take what I can get ;)

Hopefully that's something other than nothing :(

Warlock
08-20-2002, 03:44 AM
Yeah, from someone who is installing a new vb forum, indexing the search thing takes $@%@#%$@$ forever! And my forum only has around 13000 threads.. this one would be insane! It took me like 4-5 hours this afternoon to index mine..