View Full Version : Is my monitor dying?

Mak-X
08-19-2002, 02:16 PM
Recently my monitor has been getting lazy and only wants to show half the screen, the bottom part, now, putting a nice bright white line through the screen horizontally. The last time it did this, the screen suddenly went back to normal after a while. Anybody think my monitor is dying? And are there anythings that might be done differently to prevent my monitor from dying sooner?

As I write this I have IE squished in the bottom half of the screen, and I fear the scrolling and signatures shall soon kill me.

MrCow
08-19-2002, 02:20 PM
umm that happened to me once on an older comp. I forget if it was the monitor or video card. I think thats the monitor though. If it is there isnt much you can do. my suggestion is if you have another monitor hook it up and see if the same thing happens. if te same thing does happen its the video card, if not you gotta get a new monitor

Verman
08-19-2002, 02:22 PM
Do you have a sub woofer around your monitor anywhere...Those big magnets like to fvck up monitors...I had one of my 10s in my hand and I walked by my buddies screen...turned it purple until i left the room (i was 3 feet away)

Mak-X
08-19-2002, 02:27 PM
I've got 2 average desktop speakers next to the monitor but they've never caused a problem before.
I don't have another monitor to test with so that's out. It could be the video card, maybe the inside of the computer is far too dusty. I cleaned up all the wires and cables recently, including the connectors but that wasn't it.

Jigglysaint
08-19-2002, 02:28 PM
lol! My monitor just quit on me a few mimiutes ago! Noramlly I could fix it(the screen squished so there were 2 black spaces on the sides) by slamming a wrench into the side, but then it started flickering on and of, like a short of some sort. Anyway, now I'm forced to use one with a smaller screen, and the bottom is gone so I have to prop it up with a cd case and an old AA battery.

gdorf
08-19-2002, 02:40 PM
now I'm forced to use one with a smaller screen, and the bottom is gone so I have to prop it up with a cd case and an old AA battery.
Ahh, what we do to insure our AGN viewing. :)

I don't have another monitor to test with so thats out
Unplug your box and take it down to the local computer shop to "test out their selection of monitors". If they have the same problem, then you may want to invest in a new graphics card while you are there. If they run find, you may want to invest in a new wrench for your monitor. :tongue:

Also, think about replacing the cable between the printer and the computer, as that if often a trouble spot. Make sure all the little needles are attached, and make sure there is dust in the connectors.

And, the further away your monitor is stored from your box, the higher quality the cable should be. Good luck! And I hope it all works out!

MrCow
08-19-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by gdorf

Also, think about replacing the cable between the printer and the computer, as that if often a trouble spot. Make sure all the little needles are attached, and make sure there is dust in the connectors.

you sure about that one:Þ

Verman
08-19-2002, 02:57 PM
Yeah mr cow makes a point...I doubt a bad printer cable could generate enough interferance to mess up a monitor :P

Try moving you video card to another slot if its PCI...Just so you can cover all bases (this is highly improbable though)

Mak-X
08-19-2002, 03:13 PM
Hey, I just did a print screen of my desktop, and it captured the whole thing fine when I pasted it into a paint program. I guess that means my video card is ok?

Verman
08-19-2002, 03:19 PM
No........But if your video card wasn't working right the computer would probably beep during post and not boot up...Still if you cant get your hands on another one to test with you should...My bet is that you need a new monitor.

Jigglysaint
08-19-2002, 03:20 PM
ut's the monitor. Just slam somthing heavy into the side and that should fix it.

Hermit
08-19-2002, 03:25 PM
It means that what you are seeing on your monitor and what is actually there are 2 different things. I know all about monitor troubles. I kept my "hanging by a thread" monitor goin for over a year with queer little remedies here and there. The left side of the screen came to possess vertical waves that distorted the screen while the monitor viewing area itself decided to change size whenever it felt like it. The power plug in the back was also on the fringe because it was basically dangling inside the monitor so you had to plug the power cord in a certain way "jimmy the handle".

Anyway, to make a long story short... it's your monitor. I've seen just about everything a dying monitor can do, and yours is beginning it's death cycle ;)

All in all... that monitor lasted 4 1/2 years til it turned to shit. Then I made it last for another 1 1/2 years after that. Oddly enough it still works, I just decided I'd get a new monitor to finally replace it ;)

Mak-X
08-19-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Jigglysaint
ut's the monitor. Just slam somthing heavy into the side and that should fix it.

I tried that with my old TV a long time ago. After a while, it just stops working...

I figured it was the monitor. Its about 3 1/2 years old and its a generic brand monitor.

gdorf
08-19-2002, 04:53 PM
Yeah mr cow makes a point...I doubt a bad printer cable could generate enough interferance to mess up a monitor :P
Oh yes it could, I've seen it a few times. Check what I said again and maybe you'll see what Mr.Cow was pointing out. :rolleyes:

No........But if your video card wasn't working right the computer would probably beep during post and not boot up
What he did was a very good test of the video. Video cards can do lotsa funny things, and many of them don't just hang at boot.

Sorry about your monitor Mak-x. Seems alotta people are having troubles right now. hehe. *knocks on wood*