PDA

View Full Version : PC Problem!!!!!

Fiyerstorm
08-18-2002, 06:07 PM
My desktop was invaded!

Well..the winzip icon is overlapping almost all of my Desktop icons....there was a help support thing on windows that told me to delete something and Idid and restarted and it was still like that...here's a pic of my desktop:

http://slashercge.homestead.com/files/baddy.jpg

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Beldaran
08-18-2002, 06:11 PM
My reccomendation would be to go to control panel, then add/remove programs and uninstall winzip. Then reboot, get on the internet, and download winzip fresh from www.winzip.com.

good luck:)

Masamune
08-18-2002, 06:23 PM
or just delete the zip files. or if you like to archive your downloads, put them in a folder.

LordMagus
08-18-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran
My reccomendation would be to go to control panel, then add/remove programs and uninstall winzip. Then reboot, get on the internet, and download winzip fresh from www.winzip.com.

good luck:)

Rather than reinstalling WinZip, why not get UltimateZip (http://www.ultimatezip.com). It's a lot better and can extract a bigger variety of files.

Teilyr
08-18-2002, 06:41 PM
Yep. Sounds like a bogus winzip install, or just one of Windows' lovely mess ups. If you have an icon manager, such as Desktop Architect, re-apply your theme. Otherwise, do like the rest say. Uninstall winzip, clear the uninstall with an uninstaller program, then reinstall it from a fresh download.

Then reason you want to run an uninstaller program is to get rid of the registry entries which, unless your a comp expert, you should NEVER do manually.

Oh, and is just me, or is your "My Computer" directory called Snoz? :laughing:

Fiyerstorm
08-18-2002, 06:52 PM
Why yes it is and if you have a problem with that...you can suck it.

:O

Well Beldaran's idea didn't work so I'm gonna try that theme thingy...

EDIT: LOL!!!!!!1

I went to the Desktop Properties and I selected the option to show larger icons on the desktop and the icons turned to normal so then I turned it off and applied the new settings and they stayed normal! Cool!! Well thanx anyway guys! :ooh:

vegeta1215
08-18-2002, 09:37 PM
Woah, weird problem.

I stopped using Winzip long ago on WIndows. I think Power Archiver (http://www.powerarchiver.com) is way better. Plus, it even has a similar feel to WinZip, so it won't be hard adjusting at all!

fatcatfan
08-18-2002, 11:01 PM
I have to agree about power archiver, though last time I checked it had gone over to shareware. I'm just using the last freeware version. Problem is that it can crash on XP if you try to create a new folder while extracting.

Anyway, as for the icons, I see you got them fixed. This happens to me every now and then. If you have the TweakUI Control Panel Applet, somewhere in it should be a "Repair Icons" feature. It will fix the sort of problem you experienced, at the click of a button.

MottZilla
08-19-2002, 01:34 AM
That actually seems like it could be a virus of somekind.

minime
08-19-2002, 05:33 AM
it could be i got a virus from yahooo messenger, have u got that?

LKHetzel
08-19-2002, 11:14 AM
from zipcentral.com

Dark_Legend
08-19-2002, 11:56 AM
I agree with Motzzilla! I think it is a virus of some sort too! GODLUCK!

ZeldaFan001
08-19-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Teilyr
Then reason you want to run an uninstaller program is to get rid of the registry entries which, unless your a comp expert, you should NEVER do manually.

Where can I find such a program?

Darunia
08-20-2002, 05:07 AM
That happened me once, but with AIM. I solved it, just I don't remember how...

obi
08-20-2002, 10:49 AM
Actually, it may not be anything serious.

I recommend you get a program called Tweak UI or for you XP users, Tweak XP, it has a thing call 'Repair Icons' Which fixes that problem. But usually if that happens to me, I just right click and then go to the Refresh option that appears, that usually fixes it :)