PDA

View Full Version : Wth?

ShyGuy0824
08-17-2002, 05:13 PM
Okay, here's the scoop. Rarely do I ever post anything about my actual computer/ask for help with something. But I've lost my patience with this. And yes, it does relate to gaming, so hold on.

See, what happens is that for some reason, I can't seem to stay online for a long time for whatever reason. Every time I play MoH:AA I end up freezing the connection and screwing up the game. For some reason I 'lose connection with the server at random'.

This happens with my internet connection as well, so often I'll just finish a post on AGN hit the post button and come up with a no connection white screen of death.

I have a cable modem, a Linksys USB network adapter, claled the WUSB11 ver. 2.5. I know I have a firewall or something, because GamespyArcade gives me that warning every time I go on that as well. Can someone help me? It seems to time out after just under an hour every time, and I have to reboot so I can get online again.

Anybody have any suggestions to cure this?

EWild
08-17-2002, 05:19 PM
Well before you press the reply button Copy the message. That's all I got. =/

gdorf
08-17-2002, 05:28 PM
I have no idea, but I doubt it is anywrong wrong with your hardware, I use a linksys cable router.. so I can't help much.

Send an email to linksys.

Jemsee
08-17-2002, 07:45 PM
Don't know.
It's hard to troubleshoot somthing when you are not right in front of it.
But here is somthing you may try.
Try other forums see if it happens there.
Try different games.
Go to any old web page and just let it set and see if it turns off.
I seem to remember a setting in IE where if left idel the connection would autoterminate. And sometimes when in one site for a long time even when your doing somthing it would not reconize your activity and turn off the connection.
Trouble is I can't remember where that setting was.
It happened on my old PC and have not had the problem with this one.

Dark_Xero
08-17-2002, 07:51 PM
My suggestion, get roadrunner :D but if your out of cash or just don't want it, all I can say is copy before posting.

Hermit
08-18-2002, 09:39 AM
It's quite possible your troubles may be coming from you cable line (aka the cable line from your modem/tv to the electrical box out in the street somewhere). Cable modem lines operate differently from regular tv cable lines, eventhough they are 1 in the same. I can't remember the exact numbers but I'm pretty sure the cable modem line needs to be somewhere between -15 and 0, while your cable tv operates in the positives I think (sort of like a phone has 2 routes through it, 1 for analog, 1 for digital). Sorry I don't remember all the technical terminology mumbo jumbo for cable lines. It wouldn't hurt to get your line checked though. Some cable modems have lights on them that tell you how it's functioning. Mine, for example has 4 LED lights on it:

Power light (obviously power to the modem itself, plugged in)
PC light (flashes all the time when the PC is on and functioning)
Cable light (flashes when the modem itself is either downloading or uploading)
Status light (stays on when the modem has a good connection, blinks when the cable line goes out of whack)

My status light tells me whether or not my line is within the -15 to 0 limit for the line. Anything above or below that and it won't function. I guess you could call it a cable line frequency thing or something ;)