PDA

View Full Version : Cool (physics stiuff)

Beldaran
08-17-2002, 01:34 PM
The Race To Find the God Particle (http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,54507,00.html)

This was a pretty interesting article.

I think GlennTG especially will enjoy it, since he enjoys physics so much.

Yoshiman
08-17-2002, 01:57 PM
That HAS to be a load of crap. One little particle can't control all of the others.

Glenn the Great
08-17-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Yoshiman
That HAS to be a load of crap. One little particle can't control all of the others.

It never says that it controls all of the others. It does have a profound effect on all of the forces of nature. The Higgs boson is the theorized particle that gives other particles the quantity we call mass. The intermediate vector bosons (carrier particles of the weak nuclear force) have mass, meaning that the Higgs boson plays an important role in this fundamental force of nature as does its obvious role in gravity. Furthermore, quarks (which make up nucleons and mesons) and leptons (such as the electron) have mass, so this particle ties in closely with electromagnetism and the strong nuclear force. The point is, this particle, if it really exists, plays an important role in all of the functions of our universe, thus its name, "The God Particle."

I read a similar article in Scientific American a few months back, and you may remember me mentioning the Large Hadron Collider in Think Tank.

obi
08-17-2002, 03:17 PM
This actually sounds more like a Solar system, I mean without the 'God Particle', matter would not function properly. Thusly in a solar system , without the Sun, it would just fall apart. Tjhis gives way to my theory, that our solarsystem is just an atomic molecule of somesort in some larger world.

slothman
08-17-2002, 04:02 PM
I already have "seen" the Higgs boson. I am just looking at my skin and there are zillions there.
Hopefully it will be soon when they can actually do something with all these new-fangled particles. Creating a communications device that can go through anything using Neutronios for example.

Skatche
08-17-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by obi
This actually sounds more like a Solar system, I mean without the 'God Particle', matter would not function properly. Thusly in a solar system , without the Sun, it would just fall apart. Tjhis gives way to my theory, that our solarsystem is just an atomic molecule of somesort in some larger world.

Haha, many many people have thought that theory up. But no - the thing is that the particles of our universe have been found to be not points, or tiny spheres (as we tend to imagine) but waveforms. You simply cannot apply an idea like that to the solar system or even the whole galaxy or universe, so they could not be particles in a far greater whole.

gdorf
08-17-2002, 05:09 PM
I think the world is a marble, a pretty little marble that a giant being likes to keep in his dark closet and spin.

And I read something about the "god particle" in popular science awhile back.

Glenn the Great
08-17-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by slothman
I already have "seen" the Higgs boson. I am just looking at my skin and there are zillions there.
Hopefully it will be soon when they can actually do something with all these new-fangled particles. Creating a communications device that can go through anything using Neutronios for example.

Actually you can't see them. All any of us ever see are electrons that fire photons at our eyes. Whether or not these Higgs bosons play any role in the absorption and emitting of photons by electrons is something I don't know.

slothman
08-17-2002, 05:48 PM
That's why I put "seen" in quotes. I haven't really seen them in an optical view.