PDA

View Full Version : A sound and software problem.

Fatty Lumpkin
08-17-2002, 10:51 AM
I'm having a shitload of problems with my computer. I finally got my power supply up and running totally, after plugging in the floppy ower wrong and melting one of the cables. I realized my good CD-Rom's probably shot. And now my games won't load, and my sound won't work.:cry:

I'll start with the sound first. Ok, I'm in device manager, this is what I see (the * means it has the error):

sound controllers:
Maestro Device Manager
*Maestro DOS Games/FM Devices (Dos)
Maestro Enumerator
*Maestro MPU401 Devic (win/dos)
*Maestro Wave / Wave Table Synthesis Device
Wave Device for Voice Modem *disabled*
Wave Device for Voice Modem *disabled*

And here's the error:
This device is not working properly becaues the file (mmdevldr.vxd) that loads the drivers for this device is bad (Code 8)
To fix this problem, click update drivers to update the drivers for this device.

I replaced the drivers about 5 times from 2 different sources.

And for the gaming problem. My games won't load (except for Unreal Tournament), most importantly, Baldur's Gate II. I just installed it yesterday. The screen goes black like it's about to start, but nothing happens. I end up having to restart the computer.

Unreal Tournament loads up, but it's like there's three overlapping semi-transparent screens. So I can't really play it.

:cry:PLEASE HELP ME!!!!:cry:

Jemsee
08-17-2002, 11:33 AM
Jees, you melted some cables inside your PC.
*shudders*
That alone would make me start from scratch.
This is me now; I'd take everything apart, (backing up any files I deemed necessary) and test each piece as I put it in, if it don't work its scrap, and if it is a needed piece, I'm on hold till I get everything needed.
Then the HD gets reformatted, everything reinstalled, take notes on all programs as they load up, have PC guru phone # handy if needed.
But that’s me.

Teilyr
08-17-2002, 11:33 AM
Here's what I would do. Restart your comp, and go into safe mode. (9*/ME .. I haven't used XP) Remove all the entries from the "Sound, Video, and game controllers" field. Click apply, ok, then reboot. Windows should reinstall your sound card, without all the extra stuff. If you still have problems after that, you might want to call the manufacturer of the sound card, and explain your problem.

As far as the gaming, I'm not sure.. I don't play cd-rom based games. :shrug:

Fatty Lumpkin
08-17-2002, 11:53 AM
I don't have a windows 98 disk, I got the computer from my uncle. I'm going to borrow a 98 disk, but I want to keep ms office on my computer. I might just get a new sound card. I don't have any id or anything for the card i have now.

For now, I think I'll just grab my brother's spare hard drive and install 95 (which we do have).