PDA

View Full Version : Just to show how little I know about it... (PSOne system help.)

Kairyu
08-16-2002, 11:21 AM
:sweat: I have no clue about this topic, because... Well, because I never owned a PSOne (Or even a PSX for that matter) before.

Basically, does the PSOne (The new, smaller model) accept imported games? I know how to get Rockman & Forte to run on my SNES (I just use this adaptor thingy which looks like a Gameshark/genie, but doesn't exactly do anything useful), but this is totally new to me. Does a PSOne accept imported Japanese games? European games? "PAL" (What is that, anyway?) games?

Do I need to use some kind of trick to confuse it into using foriegn games? Or send it off to some far-off hacker for loads of money to have him dismember my system to allow it to work? Maybe some sort of adaptor to act as a middle man? Is it just not possible?

Thanks in advance, for any and all help.

DukenukemX
08-16-2002, 11:46 AM
I've never owned a PSX but I do know you need a mod chip. Theres no other way to play import games.

What you could do is download a emulator and play the import on your PC. That works for me.

Kairyu
08-16-2002, 11:48 AM
Yes, well, that sort of defeats the purpose of owning a system...

Can someone give me a little more information on these "Mod Chips"? All I have now is a name...

MottZilla
08-16-2002, 02:54 PM
My PSOne plays imports, and copies, and really just anything. Goto http://www.modchip.com and order yourself a psone modchip, if you are up to the task... My PSOne has a PSOne stealth modchip installed. Seems to work great for me.

Kairyu
08-16-2002, 04:47 PM
Thanks, Mott! The PS-X-Change-2 CD looks like what I might need... It works with the newer PSOne model, according to the website, and I don't have to open or weld anything in the system (Which would most certainly scare the heck out of myself, my brother, and my parents)....

By CD-R, does that mean I would be able to use a CD-Burner to copy games, and then play them on a PSOne? I didn't find the site to be very clear on that...

The swap trick doesn't look like it would damage the system, provided it's done quickly, so that shouldn't be much of a problem for me...

EWild
08-16-2002, 05:10 PM
Yeah if you had a CD burner and a MOD chip you could copy a game and play it on your PSone. But be warned, not all games can be burned. Methinks Capcom games won't work burned. =\ But confirm this first.

DarkDragoonX
08-16-2002, 05:16 PM
I have a burned copy of MegaMan Legends that I use on ePSXe...

EWild
08-16-2002, 05:20 PM
OK but some games just don't work. At least for me. =l

Kairyu
08-16-2002, 05:21 PM
Okay, I think I understand a bit better now... but what is the difference between the Stealth Mod chip and the Change 2 CD? Is the only difference that one has to be installed and the other needs to be "swapped"? Or is there something I'm still missing?

MottZilla
08-17-2002, 04:35 AM
Ok.

Stealth ModChip: This is a modchip you install into your system, and I don't recommend you doing it unless you know what you are doing. However this has the best results. A stealth modchip can also go in standard mode, the only difference is stealth mode requires you solder more wires. However the benifit is getting around anti-mod games without cheats.

PS Xchange: This is a disc with a piece or plastic I think to hold down the CD detector so you can keep the CD lid open without the psx knowing. You start with that disc in there, then it'll tell you when to take it out and put in the import or copy. This would be just like swapping say Final Fantasy 7's disc 1 with disc 2 when you'd reached the end of disc 1.

Now, both can play Imports, Copies (CDRs), and such. I find a stealth mod to be most convient and most effective. However it's not something for a beginner to try to install. You'd like break your PsONE. The Ps-Xchange would be the top choice, however good luck getting it. I hear is on the US Custom's seize list.

My advice would be if you want to take your chances, try to order a ps-xchange. Make sure its for NTSC U/C. Not J/C or E/C PAL.

NTSC U/C = North American PSX.

Anyways, see if that works out. If it doesn't... you could try getting a mod.

My stealth mod was installed professionally. It works great. If you can find a real and good professional that will install it, you could order the chip and have him install it.

Well good luck. If you have anymore questions just ask.

Kairyu
08-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Thanks again, Mott. I'm anything BUT a professional at this, so the Change 2 looks like the one I'll be using. Thanks!

MottZilla
08-17-2002, 11:59 PM
Ok, when you get it or whatever happens lemme know.