PDA

View Full Version : The LTTP waterfall sound

Teilyr
08-15-2002, 10:35 AM
I adore this new lttp sound scheme, except for 1 snag. The waterfall is LOUD, and to me, doesn't even sound like lttp did.. Could it be replaced in a later version by something quieter, and more zelda waterfall'ish sounding?

blckscab
08-19-2002, 04:17 PM
I agree with that. The waterfall is just way too loud and dosnt sound remotely like a waterfall if you ask me. It sounds more like huge waves crashing into a cliff or something like that.

MasterSwordUltima
08-19-2002, 06:52 PM
God your right! Please edit that DN!

Dark Nation
08-19-2002, 10:05 PM
I don't recall waterfall sounds being in Z1. There was ocean SFX, which I tried to recreate using Z3 sounds. :shrug:

Teilyr
08-19-2002, 11:07 PM
Don't get me wrong, DN. You did a great job. But, I dunno.. Something about it just seems out of place with the other LTTP sounds.. I'm fairly sure the waterfall in LTTP had a sound.. If not that, then the walking Zora area where you get the flippers.

Could it maybe be replaced with something like that, eventually?

Dark Nation
08-20-2002, 08:01 AM
Yes, the waterfall in Z3 had a sound. A waterfall sound. Z1 had no waterfall sound. It had an ocean surf sound. So, I took the waterfall sound and played with it some to create an ocean surf sound. If you have a better one, let me know and I'll review it for inclusion.

Teilyr
08-20-2002, 10:28 AM
Will do. Now to see if I can rip a wav...

Happyman
08-20-2002, 03:45 PM
Personally, I'd be fine just with the Z1 surf sound, it sounds very good for NES quality for that kind of screen...

ZeldaLord
08-25-2002, 03:19 AM
Isn't there a way to add a new SFX "Waterfall" as a screen flag? Apart from that, the sound is currently far too loud.

Off-topic: There're some other bugs, too: Some of the "item appears" sounds are still the same, the boss roars haven't changed, and there's still a cave entrance sound (there isn't on in Z3).

Teilyr
08-25-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by ZeldaLord
Off-topic: There're some other bugs, too: Some of the "item appears" sounds are still the same, the boss roars haven't changed, and there's still a cave entrance sound (there isn't on in Z3). Yes well, some things can't be helped. If there wasn't a sound in LTTP for something, then how would it be included in the pack? ;) As far as the cave entry, I like it. I say keep it.

ZeldaLord
08-25-2002, 04:48 AM
What do you mean there wasn't a sound for when a item appeared in Lttp? :confused:

As for the cave entrance sound, I like it too, I was just pointing out something.

Teilyr
08-25-2002, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by ZeldaLord
What do you mean there wasn't a sound for when a item appeared in Lttp? :confused:

As for the cave entrance sound, I like it too, I was just pointing out something. Can't remember. My only save state in LTTP was after you beat Ganon. But the secret sound works well. Plus, I think you have to stay within a certain parameter without rewriting code. What do I mean? Well, DN could add a brand new sound for item appear.. But, it could be too much work for something so miniscule. :shrug:

ZeldaLord
08-25-2002, 05:59 AM
I can't remember the exact sound, all I know is that the "item appears" sound in Z3 is not like that.

The item pickup sound is often weird too, and the rupee sound is completely different. :odd:

Dark Nation
08-25-2002, 09:07 AM
I was following the Z1 template. So, if a sound was used in Z1 for 2 different things, then my sound pack reflects that. I want to upgrade and duplicate things at some point, though, so the sounds match better.

What "item appears sound" are you referring to? Give me an example of an item appearing.

Also, about the cave sound, the sound is that of stairs. When you enter a cave, it looks like you are walking down stairs. So, I used the stairs sound from Z3. That's why it's like that. :shrug:

Teilyr
08-25-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Dark Nation
I was following the Z1 template. So, if a sound was used in Z1 for 2 different things, then my sound pack reflects that. I want to upgrade and duplicate things at some point, though, so the sounds match better.

What "item appears sound" are you referring to? Give me an example of an item appearing.

Also, about the cave sound, the sound is that of stairs. When you enter a cave, it looks like you are walking down stairs. So, I used the stairs sound from Z3. That's why it's like that. :shrug: I thought the stair sound worked well. Personally, I felt there wasn't a need for an exactness for cave entry, nor does anyone that I've seen, except ZL. :tongue:

Thanks for putting what I said in simpler terms.. I was thinking sound template, but it came out totally different.

Also, .. Is there anyway could you create a utility that could allow users to create sfx.dat files? This way, if someone had a completely non zelda quest, they wouldn't be limited to just using zelda sounds. This isn't high up on my list, but the idea just kinda popped in my head.

ZeldaLord
08-25-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Dark Nation

Also, about the cave sound, the sound is that of stairs. When you enter a cave, it looks like you are walking down stairs. So, I used the stairs sound from Z3. That's why it's like that. :shrug:

I like the stair sound, it works extremely well for caves, but it's weird with houses (whick use the cave 2 combo to make it look like you're going straight in). I say add a screen flag "no cave2 SFX".

As for the item sound, play 1st.qst with LttP sounds, and go into a room where you have to kill all the enemies for an item, when the item appears, the Z1 sound plays.

Teilyr
08-28-2002, 12:28 AM
You mean that high pitch chime sound, like in level 1, where you kill keese for a key?

ZeldaLord
08-28-2002, 04:09 AM
Yeah, it should be changed.

Demimore
08-29-2002, 03:14 AM
It would be good if you could use a custom WAVE file for all the sfx's in Zelda classic

Teilyr
08-29-2002, 04:39 AM
Pretty sure I suggested that already. ;) Not in so many words, but still the same.