PDA

View Full Version : wav=midi

blckscab
08-12-2002, 06:34 PM
How can I turn a wav into a midi?
I am sure that I have asked this before but I have forgoten how and what you need:rolleyes:

Kirby of Doom
08-12-2002, 06:40 PM
I don't think you can turn a wav into a midi. However, I think there must be a to turn a midi into a wav. (that's not what you want, is it.)

blckscab
08-12-2002, 06:46 PM
no, I need the wave into a midi so I can use it on zelda classic

Kirby of Doom
08-12-2002, 06:50 PM
Well, the closest thing I can think of is make your own midi. You can find a program that does that on cnet.com. They have a bunch, but the one I use is Noteworthy Composer. It's easy, you put they notes and all that other music notation stuff and you got yourself a midi.

blckscab
08-12-2002, 06:53 PM
K, i'll go and check it out now

Beldaran
08-12-2002, 07:13 PM
Yes you can't convert really. There are some program that "claim" to be able to do it, but they don't really work well. The problem is that midi is a set of instructions that your sound card uses to produce sounds, whereas a wav is an actual sound file. You can't really go from a digital sound file to a valid set of instructions. Its like asking if you can decompile a video game into its source code.

Hermit
08-12-2002, 07:18 PM
If the wav itself only has 1 instrument in it, you can use any generic Wav->Midi converter. Some do better jobs than others.

If your wav has more than 1 instrument, especially if those instruments are played simultaniously, you'll have to write your own midi. There aren't any programs available that can distinguish between note or instrument frequencies for multiple instruments effectively. The end result is simply garbled crap on a music staff.

So those are your choices, find wavs with 1 instrument to convert, or compose your own midis from scratch.

blckscab
08-12-2002, 08:22 PM
Guess I have met a dead end then...
Im rubbish at making my own midis so I guess I will have to stick with vgmusic *shudders at the thought of bell tones*

Hermit
08-12-2002, 10:10 PM
You could PM Dechipher or someone like that and see if they might be willing to do you the favor of rewriting it into midi form for you.

I don't do that kind of work anymore unless I feel it's worth it both for me and the person I'm doing it for.

What is it you wanted to convert anyway ?

blckscab
08-12-2002, 10:40 PM
Well, its not very important anymore. It was just a few gameboy midis that I managed to rip from the game but it was turned into a .wav file and I couldnt figure out how to make it a midi.
But like I already said, It isnt very important anymore.