PDA

View Full Version : Step aside GBA...

MasterSwordUltima
08-12-2002, 01:36 AM
Introducing, the GP32 Game Park.

This handheld from Korea is more that a match for the GBA. It has in its favor the soon to be released SDK, built in usb port and use of standard smart media cards. These especially should make programming for it relatively simple. Expect Emulators and home brew games to start appearing. There are already some programming examples availble. Future releases also look promising with Breath of Fire 3, Street Fighter Zero 3 and Rockman X5 from Capcom, Fire Pro Wrestling from Spike, and King of Fighters from SNK.

http://www.retro-games.co.uk/gp32/gp32.gif
A picture of this thing. Looks just like the GBA...only...white.

Also, check out the site where I found the GP32, apparently MegaMan X5 is being ported to it???(everyone has it but me) http://www.retro-games.co.uk/gp32/gp32.htm

Menokh
08-12-2002, 01:37 AM
and it is only linkable with windows meaning they are cutting off 13-14% of the Desktop market. smart....

Looks neat though. It had better come out over here!

Hermit
08-12-2002, 01:52 AM
There was a thread about this not too long ago.... I remember the thread starters main tpoic was how much of a rip-off of the GBA this thing was.

I'll look for it in a few minutes.

Daarkseid
08-12-2002, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Menokh
and it is only linkable with windows meaning they are cutting off 13-14% of the Desktop market. smart....

Looks neat though. It had better come out over here!

13-14%? Do they even care!? Probably not. When Nintendo's making its games only for the GC, its cutting off an even more substantial market. 13-14% is paltry, my friend, PALTRY!!!

Its probably cheaper to allow it to connect to only one OS, and which OS are they going to choose?

And does the GBA connect to any OS platforms? No! Just the GC! Thats cutting itself off from several other platforms, making for an even greater base of consoles it doesn't support than the amount of OS that the GP32 is cutting itself off of.

Hermit
08-12-2002, 01:58 AM
Apparently the older topic about this thing is too old to appear in this forum anymore, hence I have no way of finding it or linking you to it :(

Oh well... I tried.

MasterSwordUltima
08-12-2002, 02:11 AM
How can a "clone" of a GBA play MegaMan X5 though? Thats a 32 Bit game...or can it handle that much power?

Warlock
you can change how old the topics are you can view Hermit :D

Anyways, I don't care much about it as Gameboy has all the games I like right now anyways, most of which are Nintendo titles on top of that (can't wait for LTTP re-release! :D)

Daarkseid
Originally posted by Hermit
Apparently the older topic about this thing is too old to appear in this forum anymore, hence I have no way of finding it or linking you to it :(

Oh well... I tried.

Yeah, actually, there have been three topics on the GP32 when counting this one. The first one was posted by Shyguy(I believe) almost a year ago.

And I think its too bad this thing is Korea only. 320x240 resolution would make it the most ideal platform for many of these remakes that non-Nintendo companies are putting out on the GBA. Capcom is even bringing two of its own games onto the GP32...

Nintendo should rethink its policy on the GB, now that Yamauchi is gone. The next gameboy should be more like this... and possibly use the same game storage medium as the GC.

Menokh
08-12-2002, 02:13 AM
The only problem I can see with the GP32 is that being connectable to Windows and storing games the way it does, is that it will be far easier to copy games and spread around copies of them.

How will they protect against that?

Daarkseid
08-12-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by MasterSwordUltima
How can a "clone" of a GBA play MegaMan X5 though? Thats a 32 Bit game...or can it handle that much power?

Lets see, the GP32 is a 32-bit system, and MegaMan X5 is a 2D platformer made for a 32-bit system. I think the GP32 could very accurately port MMX5, even better than the GBA could, in fact. The only thing it couldn't copy would be any FMVs that MMX5 had, but those are merely window dressings, anyhow.

MasterSwordUltima
08-12-2002, 02:17 AM
They don't know about that, it was made it Korea! Seriously though, I dunno, they might make the Save Files that the GP32 makes on your system hidden or something, but I doubt it.

mrz84
08-12-2002, 11:28 AM
looks like a cross between the dremacast controller and the gba. looks ok and if it can port 32-bit games on the portable, i'm all for it. but the memory saving system sounds like gates would pull out of his ass. :P

EWild
08-12-2002, 11:32 AM
Meh, my GBA has all the games I want, but if this machine get's a lot of good games then I'll consider buying it. But untill then my GBA is still the one I'm using.

Dark_Xero
08-12-2002, 11:38 AM
Yah, our GBA is good for now. In time, if that comes out here, buying it will depend on the games it plans to release. I'm not buying a hand-held sytem for like $120 if there's only gonna be like 30 games for it.

MottZilla
08-12-2002, 04:01 PM
Daark, MegaManX5 has an opening FMV and the Capcom Logo FMV. That's all. The opening FMV will be replaced by something done in real time more than likely. Next, while MMX on PSX was "2D" is still did have some 3D graphics in it. It's like saying Castlevania SotN is 2D, that may seem so, but it uses 3D capabilities.

This thing GP32, is the first handheld to rival the Nomad Pad. GBA doesn't come close. ;p

Link 101
08-12-2002, 04:27 PM
Actually it is possible to play X5 on GBA. GBA is also 32-bit meaning almost any Playstaion game can be played on it. I also think that thing is rip off of GBA.