PDA

View Full Version : 3 Garter snakes, a painter turtle, and a beta fish...

KamiKaZe cOw
08-11-2002, 06:01 PM
Uhhhh... (I use dat too much) While I was on vacation in milwaukee, I gought a turtle, and three snakes, and I bought a beta. I have some questions about the snakes, and the turtle.
1. what will they eat? I bought 2 dozen crickets for them, but I dunno if the turtle will eat them...
2 how big should the turtle tank be? the turtles about 8 inches long... I r keepin him in a small kid pool. (yes, I let the it sit for two days, too)
the snakes are about this long:
__________________________________________________ __________________
There just babies! and there so damn cute! Hmmmm....that sounded kinda gay...

Hermit
08-11-2002, 06:43 PM
I would ultimately assume your average turtle was a major vegetarian (being too slow to catch anything). I'd say give him some nice vegetables/plantlife/grass/whatever to munch on perhaps. :)

As for the snakes, anything that will fit in their mouths should work. Crickets, flies, grasshoppers, moths, anything that's a bug for now. When they get bigger you can invest in bigger things like mice :evil:

Cambooty
08-11-2002, 06:48 PM
turtles will eat the crap out of some worms..... We had the same problem with a turtle we had so we started throwin crap in there and he only ate the worms. Its quite an amusing sight.......I miss that turtle...

Cronic
08-11-2002, 07:34 PM
Go to a pet store, and ask for advice. Too many reptiles die because people don't know how to take care of them.

teddyboy420
08-11-2002, 07:54 PM
I'm pretty good at caring for reptiles and other animals. I have two 4 1/2' green iguanas, a baby nile monitor, and two cats(I know, cats aren't reptiles).

I've also had garter snakes, and I bought one, and caught one. The own I bought (at a state fair) lived a long time, but it only ate worms (meal,nightcrawlers). The other one ate anything it could get in it's mouth.

The turtle is a vegetarian and will eat letuce, and such.

KamiKaZe cOw
08-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Uhhh... (I really should stop using that) A painted turtle eats lettuce? my friend has a snapper that will tear any thimg apart it gets its ugly face on, and I think he downed a cricket just a little while ago... and, does the turtle need an all water tank, or land to? And the snake seem fine with the crickets, so thats good:D

VEL
08-11-2002, 10:17 PM
My family has had garter snakes and painted turtles. We fed the turtles worms, and minnows. We fed the snakes worms, minnows, and frogs. It is best to give them more than one type of food, I know feeding garter snakes only minnows (and nothing else) can kill them (they don't get all the vitamins they need). The turtle should have some land and some water, we always had the tank filled with water with a couple of bricks for them to sit on.

KamiKaZe cOw
08-11-2002, 10:46 PM
Uhhh... (this is getting to be a problem) there small, like 6 inches. I figured pinhead crickets are good, yes? and will the painter eat veggies too? or just meat?

VEL
08-11-2002, 11:00 PM
You can feed them veggies (I think we fed them lettuce before and they ate it), but you also should feed them meat, we fed them mainly meat. You can also buy turtle food at pet stores.

KamiKaZe cOw
08-11-2002, 11:16 PM
Uhhhh.. what kinda fish?

VEL
08-11-2002, 11:19 PM
Bait stores are good places to get food for turtles and snakes, they sell worms and minnows.

teddyboy420
08-12-2002, 12:50 AM
Variety is good, but sometimes you get animals that don't eat certain things. A painted turtle will eat veggies(dark greens) and meats ( a lil ground beef)

My monitor likes mice, pinkies(baby mice, or baby rats), and feeders(goldfish). Snakes eat the same types of things, MEAT, no veggies.

Isotope
08-13-2002, 02:32 AM
What is 'how many animals the little girl on Full House killed by feeding them brown sugar syrup and forcing them to play Ring Around The Rosie? '