PDA

View Full Version : FTC to Microsoft: "Bad boy. Don't do this again."

AlexMax
08-08-2002, 04:22 PM
From slashdot...

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2002/08/microsoft.htm

Microsoft Settles FTC Charges Alleging False Security and Privacy Promises

Passport Single Sign-In, Passport "Wallet," and Kids Passport Named in Complaint Allegations

Microsoft Corporation has agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges regarding the privacy and security of personal information collected from consumers through its "Passport" web services. As part of the settlement, Microsoft will implement a comprehensive information security program for Passport and similar services.

Once again, your privacy is handled like a piece of shit and all M$ gets is a slap on the wrist.

Now who wants to use Microsoft Passport now? Reguardless of how many times XP wants you to make one. Can I see a show of hands? Anyone?

Verman
08-08-2002, 04:38 PM
I never wanted one in the first place...

Agian more microsoft bashing...

Okay now I am a huge mac fan and I hate microsoft with a passion BUT for god sakes who cares if this passport shit does that...You must think your important if you think microsoft gives a rats ass about you...

This of course is not pointed at you alexmax but to everyone who whines about microsoft watching them.

AlexMax
08-08-2002, 04:45 PM
That is the whole damn problem. Microsoft doesn't givea rats ass about ANYONE but their shareholders.

Thanks for agreeing with me. ^_^

EWild
08-08-2002, 05:42 PM
M$ is shitting themselves into a bigger hole than if an asteriod the size of Texas landed. Jeeze, they will pay, they will pay for their stupidness. ;)

Beldaran
08-08-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by EWild
M$ is shitting themselves into a bigger hole than if an asteriod the size of Texas landed. Jeeze, they will pay, they will pay for their stupidness. ;)

Actually, they will probably make a billion more dollars and remain the premiere software technology company in the United States. So :blah:

vegeta1215
08-08-2002, 05:52 PM
lol, speaking of Microsoft, Penny-Arcade had a funny comic about people who abbrieviate their name with a dollar sign $: http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-07-22

:D

DukenukemX
08-08-2002, 06:10 PM
As of now no one can do anything to Microsoft. No matter how much we complain.

The best thing we can do is warn people about passport. Microsoft knows Joe SixPack will be the perfect sucker.

EWild
08-08-2002, 06:21 PM
Beldran I bet they will somehow pull out of this looking like the good guys and still make a billion dollars.

Cyclone
08-09-2002, 12:02 AM
EWild is right. Their influence on the industry is too strong.

Cyclone

Cloral
08-11-2002, 03:31 AM
You have to consider that IBM used to be very much this way in that they totally disregarded the individuality of its customers. That of course was because it used to hold a monopoly on the PC market. Competition however has forced them to change their ways. So I guess we can only hope that enough competition comes up to force MS to change. But as is readily apparent in other industries such as cars and oil, new competiton is always at a grave disadvantage simply because they do not have the financial stranglehold the established companies have.