PDA

View Full Version : The Journeyman Project

Elemental Knight
08-07-2002, 01:43 PM
"The invention of time travel may eventually save humanity's future by teaching the world of the tragic mistakes of the past."
- Dr. Elliot Sinclair, inventor of the Pegasus Device, August 2315

Who here's played the Journeyman Project trilogy? It was a fun series of games made begun waaay back in '92, about the future's troubles with mad scientists, turncoat agents, and general destructive forces.

The first game, The Journeyman Project, involved the creator of the Pegasus Machine, Dr. Sinclair, going insane and sending robots into the (relative) past to change the timeline. The heroic, stoic, and slightly handsome Gage Blackwood, Agent 5, hopped into the pegasus machine and went after the robots in locales such as Mars and 65,000,000 BCE. Eventually, Dr. Sinclair is captred and Gage is considered a hero.

Sequals being sequals, tough, all was not well. Some time after the events in The Journeyman Project, The Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time chronicled the events of Gage Blackwood, Gage Blackwood, and Arthur. You see, several temporal discrepencies - little things, but bad nonetheless - were blamed on the Gage Blackwood of ten years in the future (relative). He goes back in time to the earlier Gage, tells him of the trouble, and transfers his Jumpsuit - a portable Pegasus machine complete with cloacking Biochip - and goes to jail to allow the earlier Gage to figure out why Gage is being framed. You had to find little clues in locales such as King Richard's castle and Leonardo Da Vinci's compound. It turns out that a renegade agent, Agent 3, had sold out to an alien race and was giving them the blueprints to the Pegasus Machine via changes in certain artifacts that were going to be auctioned off in the future. Gage enlisted the help of Arthur, an abandoned AI in a space station of about eighty years past (relative) to help him figure out the frequent puzzles. Once captured by Agent 3, Arthur turned himself into a virus and infect Agent 3's Jump Suit, blasting both her and it off into who-knows-when. Gage stopped the alien's Pegasus machine and escaped, but the Temporal Security Agency and the Deep Time Unit were pretty much scrapped due to legalities. The earlier Gage's memory was wiped clean of the events, and ten years later he'd start the cycle again, but from the other end of the stick.

The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time followed the events after the later Gage was cleared of all charges. Following the disassembly of all the Jumpsuits, a large chronometric displacement wave forced our heor to hop into the experimental Chameleon Suit, able to mimic a person's appearance and alowing interaction with people of the past, and stop the menace. Due to the fact that I haven't beaten this one, I won'
t go further except to say that you get to see Arthur again, and you get to go to Atlantis, Shangri-La, and El Dorado.

So, anyone know where I can get a copy of the games? My mom lent them all to a friend and I haven't seen them since. ALso, do you remember any favorite easter eggs/anomalies/memories/etc.?

Dart Zaidyer
08-07-2002, 03:12 PM
I have all three Journeyman Project games... I have the original Journeyman Project in it's first release version, which was so full of bugs even by that day's standards they re-released a fixed version called "Journeyman Project TURBO" with Poseidon the Robot on the cover instead of Ares. I never got that one. They also released a PS1 and Mac only version that updated the entire game to have new features and visuals and stuff, entitled "Pegasus Prime". Never got that either.
You'd have one hell of a time trying to get Journeyman Project 1 running on your futuristic new machine, because it's so antiquated. I know I did, and that was years ago. =/ It's sad, too, because the first game is my favorite.

They did release a Trilogy package including up-to-date versions of all three games, but it might be out of print now. You could always try something like EBay.

Fiyerstorm
08-07-2002, 03:25 PM
OMG...I never knew that others knew about that game...I had the first one when I got my first PC in '95 (it came with a free multimedia pack)...I never got far in it...to hard for me..the controls were complicated. It was a cool game though....The music sucked cock though.

Beldaran
08-07-2002, 03:44 PM
Wow! Fellow Journeyman fans! Cool!

Yes, I loved these games when I was younger. I've never played 3, and I would give anything to have them all again, having since lost them. Well, I didn't really lose #2...I got really far and then my stupid friend broke one of the CD's. That retard broke all my favorite toys on accident. He was such a damn slob.:mad:

Warlock
08-07-2002, 08:27 PM
That game was ancient.. my friend had the first one.. it was pretty cool back in the day. I don't remember much except that it was like one of the first CD-Rom games I believe.. I also remember dinosaurs and futuristic stuff :) That's about it :) hehe..

Never played the other two.. well, I don't even think I played the first one much, mostly just watched my friend

Elemental Knight
08-07-2002, 09:05 PM
Hey, guess what? I just found Journeyman 2 & 3 after a little searching. I'll update with thoughts and such as I continue through. Looks like the original is still at my mother's friend's office's comuter, though.

I also found my old EverQuest, Exile, Riven, Drowned God, Timelapse, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, and Lode Runner On-Line CDs. Looks like all they need is a little dusting, too, and they'll run (at least, on my old Win98 Laptop.. Dunno about WinME yet.)

Fiyerstorm
08-07-2002, 09:59 PM
Exile? Holy shit....I used to have 1 and 2....I forgot how the game was but I had them...oh so long ago....

Another Journeyman memory.....he had a gay outfit! :P

Elemental Knight
08-08-2002, 07:51 PM
I'll admit that I didn't like the Chameleon Suit as much as the original Jumpsuit, but what the hey - the Chameleon Suit let him move his arms a bit, right?

Anyhow, I just recorded the evidence in the Sword in the secret basement of Chateu Gaillard. I've already read the secret equations in the Codex Atlanticus and seen the schematics in the Self Awareness sculpture. I'll be heading off to Chichen Itza to traverse the underworld soon, and there-on out we'll see who the culprit is! (Well, I already know who it is, but Gage doesn't. Well, the past Gage. And the future Gage too, I suppose.)

I also have a bit of a gripe: The members of the Temporal Security Annex, like Agent 2, get a neato gun-on-a-hose that traps a person in a forcefield and lets the agent take the prisoner with him. Why can't Deep Time Unit members come with something similar, like a stungun-on-a-hose that comes with a memory-wiper? Don't you think that'd be useful in some situations? I mean, Cloak is nice, but the fact that you can only have one chip active at a time kinda means you have to fumble for the Cloak chip while you're two seconds away from guards armed with swords and cows.

While we're there, some voice recognition for the chips would be nice (Game terms: Keyboard shortcuts), IE "Cloak, activate!" means that the Jumpsuit takes the Cloak chip and turns it on. That might already be in, I don't know - I don't have the instruction booklet.

But I'm sure that I'll make it through with some ill-concieved plan that works for no reason.

Well, it always seemed to work in "Scooby-Doo"...
-Arthur