PDA

View Full Version : Gen-Con 2002

C-Dawg
08-05-2002, 05:30 PM
They could have named it "General gaming Convention", because that's what it is, but people inclined towards video games and magic: the gathering tend to like to come up with their own terminology... and so we have "Gen Con". It's one of the biggest conglomerations of gaming anywhere in the US, and it goes on once a year in Milwuakee, WI. It's going on August 8-11th; that is, later this week.

I bring it up here because I'm playing with the idea of stopping by Thurs-Fri, and I was wondering if there are any ZeldaClassic people who might also be considering it. It might be easier to go with a large group, and if history teaches us anything, it's that Con-goers and online gaming forum members are usually the same sort of creature.

That said, I've got a list of things I'd like to see in someone who was interested in going :

1) Bathes regularly. I can't tell you how horrible it is to pass through the card-playing wing of this convention, and through waves of sickly B.O.

2) At LEAST 18 years old. I dont wanna be in trouble for corrupting a minor.

3) Vaginas are a definite plus.

Anyway, if anyone here was thinking of going, let me know. I'm still working out if I can afford to/want to go myself. If you'd like more info, go here : http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=gencon

-C

inori
08-05-2002, 05:58 PM
A couple of my friends from my regular M:tG playgroup are going, but I'm not. Maybe next year...

Fade to Black
08-05-2002, 06:45 PM
I was in Wisconsin last weekend with my girlfriend for a Renaissance Faire in Bristol. Her friends were planning on going to Gen Con.

Orion
08-05-2002, 08:33 PM
Mmm... I'd go but I have to work every single one of those days. For me, it's only an hour drive. A pity.

SquallLionheart
08-05-2002, 08:44 PM
ooo Wisconsin, a bit of a drive from where I am, I'm not going.

I'm in ohio.

I'm also not a girl, so you wouldn't wanna meet me there anyway

AlphaDawg
08-05-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by C-Dawg

That said, I've got a list of things I'd like to see in someone who was interested in going :

1) Bathes regularly. I can't tell you how horrible it is to pass through the card-playing wing of this convention, and through waves of sickly B.O.Though I agree there is usually some pretty bad B.O. wherever large groups of Magic players are gathered (no pun intended), I don't think it can always be attributed to lack of bathing. (Granted, there are a few high-profile players known as much for their lack of hygiene as their Magic-playing skill, but I digress...) Chalk it up to shitty accomodations pretty much everywhere Magic is played, be it your neighborhood card shop for Friday Night Magic or giant hotel ballrooms for events such as, say, Mid-Atlantic Regionals or Grand Prix: New Jersey. I swear, at both of those events the room temperature had to be well over 80 degrees. Being stuck in a room that hot for 10 or 12 hours with about 600 other Magic players and judges will make pretty much anybody stink.

Oh, I won't be able to make it. Maybe next year.