PDA

View Full Version : Magic: The Gathering Online

King Link
08-04-2002, 11:17 AM
I think the game looks fun enough and I am a fan of card games, but I think the added feature where you have to PAY to buy cards online is stupid.

Why not earn points to buy digital cards? You actually have to pay real money, and in my opinion, it's a steep price and not worth it.

The game's a disappointment, to me. It could have been much better.

Anybody else know anything? What do you think of paying for cards? Why not points? After a few days of playing, you would probably have to pay over $100 for the cards you've bought.

cap2030
08-04-2002, 11:26 AM
the game comes with some basic decks that let you play for free.

They charge for cards to make it more like playing in rl.

The online thing just makes it easier to find someone to play.

I dont know if you can but if you could sell cards you've bought to other players then the card buying thing would be more reasonable.

Saffith
08-04-2002, 11:35 AM
Paying for cards wouldn't be that bad, except they're more expensive than the real cards.
Still, it's not entirely bad. At least there's always someone to play with.

Oh, you can play for free, sort of. Just download the client (Only 309 MB...), and play with the five set decks in the free trial rooms. Better than nothing, I guess.

MottZilla
08-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Hack/Crack could possibly let you have all the cards.

Saffith
08-04-2002, 12:16 PM
Possibly. But the cards might not be stored in the game; might be they don't actually "exist" until your get them.
Or maybe not.

Hm, I just remembered Apprentice. I wonder if that's still around...?

KingArthur
08-04-2002, 04:24 PM
Booster packs of the real cards sgould come with a Card-CD with a booster pack worth of online cards. I'd feel much better about the game if I had a hard copy of my card collection like that.

Grasshopper
08-04-2002, 08:10 PM
You can take your online cards though, and turn them into real cards. If you manage to get a really good card just tell them you want it made into an actual card, and they will mail it to you.

The Savior
08-04-2002, 10:47 PM
So what is stopping a person from getting a bunch of free Black Lotuses by simply aquiring one online?

AlphaDawg
08-04-2002, 11:10 PM
The one thing I like about Magic Online would be the ability to booster draft any time of the day (or night) in front of your computer. I'll pay full retail price to be able to do that. I don't think I'd ever play serious Constructed unless I built up all the necessary cards solely by drafting... highly unlikely.

Originally posted by The Savior
So what is stopping a person from getting a bunch of free Black Lotuses by simply aquiring one online? Just the fact that only sets starting with the Invasion set (released October 2000) are available in the game. Also, you can trade only full sets of online cards for full sets of real cards.

Originally posted by Mottzilla
Hack/Crack could possibly let you have all the cards.Mottzilla, your card inventory is kept exclusively on Wizards' servers (no record is kept locally) and every single card issued in the game has a unique identifier. So extensive hacking of each and every one of Wizards' primary, backup, and redundant servers would probably be necessary to do anything like that. It's not gonna happen.

Mak-X
08-04-2002, 11:34 PM
It's been a long time since I've played Magic: The Gathering. I started when Ice Age was out and stopped around Mirage, or the second stand alone's expansion. Magic Online is interesting, but like everyone else I don't think I want to pay for virtual cards, that and I'm not that into it anymore.

KingArthur
08-05-2002, 02:29 AM
But when you ask for the real card do you keep it in the game? Or is it literally trading?

MottZilla
08-05-2002, 12:06 PM
AlphaDawg, you'd be suprised what you could do to convince the server into doing what you wanted. However it really depends how much in the way of security checks/anti-tamperoring measures are in the server's program.

Ultra22Lemming
08-05-2002, 01:29 PM
I have MTG game for my computer. I do enjoy playing that game, but the only people I know who play it are my two brothers.

Grasshopper
08-05-2002, 09:10 PM
If you don't like the games concept, then you'll definetly hate this game (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2875738,00.html)

Make sure you pick out the 4th paragraph on page 2. Thats where all the wierd stuff starts. :eyebrow:

ShyGuy0824
08-06-2002, 01:23 AM
hmmm...yeah, I tried the demo.

What would be really good would be if they put little barcodes or something and sold a card-'reader' which would put the card in your deck and to stop you from getting a lot of some rare card, it would hold it and punch the barcode or null it or something with ink. It's a possibility.

zables
08-06-2002, 01:54 AM
Ahhh... the good old days of MTG... i used to play that game, it was like bread and butter to me, until i lost my tournament decks when i moved... taht sucked, cuz i had kick arse stratagey decks...
what ever happend to Apprentice? who made it? i cant remember...

C-Dawg
08-06-2002, 02:53 AM
I played Magic back in the day, too. Still looking to sell off my collection (I played from Unlimited through Urza's Legacy), too- if anyone wants to shell out the nearly 1 grand I'm looking for, it can be yours. ;)

Strangely enough, there's been a resurgence in popularity among this most dorky of games amoung my friends. We've all graduated from college and suddenly it's like everyone is regressing back to high school- three independant people in the last two weeks called me up wanting to play some Magic. I dont have a huge problem with that, since I can maintain upwards of ten playing decks at a time, but it's very... odd. If there was ever a game to stop playing due to the socail stigma attatched to it, it'd be magic.

Still, I still have fond memories of my good ol' Weissman control deck. Good times.

-C