PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and your PC don't mix

DukenukemX
08-03-2002, 01:27 PM
Ok well on friday night lighting hit my cable line at my house. Yeah thats right I'm home on friday night. :tongue:

So anyway it hit the cable line and fried my Cable modem. Then it fried the Linksys router. Ohh and then fried the Nic cards in all my PC's. :cry:

The two main PC's have there Nic's fried and the Nic on the laptop is fried. :(

I got the cable modem replaced free from OptOnline and I still had the box for my router so those were replaced for free. :mischief:

The PC's seem to be find so I just went to my local store and got two Nic cards.

Only problem is now my Laptop has a burnt Nic card and it needs to be replaced. Since it's a IBM laptop I know it's going to cost me a arm and a leg to replace that. :meanie:

I have a surge protector hooked up to my PC and all it's stuff. Even the phone line is protected. So far my home network is running fine except the Laptop and didn't cost me too much yet. I also got another surge protector that protects the cable line as well. Lucky for me I use satilite for the TV's in my house.

The leason to be learned from this is cover you ass. I just converted from DSL to Cable modem a few weeks ago and didn't think a surge of power would come thru the line. Now I got to deal with my cable provider to see who's paying for the damage's. :mad:

Remember cover you ass otherwise you could end up like me. :whap:

Menokh
08-03-2002, 01:39 PM
That is a rather rare occurance.

Perhaps I should get a Cable surge protector. I wonder where they sell them.

DukenukemX
08-03-2002, 01:43 PM
I got it at the wiz for 49.99. It protects the cable and anything pluged into it. It was meant for the TV but it works fine with my cable modem and now protects my PC system too.

It has gold plated connectors and comes with a extra wire. :ooh:

I think it even helped my internet connection. Check it out http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests/4555197;945030;0e422a8dc57a1ad98afa91080ed6a507;2. 0;www.dslreports.com/1028396533

Cyclone
08-03-2002, 01:56 PM
Kids, the lesson to be learned is to never play with lightning. :kawaii:

Oh, yeah. Get surge protectors, too. ;)

Cyclone

King Link
08-03-2002, 03:12 PM
That really sucks. I'm always extra careful if I have to be on the computer when there is a lightning storm around. Who knows what could happen.

Drunken Tiger
08-04-2002, 01:13 AM
Lmfao!!

Sorry... Im on dialup and all the cables are underground.... So the chance of my computer blowing up should be very slim... Although my computer did set teh computer table on fire once.. but that waas a once off thing....:p

inori
08-04-2002, 05:25 AM
Shouldn't be a problem for me. I've seen lightning once since moving to California, and that was a year ago. Apparently, we get thunderstorms once every five years or so out here. Sure beats Kansas... between April and June, it sometimes seemed like there was a tornado watch somewhere in the state every night.

KingArthur
08-04-2002, 06:02 AM
No worries... all the cable here in Bremerton is Fiber-optic =)

Cyclone
08-04-2002, 12:29 PM
inori, add Florida to your list, during summers. I vacationed there in 1993 (seems so long ago, doesn't it? :cool: ), and we were in the midst of some kind of thunderstorm nightly. One features some interesting flashes of lightning...I remember one story from that storm, when we were at Epcot and were staying for the fireworks show just before closing. A park worker came to tell my family - which had been sitting IN THE RAIN for a good half hour or hour - that we had to move out of the area because they needed to repair a light. My mother put up a fuss. The official agreed that we'd get our seats back (by this time of night, people try to get the best seating for the shows).

Well, while we were standing watching, a large group of people started to crowd around the area, mostly eyeing that large bench that we had been sitting at. When the work was finished and the area opened again, the official immediately headed for the bench, and waited for us. I was rather surprised at the level of service we got there. Heck, I still am. :cool:

Cyclone

DsS Game
08-05-2002, 12:15 AM
U gotta get a surge protector for those things dude.

same thing happen to my friends modem.