PDA

View Full Version : Dos Games

obi
08-03-2002, 11:24 AM
To make the best of a bad situation I decided to use my PC's empty shell for the ocasional Dos Game, but, I don't know any good ones. Any suggestions?

BTW I'll be playing these off Floppies as I no longer have a hard drive:sweat:

Fiyerstorm
08-03-2002, 11:37 AM
ZZT....it's like really old adventure game with Quest Editor...this was before ZC...I cannot provide links to it but you should Google search it. I'm sure you'll find it.

MottZilla
08-03-2002, 12:26 PM
Without an HD how are you going to have Dos? If your PC can boot from CD rom and you have a boot CD with DOS I guess I could understand. But really, the only DOS games that fit on a floppy I know of are whatever emulators (nesticle and nes roms) and uh, i had Ninja Gaiden and Double Dragon. DD was formatted for PC and Atari o.O

vegeta1215
08-03-2002, 01:34 PM
Maniac Mansion!!! :D

I owned it on floppy (and even 5 1/2 floppy!), but it came with this book for it that told you the password to unlock Dr Fred's security door on top of the stairway. But, a while ago, I found a copy of it online that has that password part taken out. I think you can get it here, on the downloads page: http://members.fortunecity.com/harang/mainpage2.html

obi
08-03-2002, 01:35 PM
My guess to how I still have some form of dos is as good as yours MottZ, but it will read my HDD, XP will attemp to load up but the XP style BSOD will not allow it to load. I have liero which I have been playing but I'll try Nesticle, I have that ( :) )

Thanks! :)

MottZilla
08-03-2002, 05:36 PM
If you HD can still be read from it's possible to recover data still. Likely XP was just currupted somehow or a virus even.

KingArthur
08-04-2002, 04:05 AM
You guys may not believe it... but DOS can be booted from a floppy, yes, its very tiny.

Liero is a fun game... ah yeah. Screw ZZT, Look for MegaZeux, its ZZT on steroids.

obi
08-04-2002, 01:38 PM
I should have figured this out sooner, but yeah, my dos is being loaded from my XP-dos boot disc. My hard drive is readable now but windows won't load up and it's hard to play nesticle with no mouse, Thank God for hot keys!, also, I have been playing Escape From Castle Wolfenstien, quite a nice Doom-based FPS

I just saw Vegeta's post as well, I'll try out manic mansion, it looks good!

SquallLionheart
08-04-2002, 01:53 PM
ouch, I feel sorry for you. I'd have a hard time with only DOS, but I'd try to recover my windows.

Hermit
08-04-2002, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure if it's small enough, but if it is you might want to try 4D Boxing. Even today that's still one of the best boxing games ever made. You might want to spend some time over at: www.the-underdogs.org ;)

You'll find ample oldschool abandonware PC games there :thumbsup:

Actually Wolfenstein 3D, and Wolfenstein: Spear Of Destiny, were the original FPS by which all others after them were created. If you're a FPS fanatic, you probably pray to Wolfenstein 3D each night before bed by candlelight vigil ;)

vegeta1215
08-04-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by obi
I just saw Vegeta's post as well, I'll try out manic mansion, it looks good!

I warn you now, Maniac Mansion is a really fun and addicting game, but it is hard as fuck! It's kinda like Myst and Shadowgate, a puzzle game where you have to use items and go certain places etc...it's also a pretty funny game.

Luckily, that page I linked about has walkthroughs if you get stuck.