PDA

View Full Version : Looped mp3s?!?

GuitarmanTim
08-03-2002, 08:34 AM
Lately, when I try to download mp3s (off KaZaA), they are almost all looped. What I mean is that only a small part of the song is taken, and it is repeated over and over again untill a few minutes are filled and that's the mp3. Useless. Do people make these fake things themselves just to annoy others or something like that?

Drunken Tiger
08-03-2002, 08:49 AM
That used to always happen to me... Thats why i leave P2P as my last resort!! Its a pain in the ass, especially because im on dialup!!

AlphaDawg
08-03-2002, 09:19 AM
Looped MP3's are the RIAA's latest (and most humorous by far) attempt to thwart online file trading. This was mentioned in a news article Cyclone linked to in a topic about a week ago:

Topic: http://boards.armageddongames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60336

News Article: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020720/ap_wo_en_po/us_internet_movie_piracy_1

Quote from article:
Privately, music industry officials already admit to frustrating file traders by putting up bogus files. Individuals trying to download unauthorized tracks from Eminem ( news - web sites)'s latest CD last month, for example, occasionally got files containing only a single verse repeated continuously, rather than a complete song.And like I said in that other topic, it worked... for a little while. Eventually I found a good copy of the song.

The best thing to do is to wait until about 1/4 of the song downloads then start playing it. That should be enough to determine if you are downloading a good copy.

MottZilla
08-03-2002, 12:02 PM
Ussually the user you get it off of, you should checkout if they have any real stuff. If they don't then you should h@xx0r them cause they are some computer a greedy company setup.

Mitsukara
08-03-2002, 12:51 PM
What? Looped over and over.... Gnarly! I must go get these madskillz-made remixes of every song I can from "Richard Simmons Sings the Blues" right now!!!!!

GuitarmanTim
08-03-2002, 01:11 PM
Damn, ow well, guess I'll have to live with it. Lots of people seem to fall for it though because there are almost always alot of people sharing these files.

DukenukemX
08-03-2002, 01:35 PM
I had downloaded a video that was looped too. It was the movie enough and when I got it to play it was looping the preview of the movie enough.

It's the RIAA's way to stop piracy.

A little secret I found about downloading videos off Kazaa is that the 50 megabyte videos will cause your PC to have high CPU load in explorer.exe unless the video is deleted. Even if you restart the PC explorer.exe will have a high CPU load. The only way to delete the video is to open a DOS window and delete it in DOS.

A little over 100 megabyte videos are the ones with replaying videos. The only video's that are worth to get are the ones that are over 200 megabytes in size. They seem to never fail to work. I guess that just takes up to much HD space for the RIAA. :shrug:

Cyclone
08-03-2002, 02:02 PM
Yeah, quite an ingenius method of finding people who want to download your stuff. I have to wonder if this is how they intend to locate and sue you...

Cyclone

Beldaran
08-03-2002, 03:15 PM
lol I just finished downloading the DVD rip of Terminator 2 yesterday it works great.:evil:

GuitarmanTim
08-03-2002, 03:20 PM
lol @ Beldaran's location: In my room surrounded by junk with blinking lights! me 2! :p

:D!!! topic idea !!!:D

Fatty Lumpkin
08-03-2002, 03:23 PM
Oh, I make looped mp3s for fun.

J/K!!!

[off topic]
Jennifer, I like your avatar.
[/off topic]

DukenukemX
08-03-2002, 06:58 PM
I just got Terminator 1 and 2 the other day. With all the bad movies out I had to excape and watch something good. Even if I had seen it a few hundred times.

Videos that are around 600 megs are DVD rip and very good quality. :D

Thunderbird
08-03-2002, 08:46 PM
Someone tell me this: where do you guys get the PATIENCE to download files that big off of other users?

Fatty Lumpkin
08-03-2002, 10:48 PM
Having nothing better to do and having broadband helps. I still have 56k dialup. They don't offer anything else out were I'm at.

gdorf
08-04-2002, 12:02 AM
I usually just get my friends to download the stuff, then I invite them over for a LAN party and get it from them at 2 megs a second. :)

(sofar I have 3 gigs in music, a few movies, the whole hellsing series, and lots of games)

I just got a brand new 100gig hard-drive a few weeks ago, so I am having a great time filling it up. :-D

Cyclone
08-04-2002, 12:58 AM
A 100-gig hard drive and broadband would convert me into the common criminal instantly. ;)

Cyclone