PDA

View Full Version : Language Classes

Icey
08-02-2002, 05:14 PM
Allright, for my high school classes I am taking Spanish as a language. Now, what I want to know is should I take Japanese as well in night classes at the local college. I have many other things that I do after school such as band, clarinet lessons, and bowling.
Do you think it would be a bad idea to take two languages at the same time? Do you think it would be too time consuming? Or do you think it might get confusing? Seeing as how I have never done this, I don't really know, so opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
~Paul

Erasul
08-02-2002, 05:23 PM
Japanese and Spanish are so different, I doubt it would be confusing. I could understand it getting confusing if you were taking two similar languages though. I wouldn't do it with all those after school things you have anyway.

inori
08-02-2002, 05:34 PM
Drop Spanish and take Japanese. :blah:

Actually, I can't really offer advice on this, as I haven't ever taken two languages at once. I took German in high school, but forgot virtually all of it when I started Japanese. (Although I can still read a bit of German... it's so similar to English that it's not so hard to read.)

Language classes, especially college language classes, are highly time-consuming, though... keep this in mind when you make your decision.

King Link
08-02-2002, 05:44 PM
It's basically personal preference. If you want to spend more time working and learning another language in addition to the one you are already learning, you just need to be prepared for more work.

I would only take one. Which one? I can't say, but I don't think I would try to learn more than one language at one time, mostly because I like to learn a full language at one time. This way, I could speak one language then go on to learn another and not try to learn the first at the exact same time.

slothman
08-02-2002, 06:04 PM
I agree with Inori about dropping Spanish and taking Jap. Everyone talks Spanish; it's too common. But few people speak in Japanese. Plus if you learn Japanese you can understand anime and godzilla movies without subtitles or dubbing. :moo:
P.S. the moo smiley is because there or no monster ones and it seemed closest.

Icey
08-02-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by slothman
I agree with Inori about dropping Spanish and taking Jap. Everyone talks Spanish; it's too common. But few people speak in Japanese. Plus if you learn Japanese you can understand anime and godzilla movies without subtitles or dubbing. :moo:
P.S. the moo smiley is because there or no monster ones and it seemed closest.

I would like to do that, but I'm not sure how plausible it would be. I do need to know Spanish though, it will be necessary for me. Whether I like it or not -_-