PDA

View Full Version : Curse orthodontics

Raichu86
08-01-2002, 06:44 PM
Gah, I'm about to go insane from orthodontics. Today I had a hell of an appointment. Every other appointmenet is an extreme appointment (bracket replacement, bands, sawing, etc), and the rest are small appointments (replacement of the wire on the braces, etc). Well, today was an extreme one, the worst I've had since I got my braces.

First off, they took out the things that hold the wire on. Then they added a bracket to my #2 molar (upper right). (They had to take it off last time to get a spacer in.)

After that, they replaced my upper wire, put the things to hold the wires on back in, and guess what happened half way along? They broke one of the brackets. So they took them all off and put a new bracket on. That counts as one of my free broken brackets, even though it wasn't my fault. :odd:

Then after they got the wire holder things on, they added a piece of wire between my last two back teeth on the right. It pokes the back of my mouth. :(

But that's not all! I have some metal on my #3 molar and its opposite. It was to hold an expander. They cut it off a few months ago. Now they went at me with the saw again to cut the remains in to hooks! :eek: Now I'm wearing rubber bands again. :sweat: I love having metal shards sent flying all over my mouth.

I finally got to leave. Now my teeth are hurting again. They're gonna fall out from stress before it's all over. :rolleyes:

Selah
08-01-2002, 06:52 PM
Heh i thought my 1.5 pounds of plastic in my mouth was a pain in the ass. then i read your post and thank god....

Brian
08-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Hell yeah man, I feel your pain. Literally. A rareity at my age, I had to just get braces today, this morning actually. To prepare for this, I had to get four teeth pulled as well as my wisdom teeth through an oral surgon, which bled for three days. Now, like you said, these damn braces make my teeth feel like their going to fall out. My appointment today went smooth enough, but getting spacers on one woulden't go in, so the lady tried to force it, slipped, and the tool hit my gums hard, making them bleed. I can't bite into anything without extream pain, even soft bread.

Just wondering, how long does it take your teeth to stop hurting after you first got them? How long does it take your lips to get used to them?

Raichu86
08-01-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Brian
Just wondering, how long does it take your teeth to stop hurting after you first got them? How long does it take your lips to get used to them?

It was ONE WEEK before I could chew again. :( Did they give you any plastic things to chew on? They're shaped like your row of teeth (a U), and you bite into them and it helps relieve the pain. At first it hurts to bite into them, but if you just stick with it and keep the pressure, it'll make your teeth feel better for a few minutes after you quit biting.

Modifications to the wire only take a few days to recover and be able to chew again.

My lips got used to them after a few days.

Mini-Me
08-01-2002, 08:33 PM
!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?BRACKET REPLACEMENT!?!?!?! I had braces for 2 years, and I never had to have my Brackets replaced!! Do you never brush your teeth, or do you have a crappy orthadontist!?!? I could chew after a couple hours too!! The first week I got them, I couldn't chew for a couple days, but gee!! I think you need a better orthodontist!! :confused: :confuse2:

Raichu86
08-01-2002, 08:42 PM
My orthdontist is best of the best. He planned this stuff out to work perfectly. He charges a bundle too.

And of course I brush my teeth. I keep them so clean he never says anything about plaque on my teeth. :D I have a $100 toothbrush (Sonicare: The Sonic Toothbrush).

Brian
08-01-2002, 10:30 PM
No, they didn't give me that plastic thing. One week? Oh great...
I did get the wax and a "lip protector" to hook to the brackets thats a clear plastic thing.

My orthodontist is very popular in the area, almost everyone goes (or went) to him. He kind of famous as he sponsers many things, and his last name is Star, so everyone heard of "Dr. Star". His office is really high tech, with Gameboy Advances at every chair, and many TVs and video game consoles to play while you're waiting.

Raichu86
08-01-2002, 10:57 PM
I did get the wax and a "lip protector" to hook to the brackets thats a clear plastic thing.
They gave me that too. Take one of the little sticks and rub it on the braces where it hurts.

My orthodontist is very popular in the area, almost everyone goes (or went) to him. He kind of famous as he sponsers many things, and his last name is Star, so everyone heard of "Dr. Star". His office is really high tech, with Gameboy Advances at every chair, and many TVs and video game consoles to play while you're waiting.
Mine is almost like that. There's no TVs, but you can go and grab a GameBoy (Regular/Color/Advance) or a NeoGeo Pocket Color and play while you wait. :D One time I pulled out my own GameBoy Advance and started playing Golden Sun. They were impressed. :laughing:

MottZilla
08-02-2002, 12:04 AM
Haha. How old are you? I remember all the orthodontic crap. Wasn't that bad I guess. My teeth still aren't like perfectly straight though. Ofcourse I didn't wear my retainer enough but it didn't matter because they had these temporary ones for me and they sucked ass as they didn't retain anything and by the time I had the "permanent" one it was too late really. Stupid people. :p

Mini-Me
08-02-2002, 01:27 AM

hmm.. my orthodontist wasn't exactly the boss of the litter, but he was pretty good, he didn't charge me a bundle, (I think all orthodontists have to plan it out perfectly), and That place had GBCs (weren't GBAs yet) at every chair (a lot of chairs), and 4 N64s... all w/ diff. games... every time you visited, all w/ 2 controlers.. :kawaii:

vegeta1215
08-02-2002, 02:15 AM
I been there before. When they put on and pull off the brackets or tighten anything, it always hurts really bad. I dont' wanna get into detail, but to sum things up, I had:

-6 teeth pulled
-a retainer
-braces
-braces w/ headgear
-braces w/ rubber bands to correct my bite
-braces w/ rubber bands and a bite plate (sort of like part of a retainer that's attached behind your front teeth)

After I got my braces off, I wore my retainer for a year, then another year just at night. Oh yeah, and I had 4 wisdom teeth out recently.

Raichu86
08-02-2002, 09:39 PM
Mottzilla: I'll be turning 16 this month.

vegeta: I find it amazing how long it takes to retain things. :eyebrow: I think I'm only supposed to have to wear my retainer for months when I get it, yet I hear lots of people saying they've had the retainer for years.

Drunken Tiger
08-02-2002, 09:45 PM
I dont need braces...:D

Thank god for that...

Trusso
08-02-2002, 11:26 PM
Bah, I had my braces since 2nd grade untill 7th, with headgear for awhile, and I could chew about 1/2 hr afterwords. Also I have to wear my retainer for the rest of my life, but thats ok it doesnt bother me.

vegeta1215
08-03-2002, 12:39 AM
I had all my orthodontics done from 7th grade till 11th grade, when I finally got my braces off. After that, I wore my retainer for a while. I still wear it ever couple nights to keep my top row of teeth aligned good, but it doesn't bother me as much now, I've been through worse.

MottZilla
08-03-2002, 02:42 AM
My orthodontic work started sometime in 5th grade. Was over by 9th I guess.