PDA

View Full Version : INORI, VEGETA AND OTHERS majoring in....

Beldaran
08-01-2002, 05:54 PM
For those of you that are majoring in either Computer Science, Mathematics, or Engineering of some other kind, approximately how much free time do you have to yourself each day? (on weekdays) and how much do you have on weekends?

I'm very curious...

vegeta1215
08-01-2002, 05:57 PM
I have loads of free time, but that's only cause I work way ahead of time on my projects in computer science. Plus I'm damn good ;) It all depends on how fast you pick things up and what your work ethics are.

It also helps if you have good teachers. Mine have been excellent.

Beldaran
08-01-2002, 06:00 PM
Thanks Vegeta. That's encouraging.

I ask because I'm entering University next year and even though I consider myself a musicain, I can't stand all those fluffy butt wiping classes like "social studies" and "poetry writing". I want to take cool classes and get a kick ass major like math or CS. And I was just concerned that I would spend 23 hours a day doing homework.

In the past, I've completed tough math classes with ease but I've only had one a time. I have a good work schedule and feel I could handle the load.

vegeta1215
08-01-2002, 06:03 PM
If your good at math and like computers, comp sci is the way to go. However, alot of people easily get discouraged early on because it's a little tough at first.

We have a course called COSC 220: Data Structures, and I call it the make-or-break class. Alot of people take it, but it separates those who can really handle the work and those who wimp out.

Beldaran
08-01-2002, 06:06 PM
Can I ask what you have to do in this data structures class?

The Silent Assassin
08-01-2002, 08:17 PM
My two roommates are engineering majors...Aerospace Engineering and Bio-Engineering. They have a SHIT LOAD OF HW compared to me...but they always have free time...they always can go out on weekends, and usually can do stuff on weekdays for awhile.

Then again...they're first year guys...going into their second year. It supposedly gets more intense as you go along for engineers.

Me, I'm lucky. All my hw is reading and writing...no technical shit.

gdorf
08-01-2002, 08:40 PM
"Technical Shit" Is the best stuff!

I can't really talk because I am only a sophmore in HS, but I still have definate plans to go into computer science. Already, in only my second year of high-school I am tailoring my schedule to be tech-related as much as possible. I am the only Sophmore in AP computer science, and I am hoping to take a database class.

Zeo
08-01-2002, 08:42 PM
I'm usaully fine on time (except exams), but I haven't really done much past Gen Eds yet.

vegeta1215
08-01-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Beldaran
Can I ask what you have to do in this data structures class?

Well, we studied C++, and in Data Structures we got into classes and implementing different data structures in class form. These include stacks, queues, trees, and binary search trees.

We also learned about pointers and recursion, and looked at computational complexity of algorithms (Big-Oh notation)

Mak-X
08-01-2002, 10:06 PM
Argh, I won't be able to start any Computer Science classes until Spring. I sorta remember the stuff I learned in High School though. Which reminds me that I should probably start signing up for classes now...

Cloral
08-02-2002, 03:27 AM
I managed to schedule myself so that I only have to take 3 classes per quarter, so I have lots of free time. Plus I tend to be pretty good and figuring things out quickly, so I can usually finish projects and such faster than usual. But I would say the average CS major doesn't have a whole load of free time, if only because most of them have a hard time learning how to program and haven't learned yet how to thing about problems.

Beldaran
08-02-2002, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Cloral
I managed to schedule myself so that I only have to take 3 classes per quarter, so I have lots of free time. Plus I tend to be pretty good and figuring things out quickly, so I can usually finish projects and such faster than usual. But I would say the average CS major doesn't have a whole load of free time, if only because most of them have a hard time learning how to program and haven't learned yet how to thing about problems.

This is an important point, given that the true challenge in learning math and programming lies not so much in memorizing techniques and formulas, but in training the mind to be an effective tool, able to disect, analyze, and reconstruct problems in ways that yeild logical solutions. This is what grants one the power to overcome difficult problems, as opposed to just a wide base of knowledge.

Newton invented calculus over the summer one year. He was able to do this not because he had already memorized algebra, but because he understood the underlying principles and logic flow of mathematics, and was thus able to draw his own conclusions about how to solve problems that had as yet been thought unsolvable.

I too will only have 3 classes per quarter, so I'm confident that I will be able to schedule my time effectively.

inori
08-02-2002, 05:58 AM
I had good amounts of free time as an undergrad, but I was going to Kansas State, and classes were not a huge challenge. Here at Berkeley, I really feel sorry for CS undergrads, because they get worked into the ground. It's not so bad for grad students, who typically take - at most - two serious classes. For me, though, I'm busy teaching during the semester, which eats a lot of time.

It really depends on the school. Regardless of your major, it's a good idea to talk to undergrads at the school(s) you're considering and ask them questions like this.

Mini-Me
08-02-2002, 12:55 PM
I agree w/ gdorf!! "Technical Stuff" rules!!! ... It's not like I have a life now, or are going to get one,.. I spend all my time either on this computer, on AGN and EGN, or downloading stuff, or on my other computer playing games, making my quest (OZ)... Either that or eating... Let's see... wake up at 9 (give or take), go to sleep at 1 (same)... can't think of much else I do inbetween, unless it involves hygene... I do take showers monthly.. (j/k!!!!!!)...