PDA

View Full Version : Pending release of DoY

C-Dawg
07-31-2002, 12:33 PM
As many of you are aware (Thanks to a marathon of a thread that ended up with about 500 replies- see it here http://boards.armageddongames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55560) the quest I worked on last semester, Dreams of Yesterday, is basically done. I've been bugtesting for the last three months, and pretty much all of the main bugs are ironed out. Problem is, I'm sure plenty more remain- this is the largest and most complicated ZC quest ever put together, to my knowledge, and killing all the bugs would take true dedication... which, thanks to WarCraft3, and the fact that I'm busy spending time with all the people I'll leave forever in a few weeks, I dont have.

In addition, I was going to add an alterate ending and the Triforce of Courage (Acts as boots; sort of a cheat secret item) to the quest. Probably wont ever happen.

But the biggest flaw with the quest right now is that it's still written for 152- not 165 or whatever the most recent version of the editor is. So I give the community a choice. I have time to work on possibly one of these areas- correcting bugs, or updating to 165- and then I'll release it publically. The advantage of updating to the newer version of ZC is it gives me something to do in the beta forums (Where yes, I have been very silent). The advantage of me fixing bugs (assigning more varied Dmaps so maps work correctly, splitting up caves into multiple dmaps so you dont continue at a point too far back.. etc) is a more bug-free game. Though it is perfectly completeable now.

So, folks, what do you all want?

-C

jman2050
07-31-2002, 12:42 PM
If you really feel you need to, make the neccesary fixes. If the quest is tolerable to play, give it to us now, and then get us an optional bug fix.

C-Dawg
07-31-2002, 12:44 PM
A fine idea, but the patched version might not arrive until Christmas break. (I doubt law school will leave me enough time to work on this quest in earnest) I'm assuming you're giving me a vote for updating to the newest version of Zquest, then.

Oh, and beta testers, if you want to post reviews or comments about the quest and it's bugs here, feel free. Give people an idea of why I think it's worth it for me to release it in SOME version. ;)

-C

jman2050
07-31-2002, 12:52 PM
As I said, I'll leave it to you. Although I would REALLY like to see what garnered all those 500 replies ;) .

All my current quests are getting boring :( .

DarkDragoonX
07-31-2002, 01:02 PM
Fix the bugs. It doesn't matter whether or not it's made in the newest version, that's just an aesthetic thing. But DoY is the best quest I've ever played, and I'd like to see more of the bugs ironed out before the release.

zfreak2004
07-31-2002, 01:07 PM
YES PLEASE!! DO IT NOW!!! *Drools thinking about screens shown*

C-Dawg
07-31-2002, 01:19 PM
Being in the new version is more than an aesthetic thing; it's a service to the player. The quest will not work correctly under the newer versions. Most people have the latest version of Zquest and re-installing an older version invites problems. I dont even know where you can download the old version anymore, and I dont have the installer.

But I tend to agree with your point- improve the product first. That just leaves more work up to the players.

-C

Nick
07-31-2002, 02:14 PM
*sigh*

This was the best quest I've ever played... except the final levels jumped greatly in difficulty.

The quest is mostly for expert players IMO since it is so hard. ZeldaFan is the only one that really finished it thus far.

Anyway, a release with 152 wouldn't hurt much. I think there is a thread somewhere with the 152 player download.

I wouldn't be able to play the quest again since I have other quests to test and a quest to work on, but I'm sure others will enjoy it... if they have any hair left at the end.

Menokh
07-31-2002, 04:43 PM
The only thing about releasing this quest for 152 is that most oeople don't have it and 152 is not totally copatible with 163.

One major difference is the way they handle transparencies. Transparent things in 152 will not be transparent in 163,

But as Nick said there is a 152 player download thread buried in ZC Discusion. So people could use that. So my vote is fix the bugs and release it for beta 152. And when and if you get around to it, update to 163(or whatever version is out at that time). Just be sure to mention it needs 152 to play properly.

Dark_Xero
07-31-2002, 06:55 PM
Well i was going to say make it compatable with 163 but now i know i can play it without it frigging up on me, I think u hould fix some bugs

Praethus
07-31-2002, 07:16 PM
I say you fix the bugs that exist now, and update to 163 later. It works fine in 152, and fixing the bugs will provide a more pleasurable experience for the players. I currently have 152 and 163 players on my HD and I still have my DoY save state (I am determined to finish this game).

C-Dawg
07-31-2002, 07:33 PM
Alright, bug fixing it is. I'm going to play through once myself to see what bugs need correcting, but right off the top of my head, here are the big jobs:

- Seperate all floors of all levels into different Level Numbers so maps work as intended

- Seperate all caves in Overland Hyrule that share a Dmap into different Dmaps so Link doesnt continue in the same spot on all of them. (Within limitations of my Dmap limit)

- Fix graphics of the water's edge in Overland Hyrule.

Anyone else remember something that was an issue?

-C

Cyclone
08-01-2002, 12:52 AM
Bugs are more important. I wouldn't want to find myself stuck because of a bug that suddenly cropped up.

At that time, spend at least one day of your weekends updating to 165. Or whatever that beta was. :D

Cyclone

Nick
08-01-2002, 10:43 AM
163. Using 165 (if it even exsists) would make noone be able to play it except beta testers. We don't want that. :sweat:

Kairyu
08-01-2002, 12:19 PM
I'd have preferred an update to the newer versions, since this quest will probably never be really bug-free.... but, I don't mind. I do have version 152 anyway.

ZeldaFan001
08-01-2002, 07:08 PM
I knew it. I was expecting you to come back when August 1 rolled around. (You said that was when you would have a good bug-free version for the public.) Good to see you again. :)

My HD has 152 and 163 as well. There aren't many bugs left in the current version and hopefully will become completely bug-free in the end. I too have loved this quest and it is possible to beat it if you give it enough time. (Who'd have thought a game created with a Z1 engine could be hard like this?) I agree with everybody. Create a bug-free version of 152 as best as you can for public release. When people start reporting bugs, you can fix them and eventually get a newer beta 163 or later release.

I have a question. I have a web site coming up soon and I would like to host your quest on my page. You can support screenies, the quest, and any info of the quest that you would like to give out and I can make the page for you. How does that sound? (The current link is in my sig. I should have the main page up soon and when I do, I can add your quest at the bottom.)

C-Dawg
08-02-2002, 02:27 AM
Sure, you can host the quest. I can even clean up some concept art for ya, provide item/enemy descriptions, and screenies if you wanna get really fancy. Just wait till I've got the next release to host it.

-C

Cyclone
08-02-2002, 10:54 AM
Oops. Nick's right, it's beta 163. I somehow thought 165 didn't sound right. :p

Cyclone

EWild
08-02-2002, 11:55 AM
Bug fixes, 152 then 162. ;) I can't wait to play it, even though I could now it would ruin the wait.