PDA

View Full Version : DOS attack on RIAA

DukenukemX
07-30-2002, 12:12 PM
The RIAA web site RIAA.org was hit with a massive DOS attack during the weekend.

Do you feel the irony in this? :laughing:
I mean the RIAA wants to pass a bill that gives copyright holders the right to hack your PC. Now who's doing the hacking around here. :mischief:

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-947072.html?tag=fd_top

One of the assholes had this to say.

"Don't they have something better to do during the summer than hack our site?" asked the RIAA representative, who asked not to be identified. "Perhaps it at least took 10 minutes away from stealing music."

For anyone that doesn't know a DOS attack is a Denial-of-service attack.

I just had to share this information with everyone. :D

Gerudo
07-30-2002, 01:12 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

just think, if this thing goes thru about making hacking people's comps legal, then there would be so many loopholes, it'd be hilarious! a website like RIAA could be hacked over and over, and they couldnt do anything about it...

AlexMax
07-30-2002, 01:33 PM
They really need a fucking clue.

The RIAA deserves every fucking DOS attack it gets...

DukenukemX
07-30-2002, 02:52 PM
Gerudo the RIAA wants to make it legal for copyright holders to hack. It's still illegal for the public to hack.

If you go on Kazaa and some company like Sony records finds out you have a copy of a song on your PC they will hack you.

You would still not be allowed to hack.

Menokh
07-30-2002, 04:04 PM
Someone decided to give the RIAA a taste of what DoS attacks would be like.
Now the RIAA knows what it would feel like to get one. But the RIAA is mainly made up of money hungry greedy bastards and they won't realize that this will happen to other people if the hacking bill goes through. Or rather thay weill realize it, but somehow think that music downloaders(even if they are downloading it legally, there is no distinction with them) deserve that.

Congress considers anyone who hacks into a PC that they don't normally have access to to be a terrorist. Congress is considering letting the RIAA and MPAA and related companies hack into computers they don't normally have access to. Congress would be allowing a form of terrorism in order to protect copyright laws. Keep in mind that there is no way these companies can find out if you have illegally downloaded stuff unless they hack, so they will hack(under this bill) if they suspect that you have illegally downloaded stuff. Now if Congress allows one group of hackers to hack, whats to prevent this from blowing up in thier faces?

MottZilla
07-30-2002, 05:33 PM
Well I'm happy. They will soon realize they cannot control the internet and they shouldn't be trying to "hack" anyone. And like I said, firewall. :p

DemoQuestFan
07-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Remember though people...Congress always wins...The citizens always lose. Our right to vote is telling people to tell us what to do. The RIAA will win at all costs. They cannot be prosecuted for hacking/terrorism cause they will have the appropriate law enforcment at their side ready to arrrest anyone who protests, even fellow government officials.

Cyclone
07-31-2002, 01:39 AM
This has to be the best bit of news I have heard all day. :D

Cyclone

Cloral
07-31-2002, 03:03 AM
It's nice, but is there really any use to it? I mean, how many people actually visit the RIAA site anyway? I doubt there is anything worth seeing there.
It's symbolic sygnificance however is much greater. Just to clarify though - this wasn't actually a hack, but a purposeful over-flood of traffic.

Artevoi
07-31-2002, 08:46 AM
What exactally are the RIAA hackers going to do about dialup modems? If a dialup user has a way of noticing that someone is hacking their computer, can't they disconnect? I have one but not any way of seeing if anyone is hacking my comp.
Not like I have anything to hide from RIAA. The only MP3s I download are either not copyrighted or from a videogame that I would buy a soundtrack CD for anyway.

MottZilla
07-31-2002, 04:42 PM
The people that would "hack" will have to notify you and the DoJ first. Thus it's pointless. So long as you have a dynamic IP they won't find you twice. Also, just run a firewall.

And finally I doubt they'd target individual users. I think they'd try to target "hubs" or servers of "port to port" sharing programs. Or something like that.

Menokh
07-31-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Mottzilla

And finally I doubt they'd target individual users. I think they'd try to target "hubs" or servers of "port to port" sharing programs. Or something like that.

You sure?
They've already started suing individual users of file sharing networks. Most of the time they can't prove that any illegal activity was done, but sometimes they can.

Mystery-Q
07-31-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by DukenukemX
Gerudo the RIAA wants to make it legal for copyright holders to hack. It's still illegal for the public to hack.

If you go on Kazaa and some company like Sony records finds out you have a copy of a song on your PC they will hack you.

You would still not be allowed to hack.

Anyone can copyright any music, litature, web site, etc.

Get your self a copy of MTV Music Generator or Cubase, write a small song and then copyright it. Now you as a copyright holder can now leagly hack (to see if your song is going around).

HEHE Just a future loophole I see happning.

This post Copyrighted 2002 By Mystery-Q lol