PDA

View Full Version : A mozilla post and question

Beldaran
07-29-2002, 08:34 PM
Well, this is my first post using Mozilla. I have to say, it is WAY faster than IE, and I like the unobtrusive and streamlined feel it has.

However, I have a question. I was wondering if there is any way to get Mozilla to recognize the 4th and 5th buttons of my mouse as forward and back commends when surfing web pages. I use them all the time in IE, ano not only does it work great, but it's convenient as hell. Anyone know if you can do this in Mozilla?

vegeta1215
07-29-2002, 09:02 PM
I too am enjoying Mozilla very much on my bro's computer :) I really like how it renders pages, and almost every plugin that Netscape supports is supprted by Mozilla (Flash and Java Runtime Enviro highly recomended)

Hmmm, a 4 and 5 button mouse? I don't really know about that. But, Mozilla has mouse gestures I think (stolen from Opera :p), and thers' a section in the Advanced part of the Preferences for Mouse Wheel stuff. You might wanna look there. Or check out http://www.mozdev.org/ for info

Masamune
07-29-2002, 09:03 PM
sorry belderan. :( i only have 3 buttons. what are the other 2 buttons used for?

Beldaran
07-29-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Masamune
sorry belderan. :( i only have 3 buttons. what are the other 2 buttons used for?

kicking the shit out of people at Counter Strike.:)

EDIT: OOOh, I just noticed that Mozilla automatically imported my bookmards from IE. Nice, very nice.

Menokh
07-29-2002, 10:53 PM
Welcome to Mozilla. Enjoy your stay.

Yes I like Mozilla too, I also use Opera. Although I consider Mozilla to be the most viable alternative to IE(it even comes with a web page builder that outputs very clean HTML). Anyhow, I have no idea about those extra buttons, there is prolly a way though.

And yes besides the speed increase that you already noticed, Mozilla is spyware free and you can fiddle with the source code if you wanted to.

King Link
07-29-2002, 11:38 PM
I've heard a lot about Mozilla, and I've always thought about it as being a really good, decent browser. Is it free or is there a freeware version somewhere?

Menokh
07-29-2002, 11:44 PM
Mozilla is free. And it is Open Source.
www.mozilla.org is the main site.
Here is the download link for Windows:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.0/mozilla-win32-1.0-installer.exe

It uses Netscape compatible plugins, and you should install Java and Flash and quicktime as son as you get it.

King Link
07-29-2002, 11:47 PM
Thanks Menokh, I just thought I'd try this out, sounds very impressive. Thanks for the link too.:)

AtmaWeapon
07-29-2002, 11:50 PM
Beldaran, I'm assuming you are using Windows, although your use of Mozilla leaves the possiblity you are using Linux. In Windows, you could use the Intellimouse software to make Mozilla recognize the buttons. Go to Start>Control Panel>Mouse, and click the "Enable program-specific settings" button. In the Settings dialog box, you can add Mozilla. Then, figure out what the keyboard shortcuts for "Back" and "Forward" are in Mozilla and assign them to your fourth and fifth buttons.

I was evil in Quake III when I used those buttons to strafe. Ü

Beldaran
07-29-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by AtmaWeapon
Beldaran, I'm assuming you are using Windows, although your use of Mozilla leaves the possiblity you are using Linux. In Windows, you could use the Intellimouse software to make Mozilla recognize the buttons. Go to Start>Control Panel>Mouse, and click the "Enable program-specific settings" button. In the Settings dialog box, you can add Mozilla. Then, figure out what the keyboard shortcuts for "Back" and "Forward" are in Mozilla and assign them to your fourth and fifth buttons.

I was evil in Quake III when I used those buttons to strafe. Ü

Thanks Atma:thumbsup:

vegeta1215
07-30-2002, 01:29 AM
I still like Opera better than Mozilla because of it's speed, minimal requirements, and use of few system resources (and that enable/disble/cached image button: that is essential for dial-up forum browsing :D). Mozilla's my 2nd pick, but my computer is too slow to run it effectly.

Be sure to turn on tabbed browsing. It's neat, and very similar to Opera's "keep windows inside Opera" option.

GuitarmanTim
07-30-2002, 06:08 AM
hmm, sounds good, I might check it out when I get my new comp in a few weeks. IE crashes on me too much and is not really that fast, although that could just be my comp speed.