PDA

View Full Version : Help! need links

goKi
07-28-2002, 07:56 PM
i cant find anything on the internet about the safe storage of hydrocarbons, ive tried searching everywhere, but i cant find a site with any information that can help me out, do you guys know of any?

Beldaran
07-28-2002, 08:15 PM
"hydrocarbons" is pretty vague. I mean, your car's gas tank is full of hydrocarbons. Your bottle of Jack Daniels is a hydrocarbon. What are you refering to specifically?

slothman
07-28-2002, 10:15 PM
Like Beldaran said hydrocarbon is vague but if you mean gasoline and oil then the only thing I can think of is something like a gascan.

goKi
07-29-2002, 01:57 AM
well to be more specific, the safe storage of the hydrocarbons C1-C8 (methane etc). was in a hurry last time i posted.

inori
07-29-2002, 03:18 AM
Hmmm... to safely store:

Methane (CH4): Leave it inside the cow.
Ethane (C2H6): Convert to ethanol, store in a beer can.
Propane (C3H8): Put in the backyard barbecue grill.
Butane (C4H10): Put in your cigarette lighter.
Octane (C8H18): Put in your car's fuel tank.

Anyway, back to the subject... I take it this is some kind of school assignment?

GuitarmanTim
07-29-2002, 06:12 AM
I don't know that much of chemistry but I do know that (most) hydrocarbons are (highly) flamable so I would suggest storing them in a solid, non-flamable tank or something.

goKi
07-29-2002, 08:48 AM
i have to talk for part of 9 minutes, on the storage of those hydrocarbons, along with some sort of presentation i will do with powerpoint, i cant find enough info though.

slothman
07-29-2002, 03:21 PM
Well some of those like methane and ethane are actually gasses. You would have to liquify them first which is dangerous in itself. The higher ones like C9 and C10 and already liquids but are still flammable. I can only think of using a metal container to hold them. That's probably what factories do.