PDA

View Full Version : Emulators for Linux?

gdorf
07-28-2002, 02:29 AM
I don't know if this is a bad thing to post or not, I apologize in advance if it is. I know I am not directly asking for roms, so I think it's okay. Does anyone know of a good Snes/Nes emulator that works in linux? I just got my new video card working and I'm eager to play some games :)

Cloral
07-28-2002, 02:43 AM
ZSNES is ported for Linux. Just go to www.zophar.net to grab it - that site has pretty much all the emulators out there.

And yes, under my understanding, as long as you don't talk about the roms directly, you are fine. Please note that www.zophar.net does not have roms except for public domain ones.

Menokh
07-28-2002, 07:40 AM
ZSNES (www.zsnes.com) is the best SNES emulator for Linux.
But you'll need to sort out some dependency problems in order to get it to work. I'm pretty sure the README the comes with the file will help. On the ZSNES site you can download a source tarball and compile it yourself. If you want an RPM then go here (http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/cooker/contrib/RPMS/zsnes-1.36-1mdk.i586.html). It's a Mandrake RPM, but it should install on any distro with RPM installed.

As for NES emulators, that is a good question. I have no idea.

gdorf
07-28-2002, 12:45 PM
Sweet, I've used Zsnes in windows too :). Thanks!

vegeta1215
07-28-2002, 06:08 PM
I love ZSNES :D It's Linux port is almost identical to the DOS/Windows one. Plus Mandrake has an rpm for the latest ZSNES in the Mandrake Cooker contrib section (easier to install than making it yourself)

I'm still unsure about a good NES emulator for Linux. I've heard on TuxNES, which looks pretty good. There's another called UltraFCE or something that's on DOS/WIN and Linux, and seems to have been updated more recently than TuxNES.

If someone finds and good NES emulator for Linux, let me know!

Cloral
07-28-2002, 11:38 PM
I have FCEUltra under Windows and it works pretty well. Haven't tried it under Linux though.

MottZilla
07-29-2002, 06:19 PM
You can talk about roms all you want. No distributing/linking to them however.

gdorf
07-30-2002, 03:05 PM
Eh.. I seemed to have screwed up Zsnes in linux. I changed some of the video settings and now it is pure black every time I run it.

tuxNES didn't compile for me. *shrugs*

MottZilla
07-30-2002, 04:48 PM
Edit the config file gdoft. You should be able to set a different video mode. If not the "command line" if linux has it for programs, you should have a switch -modex or -modeq you should try.

gdorf
07-30-2002, 07:38 PM
I changed the video settings in Zsnes.. not X.

vegeta1215
07-30-2002, 08:07 PM
What Mott is saying is that instead of just typing 'zsnes' in the command line to run it, run it with some option. I think if you type 'zsnes --help' it'll give you a list of the different options. It's worth a try, you might be able to get those settings back to normal.

Or...I think if you delete your config file (maybe in your home directory somewhere), zsnes will start with it's default options and create a new config file for you (since you got rid of the last one)

MottZilla
07-31-2002, 01:38 AM
What's "X"? And yes, vegeta said it.

Menokh
07-31-2002, 01:44 AM
X stands for X Windowing System or XWindows or X11, all are names for the same thing.

It is what Linux and most Unixes use to run graphical interfaces. There are two versions of it, Xfree86 is the most popular and common version, and I don't know what the other one is called.