PDA

View Full Version : This may interest some... thoughts welcome :o)

Hermit
07-27-2002, 05:29 AM
For a little while now I have been pondering whether or not to get involved with the whole world of video game remixes (mainly OC Remix). I generally prefer to stick to writing/composing my own pieces, eventhough I know I rarely make them public (I wouldn't have anywhere to really put them anyway... we're talking about 20 CD-Rs packed to the rim with my midis). I am a frequent visitor to the site and have had a few conversations with mr. pretzel over the past few months regarding my thoughts. I think it's time I broadened my horizons a bit ;)

So what I would like, are suggestions from you all if you care to share any :)

Any particular songs, ideas, styles, games, or whatever. As it is, there are a gizillion things I'd like to do and haven't a clue where to start.

Thanks ;)

Jemsee
07-27-2002, 09:35 AM
So if I follow you, you want to make a CD of midi music from vidgames?
Well how about starting with a theme?
I'd like to see a CD of RPG songs, maybe in an order that is pleasing to the ear...maybe you would know more about a good order for songs?
Anyway, there are songs from FF, Drakan, Lunnar, Maro RPG, Zelda, Baldur's Gate, Tomb Rader, Breath of Fire, Legend of Dragoon just to name a few that I like the music to.
I'm shure there are tons of others.
So my suggestion is to do themes, RPGs, love songs from games, a scary parts CD or suspence type stuff, Hero music or victory type, ...
Hope this helps, all I know is if CD like these were around I'd listen to them. I'v tryed to make a few tapes in the past of Vidgame tunes but wore them out listening to them, were not real good quality anyway.

Gerudo
07-27-2002, 09:40 AM
i say go for it... it will show the talent you posess(sp?), and someday, who knows? maybe it could pay off in the future...

:shrug:

MottZilla
07-27-2002, 05:09 PM
Hm, you should remix some ninja gaiden music. :p There is a serious lackage of NG music remixes.

Beldaran
07-27-2002, 05:12 PM
I think you should do a compilation of remixes from famous side scrollers. That way, you could have bitchin versions of Mario, Link2, Ninja Gauden, Metroid, Contra, etc...the list goes on.

Hermit
07-27-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Jemsee
So if I follow you, you want to make a CD of midi music from vidgames?

I'd more than likely be using multiple formats (midi compositions for composing, mod trackers for sound sampling and whatnot, wav editors for final editing and last touches). The end results would be mp3s, not midis. I'm not particularly set to make full blown CD's just yet. Remixing existing music isn't really a strong suit for me, just something new to try and get better at for now.

My strong suit is orchestration, such as RPG type music you mentioned already. I've done mass amounts of that ;)

A lot of remixes are techno/electronic type stuff. That should be a welcomed challenge for me if I were to delve into that genre.

And by the way, I like the Ninja Gaiden idea Mottz ;) Although it would be easy for me to delve into RPGs, I think starting out with unpopular stuff would be best :)

I would also be submitting them here at AGN before I submit them to OC Remix. Would be best to get feedback beforehand. So you'll see uploads in the future to listen to :)

Mak-X
07-27-2002, 07:42 PM
Ending theme of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Starting from when you wake the Windfish and the Ballad of the Windfish plays to the ending credits. Last time I looked on VGmusic no one has ever done the ending.

Hermit
07-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Yes, you mention the ending theme to LA before when I was messing around with Marin. I have yet to find any music file for it though. Think you could supply me with one to work with ?

The only place I know for sure that probably has a copy of the gameboy Zelda music is ZeldaPower.com. But, since their servers never work, their pages never load and I can never get access to them :o|

I have the game, but am not particularly interested in playing through it again just to hear the ending. I'd like to do the Windfish though, I love that tune ;)

EDIT: Nevermind, I just paid a visit to Zophar and grabbed a player and GBS of LA. Yummy! :)

Mak-X
07-27-2002, 08:55 PM
I downloaded the music rip of Link's Awakening from Zohpar.net
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/gbs.html
and got the plugin for Winamp, but I can't remember which Ballad of the Windfish theme is the one for the ending!

HAHAHA! I just read your edit Hermit. It took me a few minutes to find

Aha! I found it!
63/69 I think...argh...yes this must be it. err, TSA might know.

It took me a few minutes to find how to select tracks, used the Num arrow keys.

HERE IT IS
61/96 is the credits ending theme! That's the one!

I love that scene and the music in the background. Great ending.

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/mak/music/zelda4end.wma
(save target as)

Hermit
07-29-2002, 03:53 AM
Well, as promised, I will keep frequent posts of progress from time to time.

For the time being I've decided to stray from RPGs and such since that's mostly what I do normally anyway. Sorry Mak, Zelda will have to come in second this time.

I liked Mottz idea a little better... 1 for it's unpopularity of remixes, and 2 because it really is a classic that doesn't get the attention it deserves IMHO.

I spent about an hour listening to NG 1, 2, and 3 .NSF files. One song in particular caught my attention above the others. That being, the introduction to the first game itself, the death of Ryu's father, which started it all really.

I've thrown a couple tunes together, but this is the one I think I'm going to stick with for now.

Ninja Gaiden - A Legend is Born (http://www.geocities.com/ZeldaClassicArchive/Mp3s/Hermit_ALegendisBorn.mp3)
(Right Click, Save Target As...)

I thought it would be more fitting to use something related to a Japanese feel for the initial melody. Hence the Pan Flute. After all, when you think "Ninja"... you think of Japan in some way, or at least I do anyway... It's just a concept piece, and only about 40some seconds. As you can probably tell if you listen to it, his father just died. Now it's time to bring in Ryu! Enjoy, and I'll keep you all posted on my progress ;)