PDA

View Full Version : Give Linux a try without partitioning and messy installs!

vegeta1215
07-24-2002, 04:18 PM
Hi everyone. With all the discussion that goes on about Linux here on AGN, there are probably many different kinds of people reading the posts. Some include those of us that have embraced this alternative OS, those that are happy with their current OS (such as Windows or Mac), and then there are those that may want to try Linux, but are afraid of the risks involved in changing their current computer.

Well, the people in this 3rd group are in luck! I found a link to a Linux Distro that lets current Windows users give Linux a try without partitioning their drive and dealing with messy installs. And if you don't like it, it's really easy to uninstall.

This quote is from the main page of Phat Linux (http://www.phatlinux.com):

Have you ever wanted to install Linux on a Windows computer? Are you frustrated and intimidated by the risky partitioning and installation procedures? Phat Linux could be exactly what you are looking for.

Phat Linux is a distribution of the Linux operating system that can be installed on a Windows computer with ease. With its revolutionary installation techniques, you can install Phat Linux on your computer, without repartitioning your hard drive. This means you are free to experminent with Linux, while keeping Windows intact.

Conventional Linux installations need a seperate hard drive partition, which requires the removal of existing partitions. This means to install Linux on a Windows computer, everything must be removed and replaced. This not true with Phat Linux! Phat Linux will install in a folder on your C: drive, like any ordinary application, yet it runs as any Linux installation would.

To find out more about the benifits of Phat Linux, click here (http://www.phatlinux.com).

So, what have you got to lose? I encourage any of you who are a little curious to give it a try. :D

AlexMax
07-24-2002, 04:21 PM
I have had more success with demonstrating Linux through DemoLinux. It generally works fine, and you can anchor it to your HD to save shit if you want.

Can't remember the website tho. Look on google for it.

Selah
07-24-2002, 04:22 PM
I would but
A. i dont have the koda
B. i dont care
C. i dont want to change
d. there is no d so look else where.

vegeta1215
07-24-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by AlexMax
I have had more success with demonstrating Linux through DemoLinux. It generally works fine, and you can anchor it to your HD to save shit if you want.

Can't remember the website tho. Look on google for it.

http://www.demolinux.org/

Originally posted by Selah
I would but
A. i dont have the koda
B. i dont care
C. i dont want to change
d. there is no d so look else where.

Alrighty. If you fall into the 2nd category I mentioned, "those happy with their current OS", that's fine. We understand. I don't want to argue with anyone, cause we've had to much of that. I just want to give those who are afraid of messing up their computer a chance to try Linux without worry.

EWild
07-24-2002, 04:38 PM
I'm wondering what's so good about Lunix? I just want to know before I try. Windows 95 is good at the moment. And my dad would flip and say you killed the computer if I did.

MottZilla
07-24-2002, 04:43 PM
I'm interested in trying linux again, however to see if I could get MAME to run better.

theplustwo
07-24-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by EWild
I'm wondering what's so good about Lunix? I just want to know before I try. Windows 95 is good at the moment. And my dad would flip and say you killed the computer if I did.

I'm sorry, but, if 95 fulfills all of your computing needs, you are probably way to casual of a computer user to get anything out of linux.

I tried downloading phat linux before, but the archive got corrupted in the download and I havent taken the time to try and download it again, I think I'll just wait until I get some moolah and buy mandrake.

EWild
07-24-2002, 05:11 PM
OH just wondering.I barely do much cept games, surfing the net and ROMS.

MottZilla
07-24-2002, 06:26 PM
Well, FYI, linux may be faster than windows for you, because you'd have more resources free to run emulators. But eh, if everything is ok now, no point in changing.

mikeron
07-24-2002, 08:46 PM
Bah, linux is supposed to be hard. It's a rite of passage. ;)

vegeta1215
07-24-2002, 10:14 PM
Ugh...did any of you guys read that quote I posted?

Actually, nevermind. If anyone wants to try Linux, download a full distro like Mandrake or Red Hat. Just be sure to backup all your data before you do anything.

If your parents won't let you, they'd be denying you a perfectly good learning opportunity. Use that in your defense if you really wanna give it a try.

MottZilla
07-25-2002, 02:25 AM
vegeta, I do have Red Hat here, however I don't want to format and such again. Last time I used red hat it was virtually useless.

Anyways, what else can you tell me about phatlinux? Will this actually boot like the dual boot i had with redhat linux and win98?

This will actually be running linux too yes? Not something ontop of windows.

I mainly wanted to try linux to see if it runs better/more stable than win98. See if I can get better performance out of some linux emulators, other things.

So feel free to post more about it.

DemoQuestFan
07-25-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by vegeta1215
If your parents won't let you, they'd be denying you a perfectly good learning opportunity. Use that in your defense if you really wanna give it a try.

That sounds like the conversation we had the other night on IM. By the way she disregarded it as "I looked at the article and sent her a "Link" to an article abour Redhat Linux." I guess she didnt look at our conversation.

MottZilla
07-25-2002, 05:31 PM
My friend was recently telling me that phatlinux is terrible. My other friend said that slackware is better. Why the fuck don't people actually give reasons? I want reasons, not their opinion in 1 statement.

vegeta1215
07-25-2002, 06:38 PM
I haven't tried it myself, but phat linux sounded like a good idea. In response to mott, yes, the way phat linux says it works is that it installs it inside Windows. It sounds more like a demo to me (and I really wouldn't want to rely on Windows to back it). But I'm not really sure.

A friend of mine said that Phat Linux and demoLinux aren't really good, and anyone would be better off using a popular distro like Red Hat or Mandrake. I wish I had the chance to try Phat Linux out before posting about it. I was just excited that it would give people a chance to try Linux without worry, cause it seems alot of people here want to try it, but are afraid of messing up their computer.

My friend did say Vector Linux was a pretty good mini-distro though.