PDA

View Full Version : Victory Is Mine!!!

AtmaWeapon
07-23-2002, 06:21 PM
I just beat Eternal Darkness. I know this doesn't seem all that good, but it is the first time I have ever beaten a game from start to finish without consulting a walkthrough! THE FIRST ONE EVER!!! I SUCK AT VIDEO GAMES BUT MY PATIENCE HAS BEEN REWARDED!!! HAHAHAHA!!! Now I can bring it back to Blockbuster in peace, it's gonna be a while before I beat it the other two times.

The Savior
07-23-2002, 07:58 PM
When you say "The other two times" does that mean picking up a differant idol in the beginning?

[edit] Oh and congratulations and stuff. I'm on chapter nine, and I haven't used a walkthrough yet.

AtmaWeapon
07-23-2002, 08:11 PM
Good luck, if I'm not mistaken I was stuck at the end of Chapter Nine for quite some time.

**************SPOILER BELOW****************
Yes, I mean picking up a different idol in the beginning.
**************END SPOILER*******************

EWild
07-23-2002, 09:13 PM
Good job, doesn't it feel good not to cheat? Really the first time that happened was in... um... ahh... Felix the Cat for NES, siriously.

mrz84
07-23-2002, 11:12 PM
i used a walkthrough the first time when i played through ff3(snes) for the second time. i didn't know where to find the guide when i first played it because of my liufe-style, i'm almost always a system or two behind. in this case 3 or 4 because of dreamcast, gamecube, ps2 and gameboy advance. why not x-box? cause i don't care for it. it doesn't appeal to me while the systems of comapnies that have been in the console biz for years (sega, nintendo, sony) appeal to me more because they know the formula for a successful system/game. :kawaii:

quadforce
07-23-2002, 11:55 PM
I've never played Eternal Darkness, and I beat FF4(2 for me) without a walkthrough. yeah, not that tough, I know, but if it counts, I got ALL of the summons and special items/weapons without said guide. surprisingly, that is the only FF I have beaten... I seem to get bored near the end of FF when the endless leveling and bosses begin... Yuck. I like games like Chrono Trigger, where you SEE the damn monsters before you fight them. Oops, got off of topic.

What system is ED on? Is it cool? Your gonna say yes. Is it an RPG? It sounds like one.

AtmaWeapon
07-24-2002, 08:20 AM
Firstly, it's not likely you got ALL the summons in FF4. You probably got all the easy-to-find, there-every-game summons, like Bahamut and Asura. It is possible to summon every creature you encounter in the entire game. There's a VERY slim chance after fighting enemies that they will drop their summon spell. I didn't believe Nintendo Power until I got the Imp summon. It's VERY rare, though. I've played the game for a combined 2 years (1 1/2 when it first came out and another half since decipher sold me his FF4), and it's only happened once. Like getting all of Gau's rages in FF6, getting all possible summon spells is a nigh impossible goal.

Second, Eternal Darkness is on the Gamecube. It is a VERY good survival horror game, but very different than Resident Evil. The puzzles in ED actually make sense and can be solved by humans! You play as many different characters throughout the game, which makes it challenging because each character moves differently and requires you to find new strategies for dealing with enemies.

The sanity meter is what makes the game worth it. When an enemy spots you, you lose some of your sanity meter. To regain sanity, you must kill the enemy with a finishing move. Lose too much sanity, and the background music is replaced by whispering, babies crying, and tortured screams. There are many "sanity effects" that happen due to low sanity. One effect occurs when you walk into a room. You will be walking around as usual, but then your head falls off; then your arms; then your torso. It plays the "you just died" music, then you zap back to where you entered the room. It's just an effect. I won't spoil the rest of them in case you decide to play. It's DEFINITELY worth a shot, and the most surprising thing about it is it's a Nintendo release, not a third party. No one can say Nintendo doesn't make mature games anymore.

Grasshopper
07-24-2002, 09:07 AM
I asked this before. Do you get anything if you beat it a forth time? I've already beaten it with all three ancients and have gotten the longer ending. Whats after that?

Brian
07-24-2002, 09:15 AM
What makes you think any of us have beaten it four times?

Anyway, though I really liked the Sanity effects, I don't think they play a forerunner in the game. They're more in the background, for colorful effect. Because of this, I really don't think that Sanity makes the game so much better then it would be without it. It IS a great feature, but not one that makes the game, so to speak. (in the sence of making or breaking) I would have actually liked to see more drastic effects when the meter is low, like the whole room getting warped out, things grabbing your from pictures, evil faces flying around, etc.

Isn't it a second party release. (published by Nintendo, but not made by them) Didn't Silicon Knights develop it? But yeah, this is a big step up for Nintendo, though now instead of people saying "Nintnedo doesn't make mature games"; they will just say "Nintendo in general does not make mature games". But I hope there more from where Eternal Darkness came from.
But I could still never vision Miyamoto making a game like this.

Grasshopper
07-24-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Brian
What makes you think any of us have beaten it four times?

:drool: I guess not then. I don't know. I just thought there might be somebody out there.

SSJ3500
07-24-2002, 02:33 PM
I've been considering playing that game, is it any good or not worth renting?

Brian
07-24-2002, 02:49 PM
I bought it. You could probably beat it in a rent or two. It is a great game, one of the best out now for the Cube, if not the best. Check out of some reviews if you want. Gamespot gave it a 9.4 out of 10, and it got rave reviews elsewhere as well.

AlexMax
07-25-2002, 12:39 AM
Except by Cronic Snake. But his opinion doesn't matter. Eternal Darkness kicks ass, and alongside RE it is showing those haters that Gamecube can do 'mature and fun' if that's the way they want to play their games, instead of just plain 'fun'.