PDA

View Full Version : Thought that M$ propoganda couldn't get any worse?

AlexMax
07-23-2002, 01:10 PM
Read this...

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/19/1518202&mode=thread&tid=109

And for those who don't like links...

A rather funny juxtaposition this morning - Bill Gates or someone with his signature stamp sent a spam-gram to pretty much everyone who receives any sort of Microsoft email: Bill only mentions Digital Rights Management in one throw-away sentence. And like most other spam, he promises it's a one-time mailing. On the other hand, Jon Lasser of Think Unix fame takes a harsher look at Microsoft's vision of a world where your computer is trusted against you.

How very utterly sad...

Rijuhn
07-23-2002, 01:25 PM
Uh...I don't get it. Is there anything to get in that little paragraph other than the fact that Bill Gates has sent an email where he rambles on that is filled with 100% BS.

Personally I'm now worrying about Palladium (sp?) until it gets released, or until it's actually affecting me. I'd rather be happy than worry, fuck worrying, I worry to damn much when I could be happy for the sake of being happy. Later.

EWild
07-23-2002, 01:29 PM
Hmmm... spam eh.... Ah everything Bill says is a bunch BS. I would save it if I had gotten it. All well...

Chris
07-23-2002, 01:35 PM
So whats going on here ? I guess I'm just as much in the dark as everyone else except alexmax

:shrug:

Cronic
07-23-2002, 02:00 PM
Alex... have you really nothing better to do than spend what seems to be the majority of your time defaming someone you don't even like?

Once again man he's got you beat as he sits in his palace atop his mighty empire not even wondering who the you are or what you might be thinking... hehe that's why I put up with yuour irrational hatred of the man ;)

now if you'll all excuse me... I have an Xbox to go play with =)

Verman
07-23-2002, 03:05 PM
Bill Gates is a genius...Enough said...

Sure I hate him, the reason for it is because he ripped off Steve Jobs and Apple (I love macintosh, best music, best graphics, worst % of market).

Most people hate bill gates because of how rich he is and how he could give everyone on this board enough money to live on for the next 10 years without denting his pocket monies (hehheh monies).

Jealous....Thats what they all are Jealous...Did you know that Bill Gates gives millions of dollars to charity? The news say nothing about it....because they hate him too....

And about him having a monopoly, please give me a break. He has a cheaper product that is used by the most people which is why people keep buying it. Go linux or apple if you hate him, they have all the software you need, it may be harder to get so you can pirate it though.

Gas companies have a goddamn monopoly which is why when one gas stations price goes up all of them do...Thats bad because you ahve to have gas, you don't have to have windows.

So....QUIT YOUR GODDAMN WHINING...

ps. I would feel privledged if Bill Gates was spying on me, wow I must be important.

AlexMax
07-23-2002, 04:38 PM
Most people hate bill gates because of how rich he is and how he could give everyone on this board enough money to live on for the next 10 years without denting his pocket monies (hehheh monies).

Have you read a goddamn thing about what I have said in ANY of my posts on this subject? I could care less about Bill Gates being as rich as he is. What sickens me are the shameless and molopolistic tactics his company uses to meet their bottom line?

He has a cheaper product that is used by the most people which is why people keep buying it. Go linux or apple if you hate him, they have all the software you need, it may be harder to get so you can pirate it though.

Damn it, I guess you didn't. Guess I am going to have to state my platform all over again.

He does NOT have a cheaper product. There is no better price than free. And the only reason it is used by more people is because most of them don't know any better. Windows is preinstalled, they don't care.

But I am currently working as an intern for a company called Academy South...

http://www.academysouth.com/

...(I was working there before I went to UNCC)... My boss and I have this vision. If we can sell computers independantly to the people who 'don't know, don't care' and we offer a cheaper product with no hassle, they won't care.

Our first real Linux market will be the elderly. In general, the elderly consumer base we are targeting onlywant is to surf the web and have an email address they can check. If we set up a Linux system that is cheaper, just as stable, and does the same thing as the pricer and less stable Windows system, they don't give a flying fuck. Bingo.

My boss also is pretty well known in the IT field. He is fed up with some of the features of Windows 2000 (DNS Server is a POS), and what we are going to do is gain the trust of businesses with simple, portable, Windows solutions. Then we make our case for porting over to Linux, as it would be more stable, cost less, and require less mantinace. It's a dream. No need to upgrade hardware (since it will run faster on the same hardware), nothing to buy. And if they have a problem, they can always call us and we will go out and fix it.

Now if Microsoft would leave plans like that the fuck alone, I would be happy. Problem is, with this new Pallium chip they are trying to phase in, it will cap all Open Source software, or perhaps even try to eliminate it completely under the transparent guise of being more secure (which is UTTER bullshit, they just want to control what is on people's computers). This would be fine if they gave a fuck about their own products.

But they don't. And they are even trying to phase out Windows 2000, which is their most stable OS to date (Even shit can have varying colors). Why? It's such a good OS that people are buying it and not seeing a reason to upgrade to XP, which is far more bloated (Average Win2000 install is 500 megs, XP more than twice that) and the 'updated' EULA that basically sells your computer back to Microsoft.

Bill Gates may have earned his money, but he has trampled on one too many feet getting that money. And I am not going to sit back and complain about something that goes wrong with one of their products only to have them fall on deaf ears. I am going to stop using that product, and even if it means that I will be left behind in terms of Technology (unlikely, since Pallium is likely going to take a whole week to crack and probably won't catch on anyway.) I will not allow some shithead in Redmond to decide what goes on my fucking computer.

EDIT: Oh boy...

Jealous....Thats what they all are Jealous...Did you know that Bill Gates gives millions of dollars to charity? The news say nothing about it....because they hate him too....

Erm...They DO report it on the news. In fact, our side has hardly been in the news until very recently. And sure he is donating millions to charity. It's just a drop in the bucket for him, and it's all a political move to show that Microsoft gives a fuck about the poor.

Now if only they showed HALF of that concern about their end users...except to keep them from switching to Linux.

EDIT AGAIN:

Bill Gates is a genius...Enough said...

I'll give you that. I never said he was dumb. Sure, he was a Harvard dropout but then again he was a Harvard dropout. He is also a very smart businessman. And to tell you the truth, I think that it's not all really his fault. He started out as a hacker in a business world, without much business sense, and learned everything he knew from IBM, which was a far worse evil then it is today. (Think Vaporware started with M$? Think again...)

Menokh
07-23-2002, 04:55 PM
Windows is not cheaper.

Windows XP: $200-300
MacOS X: $129
Linux: free to download, $30-70 to buy on CD.
Not to mention the cost of an Office suite. MS Office costs $400 for the full version, Star Office costs $75 and does the same thing.

Total cost of ownership is another thing, But again Linux is 30% cheaper TCO on x86 hardware when compred to Windows. Ms has admitted that Linux is less expensive both initially and in the long run.

I don't really need to say much, since Alex covered most of it in the post above mine, although he is a little harsh about it.

EDIT: and I don't care about Bill's money, I care about how he got it.
And here's some figures, world wide market share for Desktop OS's:
Windows: 83%
MacOS(8-X): 12%
Linux: 3%-4%
Other: 1%-2%

EDIT2: and when you buy a computter with windows preinstalled, you are not getting it for free. You are actually paying around $150 for that copy of Windows.

EDIT3: Windows is ahead because MS made crucial marketong partnerships back in the 80's and early 90's, And they have financially punished any OEM who has shown interest in Desktop OS's other than windows. They have formed a monopoly(monopoly: publically percieved as the only choice, not always truthfully the only option) and held on to with illegal means. they nearly killed Netscape(internal Ms emails show that they bundled IE with windows with the sole intention of getting people to use an admittedly inferior product). And they killed SpyGlass(a now defunct web services company that made a web browser and licensed it to other companies) by licensing IE and then breaking the license agreement by giving it away for free.

AlexMax
07-23-2002, 05:06 PM
I don't really need to say much, since Alex covered most of it in the post above mine, although he is a little harsh about it.

Yeah, I probably was a little harsh. But I wanted to make a point and from the indications that was given, the writer of the post made very generalized assumptions about something he was not totally informed about. (And my point about the elderly was not to say that some elderly were computer illiterate, simply that the computer literate elderly were not in our target market)

Star Office costs $75 and does the same thing.

Not to mention the insane amount of shareware and freeware Linux products that do the same tihing as well. I would love to see somebody tell me with a straight face that anything M$ outputs is more powerful per kilobyte than emacs.

AtmaWeapon
07-23-2002, 06:30 PM
I decided to stop using the abbreviation "M$" when I heard the rant from Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com).

http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2002/20020722l.gif

That is all. Also, look at the recent topic about the OS debates. Let it die. Some like Windows, some like Linux, let them be.

AlexMax
07-23-2002, 07:25 PM
This whole topic did not start as a debate over OS's.

Rather it was turned into one after someone decided to bring Operating Systems into the picture instead of leaving it as simply poking fun at something a company has done.

AtmaWeapon
07-23-2002, 07:30 PM
I wasn't blaming anyone, just suggesting we quit turning every discussion into an argument.

DukenukemX
07-23-2002, 07:32 PM
I thought by now Microsoft would have M$ as a trademark by now. :tongue:

Well Microsoft is not being fair in this industry considering there tactics.

I mean we had the IE VS Netscape wars. Microsoft won by including it free with Windows and now they claim that it can't be uninstalled from Windows because it's integrated. What bull.

The Microsoft trust meter just went down.

Then Microsoft created Windows XP with all kinds of bad things you can't even begin to imagine. The big ones are XP registration, .NET, and the fact it technically is W2K.

The Microsoft trust meter just dropped down.

Lets not forget Microsoft's business tactics. Deal with lawyers now but stay as a Monopoly later. Anyone remember Microsoft putting Novell on a Cereal box and stating "how long do you think they will last"? I think it goes like that.

Most people hate Microsoft for these type of reasons. Since people think Microsoft=Bill Gates so then Billy gets the blame. I don't care what anyone says Bill Gates still owns the company. If he goes around the world to present the XBox he still owns M$. He uses the other jerk to cover his ass from legal issues.

AtmaWeapon
07-23-2002, 07:39 PM
Palladium's the only thing that scares me. None of the awful, hideous monstrosities that Windows XP supposedly commits have hurt me. I don't see how Palladium could legally exist. If it does come about, I will simply not buy a new computer again.

Menokh
07-23-2002, 08:23 PM
Xp never hurt me either, I ust didn't aprove of what it was doing and trying to do behind my back.

And of course palladium scres me too. It is a direct violation of E.U. privacy laws so if it comes out, I'll be wanting to move there.

DukenukemX
07-23-2002, 10:32 PM
You know Europe is starting to sound like America but less fucked up.

They have one currency. You can drive from country to country without needing a passport.

The laws they make are for the people and not for the businesses. Drinking, smoking, and etc seem to be less strict then America. They can show nudity and other material on TV without kids doing all kinds of stupid crap.

If somehow this palladium thing goes thru I'll move to Europe and install Linux on my PC and screw it all.

Starfalcon2
07-23-2002, 11:07 PM
I'll give you that. I never said he was dumb. Sure, he was a Harvard dropout but then again he was a Harvard dropout. He is also a very smart businessman. And to tell you the truth, I think that it's not all really his fault. He started out as a hacker in a business world, without much business sense, and learned everything he knew from IBM, which was a far worse evil then it is today. (Think Vaporware started with M$? Think again...)
My suggest watch movie name Pirates of Silicon Valley

vegeta1215
07-24-2002, 12:13 AM
In reply to Alex about the eldery using Linux, there was a cool link to an article on Slashdot called, "Why aren't our Moms using Linux." Search for it there or on Google, it's a good read.