PDA

View Full Version : Console sales figures

Consoleguy
07-23-2002, 12:42 AM
Microsoft has revealed it has shipped 3.9 million units of its Xbox gaming console as of June this year.

Microsoft revealed during its sales and profit forecast that it has shipped 3.9 million units of its Xbox gaming console worldwide as of June this year. The company expected shipment figures between 3.5 and 4 million units. On a side note, the Sony PlayStation 2 has shipped 30.02 million units as of May 5, and the Nintendo GameCube has shipped 3.8 million units as of March.

-as stated by Videogames.com

Just informing people on recent sales figures

Cronic
07-23-2002, 01:45 AM
Thanks man =) It's good to know not as many people haplessly fell into a Gay Cube nightmare as I thought... You wouldn't happen to be from the TXB forums would you? If so welcome to AGN... hell welcome anyway.

Beldaran
07-23-2002, 01:59 AM
lol xbox out sold the cube. lol

Seriously, though...as is evident from Britney Spears, sales figures do not determine quality. I'm a big xbox fan, but I think the cube looks totally rad too. The Nintendo games may look a little childish sometimes, but they are always loads of fun. And no one can argue with the PS2. Its just got too many damn games not to be cool.:)

Consoleguy
07-23-2002, 02:08 AM
On the contrary the Cube is out selling the Box, but it wont be long until MS buys or makes something that will be a system seller. Halo 2 anyone. Microsofts lack of sales can be attributed to less than mediocre sales in europe and terrible sales in Japan. But can you blame Japan. MS dug their own grave in japan after calling the X-Box project, Project Midway. WW2 is a sore spot for Japan.

Daarkseid
07-23-2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Beldaran
lol xbox out sold the cube. lol

Seriously, though...as is evident from Britney Spears, sales figures do not determine quality. I'm a big xbox fan, but I think the cube looks totally rad too. The Nintendo games may look a little childish sometimes, but they are always loads of fun. And no one can argue with the PS2. Its just got too many damn games not to be cool.:)

Yeah, I think all consoles have enough merits to be owned, I sincerely believe Nintendo is doing much better than it was during the N64 years. The X-box may prove to be even better as the development cycles reach their twilight, when console developers try to max out the power of each console, on which they create their games.

Kalin
07-23-2002, 09:03 AM
I have no idea who's sold what or who's in the lead but I would like to point out one thing: Those figures are for shipped units which aren't the same as sales figures. Shipped units just means that they sent out that many to retailers.

Chris
07-23-2002, 09:46 AM
woo hoo go PS2 ..and Its kinda funny PS2 is the weakest system right now (as far as Gay Cube and Xbox) ..but one more time GOOO PS2 :laughing:

yes that may be only how many they shipped .. but they are only gonna ship if the places need more units so these figures can reflect on the sales figures

AlexMax
07-23-2002, 12:06 PM
You are only taking one set of datapoints. As Microsoft has lied about just about everything in the past, what makes you beleive this?

Not that I am thinking it is too far off the mark. In fact, it seems like for every Xbox or Cube I see people have, there are at least three or four more PS2's that other people own. Although I think that datapoints from last months sales or something like that would be a better picture about which one is sucessful right now. I remember a month or two ago reading some sales figures that had fewer Xbox's being sold than even PSOne's...

And like Belderan says. Sales do not necissarily facilitate quality. Britany Spears is an excillent example, as is Windows XP/98. I beleive the 1984 for this was 'groupthink', where people would get it because they thought everyone else wanted one soley because of a media giant shoving it down their throat, reguardless of what was true.

Chris
07-23-2002, 02:17 PM
:blah: dont compare playstation with britney spears .. thats wrong lol.. and in my opinion PS2 is quality.. and they are not so much shoving the Playstation down our throat but people were happy with their playstation 1 and trust the sony company so far.
so they are eating the PS2's up

this is my opinion.. but you know what they say opinions are like buttholes everyone else thinks everyone elses stinks.. right ? :laughing:

EWild
07-23-2002, 02:26 PM
Well I got a N64, A PSX, and a Cube. If I had the money PS2 would be on the list but sadly I don't. The Cube is doing well, the PS2 has been out a lot longer than the Cube and X-Box and the X-Box is going steady also.

The Silent Assassin
07-23-2002, 03:51 PM
Yeah, companies like to use raw figures...or "nominal". As pointed out, they were just shipped. Like Metal Gear Solid sold 2 million copies in the first week...that was just "shipped" to US, not sold.

Same with processing power...they always use raw polygon power...like how many single shaded bare 3D shapes can be displayed at once.

MottZilla
07-23-2002, 04:01 PM
Actually TSA, only Sony and Microsoft, though mainly sony, lied about polygons per sec. Sega with dreamcast did not lie at all, infact underestimated the system. Nintendo also didn't try to stretch the truth.