PDA

View Full Version : Internet extends long arm of the law

Menokh
07-22-2002, 09:52 PM
that title is taken from the title of the article for lack of a better title.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/07/22/borderless.internet.ap/index.html

It seems as though various governments feel they have the right to sue and arrest people over things happenning on the internet in different countries. A recent example is a russian hacker made a program that is legal in Russia, but illegal here; when he came to the USA to attend a convention he was arested for writing that program.

So what's your opinion on this? What needs to be done for most nations to agree when it comes to 'the law of the internet'?

Dracula
07-22-2002, 10:05 PM
...Jesus... This is unbelievable... I guess it's handy to catch sexual predators, but some of it is unnecesary. The Russion hacker should not have been arrested, I think. If someone smaokes Marijuana where it's legal, but they come to the US, but not smoke, they shouldn't be arrested. Why this guy? (unless he's been sharing the file with American users, then it makes sense)

Orion
07-22-2002, 10:22 PM
But at the same time, you should know that by coming into the United States that you can be arrested for crimes commited in other countries. While I don't agree with it, if he had known better to come here, it would never have happened.

AlexMax
07-22-2002, 10:55 PM
Yeah. If you commit terrorisem in another country, dont think that you are off the hook just because your rinky dink country passed a law that permits you to do something the US laws banish.

How stupid was it to wander into the US anyway?

The Silent Assassin
07-22-2002, 11:09 PM
AS Zelda64Gld would say...get...

"Diplomatic Immunity"

MottZilla
07-23-2002, 05:13 AM
Damn people. 99.9% of people that have to do with the law don't even know what the internet is really..

zfreak2004
07-23-2002, 08:44 AM
Its the guy's own fault. He broke on of our laws and he was dumb enough to show his ugly mug over here.

Motzilla: CHANGE YOUR SIG!!!! Really. That borders on spam and a person has to scroll forever just to get to the next post or the bottom of the page.

The Savior
07-23-2002, 08:47 AM
Mott's sig is completely within the rules, even if it is annoying. I doubt that it was intentional, in any case.

Paradox
07-23-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by The Savior
I doubt that it was intentional, in any case.
um, you're joking, right?

everyone has to lay off the internet/computer people because there are so many things that you can do to break/go with the rules that the people that make the decisions probably don't know really what they're doing.

Jemsee
07-23-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by The Savior
Mott's sig is completely within the rules, even if it is annoying. I doubt that it was intentional, in any case.

How could it be unintentional? Just another lame attention getter "Oh look at me I'm pushing the limits, aren’t I cool?"
Want my attention Motts? Try stuffing your sig up your ass, I'm sure there is enough room, then post a pic. Now that would get my attention.

ON TOPIC> the governments still don't know how to regulate cyber space. There are restricted waters, air space, land, but cyberspace can be everywhere and they don't know to control it.
That is why they nail any one they can, any way they can.
That is why freedom on the net is under attack, 'cus it is still a free frontier, still growing and being explored.
This may soon change and walls will go up and boarders put in place.
Imagine having to buy a visa type password to visit sites out side of your land boarders, internet traffic regulated just like travel and importing and exporting of goods.
It all comes down to control.

Orion
07-23-2002, 11:19 AM
Mott's sig is not the topic of discussion here. The situation is being taken care of. Please stop playing rent-a-mods.