PDA

View Full Version : Pope mania!

Jigglysaint
07-22-2002, 06:23 PM
Well, World Youth Day is happening, next door to my city. They expect 25,000 people, the lowest on record.

My question, what do you think of the Pope, do you think he has any authority to head a church? Do you even respect the Pope?

I'm just wondering since this Tuesday Toronto will be Popeville, heck they even put a cross on top of the CN Tower!

slothman
07-22-2002, 07:26 PM
I don't respect him any more than anyone else. I don't know why he would have no authority as he is like the head bishop. He problaby does need to do more to help the world though. He could also try to reconsile the various Christian sects back together again.

Beldaran
07-22-2002, 07:39 PM
eh, I respect the pope about the same as the president of another country. The catholic church is sort of like a government anyway. I'm not catholic though, so its not like I have to do what he says.

Rijuhn
07-22-2002, 11:18 PM
I could care less to tell you the truth. The reasons? Well I know I'll get flak for this but I don't give a sheeot!

1- I don't personally know him
2- He's Catholic, which basically means he's a mini-god of some stature in Catholic religion
3- I just don't have the energy to care
4- I want cheese cake, and liv taylor to suck my cock

Tygore
07-22-2002, 11:49 PM
I'm not catholic... I really don't care... I respect him, as he is an authority... but I don't treat him as a religious leader... I like the elipsis... I'm not wearing pants...

Selah
07-22-2002, 11:58 PM
No not really. I dont know much about him. nor do i care but of the few things ive heard about him i think he is a hippocrite. then again im not catholic and dont care...

Jemsee
07-23-2002, 12:09 AM
Respect him? Would have to know more about him, and I really don't want to. So no I don't respect him personaly.
Respect his position as church leader?
Nope! Any human who thinks he or she can vote people in or out of heaven or lift some one out of hell (as if such a place exsisted) thinks just a little too much of themselves for my taste.

Jigglysaint
07-23-2002, 12:11 AM
I'm too impressed with the pope either.

Cyclone
07-23-2002, 03:08 AM
The guy is about to die, NEway. I've heard this could be his last World Youth Day, and that he may not even make it (though it seems he will, now).

Cyclone

Jigglysaint
07-23-2002, 03:21 AM
LOL, so anybody want to predict the demise of "His Holines"?

zfreak2004
07-23-2002, 08:53 AM
I respect the Pope in the context of a leader. But that is it. I'd rather not predict anyone's demise thank you.

Drunken Tiger
07-23-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Rijuhn
I could care less to tell you the truth. The reasons? Well I know I'll get flak for this but I don't give a sheeot!

1- I don't personally know him
2- He's Catholic, which basically means he's a mini-god of some stature in Catholic religion
3- I just don't have the energy to care
4- I want cheese cake, and liv taylor to suck my cock

I couldnt of put it any better myself........

too lazy..;)

King Link
07-23-2002, 05:10 PM
The Pope just landed in Toronto several hours ago. Pope Mania has started, in Jigglysaint's words.

Icey
07-23-2002, 05:25 PM
The Pope is neither a poor leader or a "mini-god"

Any catholic who regards the pope as a mini-god is a downright idiot and should be shot

The Pope is not a poor leader. In fact, he isnt a leader at all. You think he actually makes the decisions? HELL NO! Hes got cardinals and bishops at the vatican to do that for him. They "advise" him. In other words, he lies there dying and they say something and he says "ok". Honestly, the pope himself does nothing right now because he is too weak to do anything.

The Catholic Church desperately needs its next pope... because this one is being controlled by some stupid ass old men who would die before changing policies.

Ever wonder why the catolic church hasnt made changes as to marriage or regarding celebac, or regarding womens preisthood before? All the high leaders are celebant old men. They couldnt care if the clergy was allowed to marry, or to make celebacy optional. And they dont care if women are allowed to be ordained or not. To them any changes in the church would just be a long process. Another big job.

The common excuse you see for lack of changes in the church are that they are following tradition. Bullshit. Peter (ahem.. mother-inlaw), and many other leaders of the church had wifes and children, up until about 100 AD. In fact, one of the popes may have even been a woman.

Now dont get me wrong, very few members of the clergy think like this. The majority of priests, bishops, and cardinals across the world really are good people. But those in high positions are manupilating their power so that they dont have to work. Its a shame that those few ruin it for the many great people that work so hard to do their jobs.

[Edit: I apologize for the off topic nature of this post]

Jigglysaint
07-23-2002, 11:45 PM
LOL, Pope on a Rope!

Ruler26
07-24-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by paullyo6
The Pope is neither a poor leader or a "mini-god"

Any catholic who regards the pope as a mini-god is a downright idiot and should be shot

That's a very disrespectful thing to say. The gist of your statement, which I think is something along the lines that the Pope is not higher than anyone else, might be true, but to blatantly insult and practically threaten faithful Catholics is a flame.

No matter how weird it might seem, that is a basic Catholic belief. Catholics believe that there is a hierarchy between themselves and God. You don't pray directly to God, you pray to a priest or somebody like that, who is on a higher level of the hierarchy than yourself. They sort of pass it along, and since the Pope is considered to be at the highest level of the hierarchy, he can be sort of seen as a mini-god.

If you don't believe that, then that's fine. I myself don't believe it, I believe that there is no distance between man and God, but that's besides the point. No matter what, people have their beliefs. To disrespect someone's belief is very ignorant and crude. It is better that you don't do it again.

slothman
07-24-2002, 11:38 AM
When is it true that people pray to the pope. I don't know of any Christians that pray to him and not to God. I don't think it is what believe. As far as I know the pope is just like a higher level priest.

Mitsukara
07-24-2002, 12:51 PM
Toronto will be Popeville
Do I hear any yankee doodles volunteering to join me in turning it into a dandy?

Jigglysaint
07-24-2002, 06:17 PM
I'm from next door(Mississauga), but sure, let's waste it!

ZZGundam
07-26-2002, 09:48 PM
I consider him a respectable man, but as a lutheran, I don't follow him. Also, I think the catholic church has essentially made him just a respected figurehead. Now, only the cardinals have any power, and on that topic, I'd say we all need to be doing plenty of praying! :eek: