PDA

View Full Version : Dell finally takes countermeasures against M$

AlexMax
07-22-2002, 11:55 AM
From FuckMicrosoft.com forums. (The origional news article seems to be down, but we are assured that this information is true...

MORE EXPLODING CD ROM's
Nick Stroud received a mail from Paul Shackleton a Senior IT Technician from Milton Keynes Council who had an incident with an exploding CD ROM.

"We had a disk explode earlier today, and eject a sizeable chunk across the office, ricocheting off a pc on a desk, and impacting an office dividing partition. To say we were startled is a slight understatement! It made "one helluva bang"!!

The server concerned is one of my "spare" boxes... It is a DELL Poweredge 1300, and the drive that had the cd in is a SAMSUNG CD-Master 48E, model SC-148. The disc that disintegrated was a MICROSOFT NT4.0 cd-rom!

Please be vigilant and check ALL CD media before use.

This is the actual drive and disk.

(Huge pictures ahead..)

http://www.boomspeed.com/calumw1l/explodingCDs.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/calumw1l/crackedwindowsCD.jpg

Is Dell finally taking countermeasures against M$?

Breaker
07-22-2002, 12:20 PM
I think it's all BS, :shrug:

The Savior
07-22-2002, 12:26 PM
I could be true, but I kind of doubt it. Although it would be difficult to break the CD in a pattern like that.

EWild
07-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Finally someone is doing something to those M$ retards. Watch out next time it could be your computer when you try to install WindowsNT 4.0... WTF who would do that anyways?

Warlock
07-22-2002, 12:51 PM
I don't get it..did Microsoft have something to do with making the CD ROM drive? Because that's what it sounds like is busted.. I don't think a Windows NT cd is going to be rigged to explode or anything like that.. the only thing I can think of is if there was some sort of bad code that told the CD-ROM drive to spin the CD extremely fast or something (although I'm not so sure that code can really regulate that)

Orion
07-22-2002, 12:53 PM
I've had CDs go flying out of the tray before, but not with that much force. I once but a CD-R in a standard CD tray. While it was spinning I opened the tray and the disc went flying and ended up on the other side of the room. Kinda cool.

Menokh
07-22-2002, 03:36 PM
Never seen that happen before, but I've heard of it happenning.

On a side note, according to the NT CD MS actually used to make windows for different processors, I wonder what happenned...

Dracula
07-22-2002, 04:27 PM
...After seeing what happened to my first copy of SOTN in my friend's Playstation, that sounds believable...

theplustwo
07-22-2002, 04:34 PM
In MaximumPC magazine a guy sent in pictures of a cd drive that had exploded with Age of Empires in it, is this something that only happens to microsoft discs? Actually, in MaxPC they said it was caused by some older CD readers that spin at very high disc speeds, and uneven art on the disc can cause balance problems. Usually, the only thing that happens is that the drive will shutter and make noise, but I guess sometimes that can lead to the disc actually shattering and spewing out of the tray.

The guy with the AoE disc said he took out the drive, shook out the shattered pieces, and put it back in and it still worked fine, but I think this is the reason why you don't see over 40x speeds in newer CD drives.

AtmaWeapon
07-22-2002, 04:48 PM
Look at the heat marks around that CD drive. Obviously this guy had cooling problems. High heat + high RPMs is bound to make a lot of bad stuff happen.

[edit] Also, note the scuff and scratch marks all over the CD. Something was done to it, plain and simple.