PDA

View Full Version : Ya know, if programmers were smart...

zables
07-21-2002, 06:40 PM
Ok, you guys are probably all going to want to shoot me and string me up by my genitals for saying this, but if programmers were smart (well emulator programmers were) they would program a PS2 and a GC emulator for the X-box, i mean think about it, it has a HD, its got the best specs, and then a person could truly get the best of all 3 worlds.... although i havent figured out what they would do about the size of the GC disks yet, but still... what would there be to loose?

Menokh
07-21-2002, 06:46 PM
Won't happen.
The XBOX uses a Pentium3 processor running at 700mhz.
the GameCube uses a processor that is capable of equivalent performance, an IBM GeckoPPC at 450mhz.
And the PS2 is one complicated machine. The PPC processor in the GameCube has what's known as a 'Velocity Engine' it allows it to do nearly twice as much per clock cycle when compared to a PIII.

the emulator for either of these would be very resource intensive, and would be slower than shit through a funnel on the XBOX; simply because it would need to emulate a different processor and architecture(example of this is a SNES emulator running on equivalent hardware, aka IBM 486, it's very slow). To get any sort of decent speed on a different processor it would need to be faster.

MottZilla
07-23-2002, 12:09 AM
Ya, you don't realize, it's just not possible. Even with dynamic recompilation, Xbox isn't powerful enough.

Daarkseid
07-23-2002, 02:35 AM
No, they just need to start making emulators of classic systems like the NES and the Genesis, etc. for the next gen consoles. The X-box could surely emulate the SNES, the GC could too.

They've made emulators like those for the Dream Cast already...

MottZilla
07-23-2002, 04:35 AM
Actually persons have made emulator's for dreamcast, but no one from any companies.

Fiyerstorm
07-23-2002, 04:40 AM
A NES, SNES, GB, GBC, and GBA emus for GC would be nice....

offtopic: mottz, whats up with your sig?

Daarkseid
07-23-2002, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by SlasherCGE
A NES, SNES, GB, GBC, and GBA emus for GC would be nice....

That'd be kinda hard though, seeing as how the GC doesn't read CDs, so you couldn't burn the emus and roms to a CD, and the GC isn't going to have a hard drive to download files onto when the GC goes online...

MottZilla
07-23-2002, 04:49 AM
Ya, GC only accept mini-dvds and not many have DVD writers and then GC has protection so you'd have to make a CD just right to get it to boot and then there is the fact there is no free dev kits for it.

Fiyerstorm
07-23-2002, 04:53 AM
Here's a theory...maybe Serial Port 2 is the place to plug-in a HD coming out in the future......

It can't be High-Speed Port, cause I believe that will be for 'add-on power' for the GC cuz of Nintendo claiming they will focus more on games than creating new systems.

Hell.....or even this...Serial Port 2 is for a prehiperal that you can connect a NES, SNES, etc. to...

MottZilla
07-23-2002, 04:08 PM
Likely the extra serial ports may never be used.

zables
07-25-2002, 04:07 AM
instead of using serial, why the heck not use USB?

Menokh
07-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by zables
instead of using serial, why the heck not use USB?

USB= Universal Serial Bus

USB is simply a more advanced, faster and smaller serial port.

The serial ports on the GameCube are similar to USB buy completely incompatible with it, Nintendo wanted to make thier own serial ports, I guess.

MottZilla
07-25-2002, 05:04 PM
You don't want standards on your system. It makes it easier to hack. :p Hence, no standard DVDs. Mini-DVDs, with protection.