PDA

View Full Version : Some issues surrounding LightWorld.

Orion
07-18-2002, 01:40 PM
As production of LightWorld is coming to a close, I'd like some input on a few things that I'm debating to do or not do. I'd like to try and please as many people as I can with this thing, so please comment and make suggestions on these things:

First of all, passageways. As you know, there never were side-scrolling passageways in Zelda 3. I could put them in using the graphics from the file selection screen (in Zelda 3), but I don't know how it would look. The other option is to just have warps from one stairway to another. Thoughts? Also, items have moved from passageways and into big chests.

Next, How about a title screen, which could be followed by a screen which will take you to the story (something like the opening of Zelda 3) or to the gameplay at the player's choice. I don't think it would be too hard to add, but again, I want to know what you people think about this.

Another thing, changing music. I wanted to put in Death Mountain music around the enterance to Level 9, as well as Lost Woods music in the Level 2 area. However, this means that when you die in that area, you either A: start over at the place where the music changes or B: start over at screen 77, but with either the Lost Woods music or Death Mountain music playing for the overworld music. If anybody has any ideas on how to fix this, please throw them at me.

And finally, I've been debating about boss keys. The current design has the dungeons set with boss doors and keys, which were never found in Zelda 1. Since this is still a remake of the original game, do we still want these? Keep in mind this would delay the release until DN releases the next ZC version with boss keys enabled.

Anywho, please tell me what you think about these things. Beta testing will begin shortly.

ZeldaLord
07-18-2002, 03:10 PM
My opinions

Ditch the passageways, and use normal stair warps instead.

Yes, I like the title screen/intro idea, I think you should add it.

Actually, change the music and add some leaf shadows in both of the forests, and add some clouds around Death Mountain, to make it more Lttp-ish. About the music, I don't mind starting back on the same DMap.

Boss keys: Yes (this is meant to be Lttp-ish, remember, and an extra challenge can't hurt), and you don't need to delay it either, just use Jigglysaint's idea (use the trigger enemy).

Samson007
07-18-2002, 03:42 PM
The music thing can be solved by making Death mountain and the lost woods seperate Dmaps than the overworld.

Raichu86
07-18-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Orion
Another thing, changing music. I wanted to put in Death Mountain music around the enterance to Level 9, as well as Lost Woods music in the Level 2 area. However, this means that when you die in that area, you either A: start over at the place where the music changes or B: start over at screen 77, but with either the Lost Woods music or Death Mountain music playing for the overworld music. If anybody has any ideas on how to fix this, please throw them at me.

Put all these sections on a different map. Make all screens with entrance/exits that are not part of the Lost Woods/Death Mountain area be completely black screens covered with stairs, so when Link continues (after dying or F6), he steps on those stairs and warps to the same coordinates on the correct DMap.

I'd recommened turning No Subscreen on for those warp screens to get the best effect. The music will play for a tiny fraction of a second, but I don't worry with it.

:D

ZeldaFan001
07-18-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Samson007
The music thing can be solved by making Death mountain and the lost woods seperate Dmaps than the overworld.

You'll have to continue from those Dmaps to make it work. Otherwise, you end up at screen 77 with the wrong midi.

I totally agree with ZeldaLord on all his ideas.

Are you using all or most of the Light World tiles when making this quest?

Praethus
07-18-2002, 09:49 PM
Title screen is good, as well as boss keys. The music change doesn't bother me. I say take the passageways out.

Orion
07-18-2002, 11:09 PM
I have already added the tree conopy to the lost woods, as well sa fog, clouds, and rain to some areas. As for using the other boss key option, since I am trying to showcase many of ZC's newer features, I would like to use the "real" way. I don't think it will be long before that fix is released.

Thanx for your input ppl.

K-Teclis
07-19-2002, 11:31 AM
Sounds good!
Go for it! :)

Dechipher
07-21-2002, 05:50 PM
hmmm....some newbs really are smart...

The different map idea is good...considering you can use (practically) as many maps as you want...

Foxx
07-22-2002, 01:12 AM
Ditch the passageways? Naw, keep 'em in if you can, using the best appropriate LTTP graphics available. Only if there's nothing that fits, should you resort to instant warps. While you're overhauling the graphics, you should make as few changes as possible to the original gameplay.

Orion
07-22-2002, 10:33 AM
But at the same time it's meant to be like ALTTP. That hardest part about making this quest has been deciding these things. If I did include passages, it would most likely use the graphics from the LTTP file select screen. I told you I ripped EVERY tile from the game :D.

Anyway, another idea I had. Nothing is set in stone for this yet, but it wouldn't take me long to change or change back:
as you know, the raft has been replaced by the flippers. So I was thinking, why not replace the ladder with the hookshot. It wouldn't effect gameplay all that much I thinks.

ZeldaLord
07-22-2002, 10:51 AM
Yes, but remember to place hookshot posts on the screens where you used to use the ladder.

Kairyu
07-22-2002, 11:12 AM
You can keep in passageways, just set them up like normal dungeon rooms with stairways 3 tiles away from the left and right edges at the top of the screen. That's what I do normally.