PDA

View Full Version : I'm genuinly excited...

Cronic
07-18-2002, 12:32 PM
I get my Xbox this afternoon and it feels to me much like the day I purchased my Sega Genisis which is a feeling I haven't matched since the N64... I can't explain why I mean I was happy to get my PS2 and Game Cube, but there was just no excitement to them... other friends had them so they were more or less old hat + there really isn't anything all that new about them, but the Xbox for some reason strikes me as different, and I'd like as many of you as possible to look past the Microsoft logo just long enough to give this system a try. Theyre getting some big names, and I can't imagine a system witH Metal Gear Solid failing like the DC did. Either way I haven't much of an opinion as I haven't played many games, but for some strange reason I'm excited to be getting one this after noon =)

Seriously... You should give the thing try... I mean it has mod capabilities... It has the ability to store and mix your own sound tracks... The hard drive allows for much more detail, and larger enviroments and I love the concept of Booster packs... If they wanted to add something to the game after it shipped they now can... seriously this system strikes me as being for the gamers the other consoles have been ignoring.

Dart Zaidyer
07-18-2002, 12:54 PM
Well I'm still skeptical about the thing. If Bill gets brave with his monopoly practices, the X-Box could suffer because of it. I'd rather invest in a console with a better chance of living out, for the time being. =/
If the X-Box ultimately does well however, then I might buy one in a few years.

The Savior
07-18-2002, 01:23 PM
I might get one, but the thing strikes me as having poor workmanship. Just this morning I found an article on my desk warning about the dangers of using CD-RWs in an X-Box.

Cronic
07-18-2002, 01:34 PM
Dangers eh? Enlighten me?

MottZilla
07-18-2002, 01:51 PM
CD-RWs have a different surface coating than normal CDRs. However according to microsoft you SHOULDN'T be copying games so :p

Also, last I heard, you had to use CDRWs for xbox copies cause CDRs don't work.

The Silent Assassin
07-18-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic
They're getting some big names, and I can't imagine a system with Metal Gear Solid failing like the DC did.

The MSX failed. It had Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Metal Gear Solid PC and Metal Gear Solid for GBC also did not sell well, though GBC and PC markets are doing just fine.

giblet
07-18-2002, 03:36 PM
:odd:

The Savior
07-18-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cronic
Dangers eh? Enlighten me?

I don't recommend anyone using CDRWs in their XBOXs because the drive isn't designed for reading CDRWs. Many users have reported that their drives have died after exessive usage of games put on CDRWs. Apparently, the frives are of lower quality and isn't use to all the fast searches on a CDRW as opposed to the slower searches of a DVD. If you burn out your drive the only solution is to leave your XBOX open and have a PC DVD-ROM stacked over the dead one. For games that are "ripped" to fit a 80min CDRW, my suggestion is for you to compile 3 or 4 rips onto 1 DVD-R or DVD-RW using Xmenu or GameSelector.

Take that for what it's worth. I'm not exactly sure what they mean about "stacking a DVD-ROM over the dead one", however.

Menokh
07-18-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by The Savior

Take that for what it's worth. I'm not exactly sure what they mean about "stacking a DVD-ROM over the dead one", however.

they mean hook up a standard high quality DVD-ROM drive to the XBOX's IDE port in place of the existing one. But of course you'd need to leave the original there, since it doesn't come out, and your XBOX's internals would be expossed to the elements.

The Savior
07-18-2002, 03:46 PM
That makes sense, I guess.

Fiyerstorm
07-18-2002, 03:54 PM
DeeSee! Now you're gonna have all 3 new systems like me!!! It's a great feeling cause if a fanboy tells you something, it doesn't mean shit.

Cronic
07-18-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by SlasherCGE
DeeSee! Now you're gonna have all 3 new systems like me!!! It's a great feeling cause if a fanboy tells you something, it doesn't mean shit.

Damn skippy ;)

At least some of us are willing to think inside and outside the box ;)

Ok... I have it now, and I'm digging the fact that it weighs a fuckin ton... it actually feels like something worth a couple hundred bucks ;)

I picked up... Tony Hawk 2x, Hunter the rekoning, DOA3, and of course Halo.

The controller is actually a lot more comfortable or me than that of the Game Cube, and I'll let you know what I think of the system after I get it hooked up.