PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo mail edits emails.

Menokh
07-17-2002, 10:33 PM
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-944315.html?tag=fd_lede

They filter out words that supposedly are commands for JavaScript. They replace the offending words, and the replacement usually means the same thing(though not always). Most free web based email services filter out Javascript, but only Yahoo actually replaces the words; others leave the email's text intact, they simply don't allow the script to run.

So if you ever type the word 'mocha' in a Yahoo email or in a message to someone using yahoo mail, it will be replaced with Expresso(so mocha chocolate wouldn't make any sense anymore). There are plenty of others as well.

gdorf
07-17-2002, 10:56 PM
Heh, does this happen to mail leaving the servers, comming into the servers, or both?

*goes to send someone at yahoo an email about mocha chocolate* (:

Menokh
07-17-2002, 10:58 PM
I'm pretty sure it is both.

inori
07-17-2002, 11:09 PM
Remind me not to send any code through Yahoo e-mail addresses. I can just imagine trying to debug a program after all the keywords got replaced by other random words.

Selah
07-17-2002, 11:12 PM
im gonna go and have fun with that...

*sends his sister e-mail about midevil (sp) mocha

Cyclone
07-17-2002, 11:43 PM
Heh. I wouldn't send an e-mail about mocha, NEway.

Do we have a list of words? Or do I only have to worry if I use HTML e-mails? I mean, if I simply sent an e-mail with nothing but, "Mocha chocolate is cool", would it be edited?

Cyclone