PDA

View Full Version : The History of Zelda (GameSpot)

The Silent Assassin
07-16-2002, 07:19 PM
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/hist_zelda/index.html

Time for TSA's fun analysis of this feature:

Legend of Zelda:

"As for the female name that is the title? Miyamoto admits that he took the name from F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife, Zelda. Literary critics, be forewarned: There's no hidden meaning or subtext. Miyamoto simply liked the sound of the name. Link, poor guy, has to settle for occasional second billing in the subtitles."

Nice. I forgot that! Ok, good points for GameSpot so far.

Adventure of Link:

"An evil magician had tried to get her to reveal the location of the Triforce of Courage. "

TSA Checks it out: The Prince could only inherit the Triforce in part, and sought to search for the missing pieces. Then, he heard that the king had told only the princess about them when he died. So he tried to coax her to tell him, she refused. Then he had the wizard threaten her...

So...He had the Triforce of Wisdom? And wanted the other two pieces...sound like a person we know?

Link's Awakening:

"But first, he'll need to gather the eight Elements of the Sirens .... "

Instruments of the Sirens, or Sirens' Instruments.

"Stealing from the shopkeeper? It could be done ... but your character was renamed "Thief,"

THIEF...all caps.

Ocarina of Time:

"Most importantly, however, the game tells of Ganon's quest for the Triforce of Power and his rise from the human king of thieves to the inhuman king of evil."

Ganon's Quest for the Triforce, period. And for the other two remaining pieces when he splits it into three.

MottZilla
07-16-2002, 07:45 PM
Stealing was funny. :p

vegeta1215
07-16-2002, 07:50 PM
I tried that THIEF trick. It was fun, but I didn't enjoy the consequences :( The trick to save your money is alot better to do (saving the game as the rupees are rolling off, resulting in you keeping most of your rupees when you start again)

The Silent Assassin
07-16-2002, 07:52 PM
Ocarina of Time:

"The Song of Time moved Link back and forward through time."

No, it did not. The Master Sword did...

Majora's Mask:

"One day, while exploring a forest, Link finds a masked stranger named Skull Kid, "

It's the Skull Kid from Ocarina of Time that you playe Saria's Song for.

The Four Swords:

"While Four Swords is essentially a port of the SNES classic The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past"

Is this for real? This site CHARGES for this info...Four Swords is the name of the multiplayer game...

Mak-X
07-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
Adventure of Link:

"An evil magician had tried to get her to reveal the location of the Triforce of Courage. "

TSA Checks it out: The Prince could only inherit the Triforce in part, and sought to search for the missing pieces. Then, he heard that the king had told only the princess about them when he died. So he tried to coax her to tell him, she refused. Then he had the wizard threaten her...

So...He had the Triforce of Wisdom? And wanted the other two pieces...sound like a person we know?

That part that Gamespot said was right. When Zelda refused, the Wizard started casting the spell, and the Prince tried to stop him. Although I'm beginning to think there's more to it than that, that wasn't said correctly in the manual...Notice the Wizard was the Prince's shadow? Resemblence to Agahnim, and of course, Ganondorf. Like you said, who else would be seeking the Triforce?

I read therough the whole thing, I've read the old version, it was a good history of Zelda, and a good analysis of each game.
Ocarina of Time sold 7million worldwide to A Link to the Past's 4 million.

Check http://www.angelfire.com/games4/melora/ for text and scans from the manuals (for Zelda 2).

The Silent Assassin
07-16-2002, 08:03 PM
It just wasn't the Triforce of Courage....

Continuing on:

BS Zelda
Released: 1989

WHAT?!?! LMFAO! WRONG. Super Famicom wasn't even OUT THEN! Try 1995, cited from Nintendo Power.

Also, it's called the Nelsonic Watch, not Watch (and game).

Still no mention of Ancient Stone Tablets.

"Unfortunately for domestic fans, most of these soundtracks are only available in Japan. Legend of Zelda Sound & Drama (SRCL-2940~1, released June 1994) is a two-CD package based on a Link to the Past. The first CD features eight arranged tracks and a twenty-minute narrative "drama" track; the second disc features the original soundtrack (OST) of Link to the Past as well that of the original Legend of Zelda for NES. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Original Soundtrack (PCCG-00475, December 1998) is a single CD of 82 (!) songs from the Nintendo 64 classic. And the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Hyrule Symphony disc (ZMCX-102, January 1999 ) features thirteen songs arranged for a string quartet and ocarina. For more availability information, check your favorite importer.

The US has only seen a single soundtrack release: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time soundtrack (November 1998). Weighing in at just over seventy-two minutes, this domestic soundtrack offers twenty-nine of Zelda 64's greatest tracks. This is probably the best bet for US fans, as the CD contains most of the music at a far more affordable price than the import. "

TSA has all of those. Sound and Drama is the fucking bomb. They also forgot: Mask of Mujula soundtrack, US Majora's Mask Soundtrack, Nintendo Orchestral Concert Volumes 1 and 2, and the Play It Loud Soundtrack. All contrain Zelda tunes.

Mak-X
07-16-2002, 08:05 PM
Was there a BS thing for Famicom?

The Silent Assassin
07-16-2002, 08:11 PM
No. Where's VEL, he can confirm this. Dude, besides their Zelda1-5 articles, the thing wasn't too great. I didn't bother e-mailing them their blunders...they never respond to "their mistakes".

And Otaku...they had no JAPANESE shit. Dude, this is even more incentive to make my kick ass Zelda site to piss people like this off.

KingArthur
07-16-2002, 08:15 PM
Whaddaya mean they charge? I read it fine for free

The Silent Assassin
07-16-2002, 08:25 PM
I meant the info about Four Swords during E3 was restricted.

vegeta1215
07-16-2002, 08:33 PM
omg...they remember Nintendo cereal too?!? I loved that stuff! "Nintendo...Nintendo, two cereals in one, wow!"

I wish I had some right now :(

here's the picture of the cereal box: http://gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/hist_zelda/z56.html

Mak-X
07-17-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by The Silent Assassin
TSA has all of those. Sound and Drama is the fucking bomb. They also forgot: Mask of Mujula soundtrack, US Majora's Mask Soundtrack, Nintendo Orchestral Concert Volumes 1 and 2, and the Play It Loud Soundtrack. All contrain Zelda tunes.

You forgot Super Famicom Game Music. I want that.
Probably wasn't updated about the music part.
I noticed their link section was empty where before it had plenty of links to fansites, like Orion's favorite, HTLOZ.
Overall I thought it was good, its a History of Zelda, but not as in depth as say, a 100page book on Zelda would be. Just a feature to show all the games and their features.

Warlock
07-17-2002, 02:35 PM
"Nin-ten-do! It's a cereal, wow!" hehe

vegeta1215
07-17-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Warlock
"Nin-ten-do! It's a cereal, wow!" hehe

lol, yeah, that's the only part of the song I remember (and I'm sure it was part of the song! I think those lyrics given on that gamespot page were incomplete)

I also think there was a part that said "Nintendo, it's a fruit flavored crunch", but it's been too long.

jman2050
07-17-2002, 03:27 PM
Don't you know official sites never get it right. IGN said the other day that there were only 100 pokemon in R/B/Y, and they added 151 more in G/S/C. Show's how much attention they pay to detail ;) .