PDA

View Full Version : In 163, what is the new "trigger" enemy?"

ShadowTiger
07-16-2002, 10:28 AM
Like the title says, what exactly does it do?

1)What is the purpose.
2)What Cset does it use.
3)Where is it representated in the new enemy tiles?
4)How many HP does it have?
5)What can kill it/what can't?
6)How will it work in conjuntion with the boss flag?
7)How much will it hurt us?
8)Can we give it an appearance, like a tripwire?
9)Will it be like the trigger->Perm/temp combos?
10)Could it be used with #6 to be used in an "event" from Jigglysaints Tutorial Hints?

Thank you:)

Praethus
07-16-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Britannianhero4

10)Could it be used with #6 to be used in an "event" from Jigglysaints Tutorial Hints?

That's exactly what it's for. It has not appearance or spot on the new enemy animations. It doesn't interact with Link in anyway. You can't see or touch it. You can't hurt it. It can't hurt you. It was designed to be used for boss flag events and such. Hope this helps.

Jigglysaint
07-16-2002, 02:40 PM
Yup, that's exactly why it was added. In fact, who do you think was the one who asked for the enemy in the first place?

Don't worry, hopefully me events trick will become obsolete.

ShadowTiger
07-16-2002, 04:14 PM
Thanks. But can you give us an (detailed) example of how it is used? I'm sure it will be as helpful as your other neat tricks, Jigglysaint.

Jigglysaint
07-16-2002, 04:25 PM
JIGGLYSAINT'S SECRETS OF THE ZQUEST UNIVERSE

Finally, I will be revealing my secrets to the full public. Most of my secrets require version 1.92 of Zquest. Some of these tricks are somewhat advanced untill you know what to do.

Included in this tutorial of my secrets are several things:

1. Treasure Chests. Even thought this is common knowlege, this was and still is my key contribution the the Zquest community. Simple, but I beat everybody to the punch so now I own the bragging rights.

Treasure chests are make of three parts: The closed chest, the open chest, and flag #10, the Armos-item flag that you would use to place an item under a statue. The first step is to grab the chest tiles, or make them(I prefer grabbing). Then, right-click on the combo you want to put the first tile(closed chest) on. This brings up the combo editor. Now, make the combo solid and select your closed chest tile. Now give it the attribut of slash-item, or slash, it doesn't matter much. Now make an open chest and instead of making the combo completely solid, make only the top half of he combo solid. This allows you to grab the item when it appears. Now, place your closed chest where you want it. Now select the open chest and make it the undercombo for whatever room you are in(Note, you can't put a chest and a movable block or slashable grass on the same screen because of the undercombo. You can use flag #9, but the secret sound will sound when you slash grass or bush). Now put flag #10 on the chest. You are almost done. The last thing you need to do is tell the game what to put in the chest. This can be accomplished by going to the Data menu, select a special item room, the select the item from the list. You can also just push A on the keyboard and type in the item number, but you probably won't know what number corrospond to what item. Of the top of my head I know that #9 is a key, and #49 is a heart piece. Also, you can do this with bushes and pots as well.

2. Events. Yes, you heard me correctly, events!

This will take time to explain, plus you need two other things, somthing you want to do, and version 1.92. You need the latter because of a special enemy called "fire". I'm pushing Dark Nation for a special trigger enemy, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

The first thing you need to do is to get rid of the fire tile that is next to the guys in the tile editor. This will make it so you won't be able to see the enemy on screen. except for the spawn tile. Next, make a plan. You can do several things: Make a secret open off screen, make massive changes to landscape, and make Boss Keys. The latter is very advanced and complicated.

Now, remember one thing; you can only have one event per dungeon map. I'll explain later. Okay, so let's say that we want to have some stairs apprear in a room when we kill the boss in another room. How can we do that? The answer is: Boss Flags! When you kill somthng(and this includes getting anything a guy gives you), the boss flag is triggered, and all other rooms with the same flag have their enemies get killed too. So, what does that mean? Remember the now invisible fire enemy? That is the secret. Set a boss room up as normal, with the boss flag set. Now, go to the room to be "remotely triggered", and add one fire enemy. Now use flag #37(enemy 1), and place it in a corner of the screen. This works best in dungeons because you can never reach the enemy with any weapon while caves and overworlds can let you kill it with the boomerang. Okay, now that you have the enemy on the screen, set up two things: Boss flag, and enemies-secret. Now place flags #16 - #31 anywhere you want to. We are using stairs for this example, so add stairs to the template screen, then select it using the secret combo command. Now set up the screen as would normally would if there were stairs there. That part depends on you. Now try it. If you did it right, when you kill the boss, you trigger the stairs. You can use this in imaginative ways to make the game better. One way is locking out maps. This will prevent you from going back to a certain map or screen. You can figure this out on your own for now.

3. Boss Keys.

This is by far the most advanced thing I have ever come up with yet. You need to do a few things: First, select the item "misc 1" from the item sprites menu. Now replace it with a Boss key tile. Now make a boss door for use in the dungeon. Get rid of the fire tile next to the guys. Now, in the combo editor, do this: Add the Boss door(this only needs to be 2 tiles(like locked doors or stutters), making both tiles solid. Now add a closed chest, but instead of making it completely solid, make the lower half walkable. Then set it to "pit" combo. The next thing is to set up the room that will have the key. Make it with a closed chest, then copy the screen and paste it to a screen next to it. Set up a tilewarp for the first, and a sidewarp for second, in the direction you will exit the room, leading back to the room before the first room. On the second screen, replace the closed chest(with the pit combo) with the open one. Now set the Boss flag, enemies-secret, and hold up item flags. Now go to guys and select the fire. One more thing I forgot to mention, it you didn't allredy, check the "no guy fire" rule to get rid of fire in rooms. Now, in the second room, place the fire enemy in the corner. Back to the first room, fire in corner, open chest as secret flag #16, and put the flag on the open chest. Boss flag, enemies-secret, and you are done the first part. Now go to the room that will have the Boss door. Don't go into tools to make the door, but draw it manually. Keepp in mind that you need to place it in the middle if it's on the top wall. Now put the two Boss door tiles over the open door ones. Put secret fags #16 and #17. Set them to the open door tiles. Fire in corner, and turn on the Boss flag and enemies-secret flag.

If it worked right, when you walk into the closed chest, you appear in the idetical room, hold the key over your head, go back to the Boss door, and it opens.

4. Appearing chests. Using the chest with the pit combo, make it a secret tile. Use the trigger permenent combo for a switch. Identical room with item, side warp to get back. This, and the Boss key trick will only work in rooms with dead ends.

I hope this helps you out to make the best quests possible.

Questions: [email protected], or [email protected] (the first is better).

Copyright 2002, Jigglysaint AKA "King Tom" AKA Tom Williams.

All rights reserved.

Yes I copied and pasted, but I think this explains it well. Also, don't forget to play arround too.

Cyclone
07-16-2002, 10:47 PM
I posted a huge thing on this, once, but here I post again...

Do the following:

Create a standard room, with a shutter on one wall. This is the door that you intend to remain locked until some certain progress in the level.
Place a trigger enemy as the first enemy. Place other enemies as normal (optional).
Open up the enemy flags, and check Dungeon Boss.
Create a standard boss room, exactly as before.
Now, after defeating the boss, the boss flag goes off in every room with that flag, thus causing all enemies in the "trigger" room to not appear. Thus, you don't have a trigger anymore, and the door opens.

Now, to answer the questions.

1)What is the purpose.

See above. Temporary blockage until you defeat a boss, or a certain group of enemies in an extra dungeon. You can use it for a locked door, or for a puzzle that requires death of all enemies in the room (including the trigger).

2)What Cset does it use.

N/A.

3)Where is it representated in the new enemy tiles?

It's listed somewhere around the Tektites, and any other enemy beginning with a T. They are alphabetical, see...it's marked "trigger".

4)How many HP does it have?

None. It's an invisible, stationary enemy that does nothing; i.e. it doesn't exist, but its' presence can be felt.

5)What can kill it/what can't?
6)How will it work in conjuntion with the boss flag?

See my example.

7)How much will it hurt us?

No harm done by this enemy; it just holds the door shut.

8)Can we give it an appearance, like a tripwire?

No.

9)Will it be like the trigger->Perm/temp combos?

No. It's an enemy that works with the boss flag. Otherwise, you cannot demolish it.

Talk to JS.

Catches his breath.

How's that? :)

Cyclone

Samson007
07-17-2002, 09:11 PM
O_O Wow this is really good info!