PDA

View Full Version : Magnet Trains

obi
07-16-2002, 09:34 AM
I was reading up on Magnet trains after watching something about them on tommorrows world many moons ago. The concept was simple. The train is propelled at high speed using electromagnets.

I, myself like the idea. But what is you oppinion on them?

BTW - here is a small page on the trains if you need a bit more info on them Magnet trains (http://howthingswork.virginia.edu/magnetically_levitated_trains.html)

Raichu86
07-16-2002, 09:49 AM
I'd still never use a train to get anywhere. My dad wouldn't like the idea because they'd go too fast to chase. :sweat:

Menokh
07-16-2002, 03:51 PM
Maglevs they are called.

They are in use in some parts of Europe, but I don't think they've spread elsewhere yet. I like the general idea of Maglev trains, they are cleaner and travel at 300 mph. I'd like to use a train more often, but on Cape Cod there isn't much of a point to it, all we have is this corny scenic railroad POS.

obi
07-16-2002, 03:53 PM
I was kinda hoping for them to create some sort of underground super highway using Maglevs. This would make things like planes obsolete.

Fiyerstorm
07-16-2002, 04:04 PM
I'd like it but I wouldn't ride one that travel across the ocean floor....but if it was on the surface of the ocean with at least 2 miles width of extra man-made land sctreching as long as the track so it would be easy to escape from danger....then yes!

King Link
07-16-2002, 07:49 PM
I think that Magnet Trains are cool and very efficient, and they don't pollute.

Personally, I think this sort of technology (not necessarily magnets) should be used for cars and some other type of main transportation, to prevent more pollution.

Also, I would ride a train, they are quite fun, some of which take you on tours across entire parks, provinces, states and countries.