PDA

View Full Version : are you sure they teleported?

Selah
07-15-2002, 03:16 PM
Im not so sure that the aussies teleported a laser beam. i mean the created it, destoyed it then created it again. Are you so sure it was the same? are you sure they teleported something and didnt destroy then recreat it? Just questning what they did.

MottZilla
07-15-2002, 03:31 PM
I think no.

Selah
07-15-2002, 03:46 PM
Well it kinda sounds like they are trying to take credit for something they didnt do. But what do i know?

AlexMax
07-15-2002, 04:27 PM
I personally think that they were successful.

With the amount of media and attention they would be getting, it would be foolhearty to make the same mistake as the 'Cold Fusion' incident.

Menokh
07-15-2002, 04:33 PM
Alex is right.
The cold fusion incident was when a team of researchers claimed to have acheived cold fusion, which is nuclear fusion using water at room temperature. While it is thought to be possible, they didn't acheive it; they mistook a completely different chemical reaction for cold fusion.

As for the teleportation, the laser beam got to the other side of the room much faster than it would have if they didn't teleport it. And they wouldn't risk that kind of announcement if they weren't sure it was real.

Selah
07-15-2002, 04:40 PM
Well, they destroyed the laserbeam. then created it again. That isnt teleporting. no, thats timing. so really all they did was destoy something then recreat it at the right time.

Menokh
07-15-2002, 04:47 PM
Seleh, teleporting something requires that you destroy the original and create a new one. Also the laser beam was encoded with a complex randomly(i think it was random) generated code, they did this to be sure it was the same beam.

If they were to teleport a clump of matter, they would have to simultaneously destroy the original and create a new copy. In theory you could turn off the destruction part of it, and clone whatever it is over and over again. Some scientists think that living creatures will never be teleported, due to complications with sentience or semi-sentience; and I happen to agree, I think you'd wind up with a dead body.

Cyclone
07-15-2002, 11:30 PM
Ever read a Michael Crichton novel called Timeline? Human teleportation is discussed. Surreal. In similar detail.

Cyclone

Paradox
07-16-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Menokh
Seleh, teleporting something requires that you destroy the original and create a new one.

maybe what they did, but true teleporting is taking something and moving the EXACT SAME object to another location. no recreation. just movement.

Cyclone
07-16-2002, 12:57 AM
Point made. Paradox is right; otherwise, it wouldn't be called teleporting.

Cyclone

Selah
07-16-2002, 01:33 AM
Well, what sparked this is my wondering what the difference between sunlight now or sunlight 5 minuets later. if a beam strikes the ground the beam is destroyed. the light remanes but the beam is gone. Now lets say i fire another beam in a different location. Same laser pointer same thing. did i teleport the beam? i think not. and that is what the aussies did.

C-Dawg
07-16-2002, 02:12 AM
I've read the first bit of Timeline actually. Up until it turns into an action adventure through midevial England, anyway. And I dont recall them really ever talking about teleportation... they just use the cute idea that parallel quantum universes exist, but they arn't simultanious, so by shrinking people down and injecting them into the "quantum foam" they can send them back in time. Problematic, but very cute.

-C

Mitsukara
07-16-2002, 03:29 AM
Paradox is right; destroying something and remaking it is not moving the actual object, and therefore not transportation or teleportation at all.

*tries to think of something clevar and useful to add*

Uh... I like swords.

Rafnul
07-16-2002, 03:33 AM
You know what they did with a laser is called?

"Recreation"

Raichu86
07-16-2002, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure I believe it yet. I think I'm more leaning towards they DID teleport than didn't.

The Silent Assassin
07-16-2002, 07:06 PM
I have no clue what you all are talking about? When and who did this? Would have been nice to see a link to something.