PDA

View Full Version : What do you like best from RPGs?

3-Headed Monkey
07-14-2002, 02:51 PM
I like the story the best, no matter how you play through the game, even with cheats it still seems like an interactive story.

In fact almost all of my RPGs (even Suikoden, the game I always talk about) I use Gameshark cheats. I never was fond of leveling up, that's why the cheats I use are just quick level gain. I use to use inf health codes, but that's just not fun.

And don't say that Gameshark destroys the game, it only does that if you abuse it (like giving you items that are part of the quest), or if leveling up is somehow fun to you.

inori
07-14-2002, 06:32 PM
I generally like the story... which is why I prefer RPGs to any other type of game. The first time I play any RPG, I try to complete it without assistance. The second time through (if it was any good at all, there's always a second time through), I go to gamefaqs.com or rpgamer.com and find out everything I can about the game, and try to get everything.

DukenukemX
07-14-2002, 06:34 PM
I have to say story. RPG games are not fun to play over and over again. There is no real skill involved with these games. The only reason I play them is for the story.

I don't understand why anyone would enjoy selecting commands and sitting back watching to see if it worked out. :rolleyes:

Thats why they should make more games like Zelda 64. So I can at least be more involved in the game.

vegeta1215
07-14-2002, 07:00 PM
The story and music are the most memorable things from RPGs for me. Next are the characters, but they're pretty well tied into the story part.

3-Headed Monkey
07-14-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by DukenukemX
I have to say story. RPG games are not fun to play over and over again. There is no real skill involved with these games. The only reason I play them is for the story.

Skill can very well be involved depending on your style and strategy in playing. You could waste lots of time building up and make it easy, but you could also go through the game with a better strategy or something like that. It's not at all fun to just sit there and build levels, that's why it's better to get better strategies and know just when to do certain commands. I have a friend who fought the Golem Boss on CT without Luminair and didn't find out until later that you were supposed to use it. Although I'm sure plenty of people have done this, it's an example of how to have a much more fun style.

Mak-X
07-14-2002, 08:28 PM
They're long, involve a story, and have many characters. There's a bit of strategy to it too, where your choosing commands to decide your attack. I dislike random battles in Final Fantasy 2 at first, but after a while, I just go into it. Maybe its something like I think Gabe or Tycho descirbed playing FFX, you keep playing and winning battles and you hear the victory theme.

Cronic
07-14-2002, 08:34 PM
Action... and seats with beverage holders, but mainly action.

slothman
07-14-2002, 08:35 PM
I like the general way they are designed. The way you move to pick up items or look in chests or talk to people.

mrz84
07-15-2002, 06:04 PM
i choose other because the characters themselves (which would be story i guees) and the music captivate me into a game. the plot has to be decent. graphics.....:sweat: who needs them? sure smoething visually good like the ps1 and ps2 final fantasies are nice to see the cut scenes, but grapics can spoil the gameplay if to much is put into thinking that they are what make the game. that's why some people i know say that the older systems (example: nes, snes, genisis, gameboy, and such) aren't worth the money to buy these days. and believe me. i know quite a few people who think like that. :sweat: maybe one or two on the forums but 95% of them are not. :kawaii:

Dracula
07-15-2002, 07:41 PM
story is everything... story is everything... story is everything...

That's my opinion. Exploring through a story is an RPG in my mind.

Maverick_Zero
07-16-2002, 07:34 AM
Story of course, like in my favorite RPG Earthbound, There were good fights, but I was particularly fond of the extremely strange story. Even though there was hardly any character development. Story is more important because you've got to figure it out so it can mess with your mind like in all the final fantasy's.