PDA

View Full Version : The Legend of Zelda

Mak-X
07-14-2002, 01:00 AM
What a great game. Definitely one of my favorites now. I finally beat the second quest! I went through the entire 1st and 2nd quest, with the second quest being mostly new to me because I never played past Level 2, and I didn't use any maps/guides this time. I've overcome any fear I had about Level 9. Probably sounds silly, just the way Level 9 is, its all grey and white, huge and full of monsters, something scary about it, guess it came from playing it when I was younger. I played the original Legend of Zelda on my NES if anyone was wondering.

Compared to new games like A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, Zelda 1 is pretty basic. But then I had to search for Level 6,7, and 8 (2nd quest) and so I started bombing, burning and using the recorder/whistle everywhere. There's tons of caves everywhere, full of people that want to take your money for door repairs! The game was a lot of fun. Traveling all over Hyrule, searching for the dungeon entrances. Figuring out the dungeons and the small puzzles they present with the layout. Something just snapped and this game became really fun at the end. I'm glad I didn't look at the NES Atlas to find Level 6, 7, and 8. I remembered the whistle, and what do you know? the graveyard had the entrance to Level 6. Some dungeons in the 2nd quest seemed easier than the previous ones with the choice of enemies, but then the dungeons required more endurance and used more bosses as minibosses. One of the dungeons where you go into the Triforce room to get to another room for the dungeon item was neat, and having to kill Dodongos to get to a stairway which lead to the Triforce room, I was surprised when there was no boss preceding the Triforce room.

When I was nearing the end of Level 9, with only a few rooms to go, I came across Patra and I now I could hear the boss sound for the next room but I didn't give it much thought and had a small idea that Patra could be guarding Ganon. Then I walk into the next room and Link holds up the Triforce of Wisdom and the fight with Ganon begins, and I was like "Ganon!! Oh noo, I didn't get the Silver arrows", so I had to save and restart (manually).
Ganon isn't at all that hard, but you do have to know to get the Silver Arrows and use it on him, plus slash at him as he moves invisibly with the fireballs. The big difficulty is just getting through Level 9 to Ganon.

I still hate Like Likes but I can kill them without much fear (they're always after me magical shields!)
Blue Wizzorbes are like the hardest enemy for me. I could take the Darknuts in the later dungeons, Wizzorbes were less predicable and more offensive.
Red bubbles are annoying!
Hey look at that, the dungeons spell ZELDA!
Thank goodness for the letter.
I still have no idea why I had 2 extra keys in every dungeon in the first quest.
Its almost as if the programmers put a group of Blue Darknuts in 1 space so they can spread out to show their numbers to make me say "Oh crap!"

Now I've finally fully beaten The Legend of Zelda.

vegeta1215
07-14-2002, 01:18 AM
All I can say is, it's about time, lol :D

Yeah, I never got past level 4 on my original cart. That's the level where you have to walk through the wall in the triforce chamber, go through a few rooms, and pick up the raft in order to get to the next level. This past winter when I fixed my NES, I finally beat that level and completed my original game from 1988! Joy :)

True, the original Zelda might not have much to it like the newer ones, but I still think loz and aol are the most challenging Zeldas. One thing I really enjoyed was playing some of the classic style ZC quests that were released after 1.84 came out. People had to think up clever ways to challenge people using the basic Zelda engine. Now, the newest ZC can do so much, it's almost like Zelda 3. Don't get me wrong, lots of the new things are very cool, but not classic feeling if you ask me. Whenever I make a ZC quest, it's gonna be classic style all the way!

Saffith
07-14-2002, 01:25 AM
Good work, Mak. Gonna try ZC's third?

I never beat the second... Last time I tried, I had just found the entrance to level 6 when my brother bumped the system and froze the game. And I hadn't saved since level 3. So I sorta didn't feel much like playing after that...
I suppose I ought to go finish it sometime.

Cronic
07-14-2002, 01:50 AM
Ahh... Comp[are the final dungeons in Z1 and Z2 to the one in Oot... Or worse MM...

slothman
07-14-2002, 03:23 AM
I beat both but I had hints. I actually used the call center for the answer on how to get the whistle in level 2. I never thought of walking through the wall. I don't like the way where you had t orandomly bomb, burn, and whistle all the screens though. That was too tedius for me. Especially when I got a "repair charge". :(

The Silent Assassin
07-14-2002, 01:49 PM
Red Wizzrobes do more damage with their "magic" than Blue Wizzrobes. The hardest enemy for me is taking on any enemy in a "statue firing" heavy room. In a stand alone room, Darknuts are a joke, and I can handle blue wizzrobes pretty easily.

When I first beat Zelda in 1989, I only got up to Level 3 on the second quest...I couldn't find Level 4. I also couldn't beat The Adventure of Link then.

Then two years later, when I got America Online, I looked up where Level 4 was, and proceeded to beat the game finally. I also looked up some help on The Adventure of Link for the Island Palace, and then was able to beat it.

The Legend of Zelda is a good game to play in front of people to show off...as you can beat it in about an hour, and must people will be captivated that long to see you do it.

The other thing I do is beat a dungeon in OoT for people, that's about as long as they can keep watching.

Ganonator
07-14-2002, 02:59 PM
I originally have my cart from back in '86 (the gold one) and i had a save on it where i completed the 2nd quest like 14 times. The biggest challenge was to go back and beat the first quest having forgotten where everything was. It is definitely still my favorite game both first and second.