PDA

View Full Version : What's missing from today's gaming experience

Beldaran
07-13-2002, 12:43 PM
Role Playing Games. Granted the PC has a lot of cool role playing titles, but they aren't the same as what I'm talking about.

I am just getting into emulation, and I'm playing all these fantastic SNES RPG's like the 7th Saga series, Lufia series, Breath of Fire series, Final Fantasy (the old cool style like FF5, FF3, FF2), and Secret of Evermore. Why don't they make games like this anymore? I mean, Square still makes final fantasy games, but they are more like an interactive movie. Why don't they make cool RPG's in this style anymore? Everything's gone 3D, and they spend so much effort making these games 3D that they don't bother to make any really good RPG's.

Well, no matter how many boring games with flashy graphics come out, this player will still rely on old games for his RPG experience.

Gerudo
07-13-2002, 01:08 PM
i second that! ive tried 3d RPG's... 80% of them suck.

2d rpg (ala snes) are the best

PLAY CHRONO TRIGGER!!!!!!!111111

slothman
07-13-2002, 01:22 PM
I've heard alot about Chrono Trigger. Is it like the FF series? What system does it come on? What is it like? I do agree about the "interactive movie" quality about today's RPG's I still 2D is the best.

Beldaran
07-13-2002, 01:58 PM
Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games. It is for the SNES. It is similar to FF3 in many respects, but ENTIRELY different in many others. There aren't random battles, for one thing. I find the story and characters to be more lovable and engrossing than FF games. I LOVE lucca. She's my favorite character. And the soundtrack is out of this world. I have the CD of the soundtrack and I love it. What a fantastic game.

Elemental Knight
07-13-2002, 02:24 PM
Chrono Trigger is often considered to be the pinnacle of Squaresoft's RPG might, haveing been made right at the end of the Golden Era of RPGs (which basically ended with FFVII, when RPGs began to shift from "Novellas" to "Movies" in style). It uses ATB, the popular battle system of the time, and the plot involves a teenage boy being forced by Good Samaritan-ness to jump int oa portal to save a girl he only just met, and wacky hijinks ensue. The graphics pushed a fwe limits on the old SNES, and the only problem was the hit detection (not in battle, mind you, in towns and such).

Anyhow, yeah, I agree with the whole idea of at least SOME RPGs being made in the old SoM/SoE, or even FFIV/VI style. I mean, who wouldn't want a re-vamped Secret of Evermore? The graphics wouldn't have to be a big issue, because the whole thing is a B-Movie with lots of B-Movie quotes in it. Although, the Boy's hair might cause some graphics strains (damn, that kid's hair bounces like hell! What's his conditioner?!).

vegeta1215
07-13-2002, 02:26 PM
That's why I like GBA so much, lots of RPGs are coming out, esp in Japan. And if we're lucky, we'll get the ports.

MottZilla
07-13-2002, 04:58 PM
Ya, RPGs aren't that great nowdays. The market got flooded with them for awhile. Many sucked I believe.

But ya, stick to the old stuff. Usually much higher quality. Like Chrono Trigger, FF4-6, Earth Bound, etc.

Cronic
07-13-2002, 05:10 PM
I think you could include FF7 in this category, since then it's then been too damned much.

teddyboy420
07-14-2002, 12:33 AM
There deffinetly has been a shortage of quality RPG's lately. Although I did like FFX quite a bit, despite how completley linear it was. Since then though I haven't played one that I liked, and it is really depressing.

sidenote:
My favorite RPG (I'd even go as far as favorite game period) was Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System. I got an SMS emu just so I could play it again.